Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Galvanised nails?

I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I
intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and
expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one
that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than
the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails
in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Bodgit writes
I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I
intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and
expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one
that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than
the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails
in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?

BOP (bright zinc) nuts and bolts are shiny (presumably electro-plated,
and not dipped). Dun about the gold coloured nails, though. Maybe
they're gold plated!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ian Jackson
writes
In message
,
Bodgit writes
I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I
intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and
expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one
that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than
the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails
in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?

BOP (bright zinc) nuts and bolts are shiny (presumably electro-plated,
and not dipped). Dun about the gold coloured nails, though. Maybe
they're gold plated!

When I posted it, that definitely said "BZP (bright zinc passivated)
nuts and bolts....". Beaten again by the spell checker, it seems!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:27*pm, Bodgit wrote:
I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I
intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and
expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one
that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than
the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails
in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?

Passivated BZP. Pretty standard for nail-guns (and common for screws
as well).

I doubt it's as corrosion resistant as a dipped galvanised finish (but
I might be wrong) but maybe all that soft zinc would end up jamming up
a nailgun.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:59*pm, Bolted wrote:
On Apr 22, 8:27*pm, Bodgit wrote:

I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I
intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and
expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one
that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than
the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails
in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?

Passivated BZP. *Pretty standard for nail-guns (and common for screws
as well).

I doubt it's as corrosion resistant as a dipped galvanised finish (but
I might be wrong) but maybe all that soft zinc would end up jamming up
a nailgun.

The reason I question is is because I was "browsing" in a BM yesterday
(when the order came), and saw some proper galvanised nails (genuine
Paslode brand so cost a fortune).

I'm just surprised that someone can sell something as "galvanised"
when they're not!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 9:26*pm, Bodgit wrote:
On Apr 22, 8:59*pm, Bolted wrote:

On Apr 22, 8:27*pm, Bodgit wrote:

[...]

Fair enough. Paslode like jamming anyway, I hear (no experience, just
hearsay, I use air).

I think you'd be within your rights to send them back if they were
described as galvanised rather than BZP, if you can be bothered. But
the reason they were cheaper than the real thing was, as usual, that
some quality was removed to reduce the price, so you takes your choice
as ever.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4/23/2011 8:26 AM, Bodgit wrote:

The reason I question is is because I was "browsing" in a BM yesterday
(when the order came), and saw some proper galvanised nails (genuine
Paslode brand so cost a fortune).

I'm just surprised that someone can sell something as "galvanised"
when they're not!

Hot dip nails (etc.) are sold as "galvanised" when they are not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 13:26:46 -0700 (PDT), Bodgit
wrote:

On Apr 22, 8:59*pm, Bolted wrote:
On Apr 22, 8:27*pm, Bodgit wrote:

[...]

The expensive Paslode nails that are galvanised (Galv plus) actually
look more like BZP passivated ones than traditional hot dipped nails
do. The last lot I bought for a relatives fence were, last I saw,
holding up well after about 5 years exposure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:27*pm, Bodgit wrote:
I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I
intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and
expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one
that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than
the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails
in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?

Yes, they are galvanised. (Electrolytic process)
They are not suitable for outdoors, you need either stainless steel or
hot dipped (grey) ones for that.

All the shiny finish ones are intended for indoors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/04/2011 20:27, Bodgit wrote:
I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I
intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and
expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one
that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than
the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails
in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?

That is zinc plating with chromate passivation. It is slighly cheaper
than zinc plating with clear passivation, which you wouldn't notice.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 22, 8:27*pm, Bodgit wrote:

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new
technology that I'm not familiar with?

IMHE, there is no credible nail gun that uses credibly galvanised
nails. This is a problem with the use of nail guns for chunky work.

Good galvanising on nails is a hot dip that comes out thick & rough.
They don't rust, they don't work loose. OTOH, they don't feed easily
through nail guns either. So all the nail gun nails I've seen have
been some sort of basket electrogalvanise that is smooth and slippery,
but also thin.

My "nail gun" is a thirty quid Vaughan framing hammer. It's lighter to
carry and is sinks nails with one hit. People carrying 300 quid
nailguns also exclaim surprise that I spent a whole thirty quid on a
mere hammer. Mind you, add a lanyard to it.

Galvanised watering can repair SRT UK diy 19 April 12th 18 12:09 AM
bright or galvanised nails? Fred UK diy 4 August 10th 10 03:05 PM
Galvanised nails with the NEW pressure treated wood???? terry Home Repair 5 September 25th 07 09:53 PM
galvanised nails Neil UK diy 13 November 14th 05 03:48 PM
galvanised railings mindwipe UK diy 4 June 16th 05 07:18 PM