Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dustmasks - Are they all useless.

Having tried a few dustmasks when working with rubble, i can't find one
yet that enables you to breathe easily and keep the dust away.

Has anyone come across any good ones? If so what make are they and
where did you buy them from?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm

wrote:

Having tried a few dustmasks when working with rubble, i can't find one
yet that enables you to breathe easily and keep the dust away.

Has anyone come across any good ones? If so what make are they and
where did you buy them from?

These work very well for me - perfect fit to the face (lots of soft
rubber in the mask and both head and neck straps), and total isolation
from dust, smells, organic vapours etc:

Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hi. thanks for the suggestion. having checked the website, the main
protection is gas/vapour. How would they cope with dusty rubble
conditions such as demolishing walls etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

lavenders19:
hi. thanks for the suggestion. having checked the website, the main
protection is gas/vapour. How would they cope with dusty rubble
conditions such as demolishing walls etc.

Hi, lavenders19, please will you start to quote a little better?

That said, having just read your/JR's psot, you should just Google
for "respirator dust" or similar. You'd do well to consider a
respirator that takes various different cartridges, depending on
what they're "filtering", rather than the ubiquitous "aluminium
strip on nose and sock elastic" type. More expensive, but better.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

On 13 Mar 2006 14:17:24 -0800, wrote:

Having tried a few dustmasks when working with rubble, i can't find one
yet that enables you to breathe easily and keep the dust away.

Has anyone come across any good ones? If so what make are they and
where did you buy them from?

Definitely.

I use a number of different kinds of masks and respiratory protection
products for different purposes.

I gave up using the disposable masks ages ago because they are not
that effective, don't seem to fit very well and quickly become
uncomfortable.

I always use 3M products because although a bit more expensive,
consumables (if you use them) are easy to obtain and the products are
of good quality. I don't think that skimping on safety equipment is
a smart move.

For a basic mask, you could look at the 3M 4251. This is a
semi-disposable type that will fit well because it is well
constructed. However, you eventually throw it away.

I think that the 3M 6000 series is a better buy because it is a better
quality mask and you can buy disposable filters at quite low prices
rather than throwing the whole thing away. You can select between
particulate and chemical filters or combinations of them. Thus you
don't clog up more expensive chemical and vapour filters when you are
just working with dust. The 7000 and 7500 series are better still for
not much more money.

http://www.greenham.com/c/pl/67881/3...ries-Half-Mask

are a reasonably well priced on line supplier.

--

..andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On 14 Mar 2006 09:24:16 GMT, Ian Stirling

Having tried a few dustmasks when working with rubble, i can't find one
yet that enables you to breathe easily and keep the dust away.

Has anyone come across any good ones? If so what make are they and
where did you buy them from?

Silly solution, that I find works just fine.
Hosepipe + short length of aquarium tubing.
Put the hosepipe to a place with clean air, and learn to breath in
through mouth, and out through nose.

Just like when escapees from the chain gang hide underwater! Except
for the breathing out through the nose of course. I'm definitely going
to give this method a try. My wife is so pleased and relieved after
catching me looking at the impressive airshield respirator earlier.
She's a great believer in simplicity (and economy). I wonder how easy
it would be to adapt this hose method for use with a mask that allows
mouth or nose breathing in both directions? The hosepipe will restrict
mobility a little but that user can always strap on a lead weighted
belt to discourage unnecessary wandering. Cheers for the tip.

--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ian Stirling

Mike Halmarack wrote:
On 14 Mar 2006 09:24:16 GMT, Ian Stirling

Having tried a few dustmasks when working with rubble, i can't find one
yet that enables you to breathe easily and keep the dust away.

Has anyone come across any good ones? If so what make are they and
where did you buy them from?

Silly solution, that I find works just fine.
Hosepipe + short length of aquarium tubing.
Put the hosepipe to a place with clean air, and learn to breath in
through mouth, and out through nose.

Just like when escapees from the chain gang hide underwater! Except
for the breathing out through the nose of course. I'm definitely going
to give this method a try. My wife is so pleased and relieved after

Honestly, I only found it a problem for the first 20 min, afterwards, it
became easy, even when doing other forgettable work.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

In message , The Medway
Handyman writes
wrote:
Having tried a few dustmasks when working with rubble, i can't find
one yet that enables you to breathe easily and keep the dust away.

Has anyone come across any good ones? If so what make are they and
where did you buy them from?

Come to that, how about one that doesn't steam up my glasses?

As a glasses wearer with a narrow nose (not small, just narrow!), for
general masks I've found Silverline fold-flat/valved no.282404 both very
comfortable and misting free. Local hardware shop / Silverline stockist
sells them individually if required.
http://www.silverlinetools.com/shop/Safety&Security/Safety/d10/sd27,
about 80% down the page.

Toolstation seem to stock the same individually or boxes of 10,
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Safety/HeadandFace/d70/sd520,
12939 & 93297 about 1/2 way down the page.

For organic vapours, Screwfix 14194
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A331070&ts=61712&id=14194
is fantastic.
--
steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

With the semi disposable 4251, how long would it last with dusty
conditions?