Neil

Default galvanised nails

Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised nails. I
cannot find the loss head galvanised nails anywhere. Can anyone suggest
where to buy them. I have looked on screwfix site but they only have bright
loss head nails. I am securing the t+g boards to 2 inch battens on my sons
garage wall.
Thanks
Neil

The3rd Earl Of Derby

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Fixi...ils/d90/sd2140
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Bob Minchin

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote in message ...
Neil wrote:
Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised
nails. I cannot find the loss head galvanised nails anywhere. Can
anyone suggest where to buy them. I have looked on screwfix site but
they only have bright loss head nails. I am securing the t+g boards
to 2 inch battens on my sons garage wall.
Thanks
Neil

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Fixi...ils/d90/sd2140
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Hi Neil,

I don't think that you will find lost head galvanised nails. How about
jagged shank plasterboard nails? These have bugle/csk under the head and
should go in flush into softwood panelling and resist the temptation to pull
out.
The other way would be to use galvanised panel pins and secret nail through
the tongue. I have some of these about 30mm long bought from wickes years
ago. Dunno if they still do them. You would need to use then every few
inches though because as others have said, in a damp atmosphere the T&G is
going to want to move all over the place.
You might consider applying paint or varnish (anything left over or cheap
will do) onto the back of the T&G before fitting and then sealing the
exposed surface too once fitted.

Good Luck

Bob

fred

In article , Bob Minchin
writes

Neil wrote:
[...]

Screwfix certainly do sheradised panel pins which are zinc protected but
the surface finish is dull and finer, better if visible imho.
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...;?q=sheradised
--
fred
Plusnet - I hope you like vanilla
Weatherlawyer

Neil wrote:

Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised nails. I
can't find lost head galvanised nails anywhere. I am securing
the t+g boards to 2 inch battens on my son's garage wall.

You can get 1" or longer copper pins almost anywhere. Also get a gadget
for fixing them and a rubber mallet. The bradawl like gadget is a
piston and cylinder that
will take panel pins. No Idea what it's called though. They are quite
cheap.

Andy

Neil wrote:
Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised
nails. I cannot find the loss head galvanised nails anywhere. Can
anyone suggest where to buy them. I have looked on screwfix site but
they only have bright loss head nails. I am securing the t+g boards
to 2 inch battens on my sons garage wall.
Thanks
Neil

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Fixi...ils/d90/sd2140
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Hi Neil,

I don't think that you will find lost head galvanised nails.

Galvanised lost head nails do exist, I've used them before. Best bet is a
proper hardware store/builders merchants.

Andy.

Andy Dingley

On 13 Nov 2005 08:18:38 -0800, "Weatherlawyer"
wrote:

You can get 1" or longer copper pins almost anywhere.

Those are _coppered_ pins, not copper. You can find solid copper nails
fairly cheaply (Screwfix) or non-bending bronze nails at huge expense.
However these are tricky to find in small sizes.

A copper-washed pin looks slightly decorative and has _some_ weather
resistance, but it's nothing like "weatherproof" in the way that a
galvanised nail is.

Weatherlawyer

Andy Dingley wrote:

A copper-washed pin looks slightly decorative

Have you ever heard of secret nailing?

**** off.

Chris Bacon

Neil wrote:
Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised nails. I
cannot find the loss head galvanised nails anywhere. Can anyone suggest
where to buy them. I have looked on screwfix site but they only have bright
loss head nails. I am securing the t+g boards to 2 inch battens on my sons
garage wall.

"Lost head". Do you need galvanised ones? Try Jewsons. You might
use stainless ones, I suppose.... how hard is the wall? How wet?
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
Neil wrote:
Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised
nails. I cannot find the loss head galvanised nails anywhere. Can
anyone suggest where to buy them. I have looked on screwfix site
but they only have bright loss head nails. I am securing the t+g
boards to 2 inch battens on my sons garage wall.

"Lost head". Do you need galvanised ones? Try Jewsons. You might
use stainless ones, I suppose.... how hard is the wall? How wet?

Ahem! he's fixing it to battons.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Chris Bacon

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Neil wrote:
Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised
nails. I cannot find the loss head galvanised nails anywhere. Can
anyone suggest where to buy them. I have looked on screwfix site
but they only have bright loss head nails. I am securing the t+g
boards to 2 inch battens on my sons garage wall.

"Lost head". Do you need galvanised ones? Try Jewsons. You might
use stainless ones, I suppose.... how hard is the wall? How wet?

Ahem! he's fixing it to battons.

Oh, ballcocks, so he is. I got some 2 1/2" ones from TP a year or
three ago for my garage roof, however they're probably a bit long!
I'd still give Jewsons a ring. I wonder how thick the (presumably
matching) is.
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chris Bacon wrote:
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:
Chris Bacon wrote:
Neil wrote:
Thanks for help regarding securing t+g walling using galvanised
nails. I cannot find the loss head galvanised nails anywhere. Can
anyone suggest where to buy them. I have looked on screwfix site
but they only have bright loss head nails. I am securing the t+g
boards to 2 inch battens on my sons garage wall.

"Lost head". Do you need galvanised ones? Try Jewsons. You might
use stainless ones, I suppose.... how hard is the wall? How wet?

Ahem! he's fixing it to battons.

Oh, ballcocks, so he is. I got some 2 1/2" ones from TP a year or
three ago for my garage roof, however they're probably a bit long!
I'd still give Jewsons a ring. I wonder how thick the (presumably
matching) is.

Well regardless about the type of nails used I would never put t&g
panelling up in a garage if its of the 4" nature.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Neil

Thanks to everyone for advice. The garage is going to be used as a "gym" so
I guess the atmosphere will get damp with all the sweating ( ha ha ). I am
thinking of maybe getting a gun to put the nails in with as it is a large
area garage. Any suggestions for a cheap and cheerful one, or is hand
nailing better?
Cheers
Neil

Well regardless about the type of nails used I would never put t&g
panelling up in a garage if its of the 4" nature.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Neil

Thanks to everyone for advice. The garage is going to be used as a "gym" so
I guess the atmosphere will get damp with all the sweating ( ha ha ). I am
thinking of maybe getting a gun to put the nails in with as it is a large
area garage. Any suggestions for a cheap and cheerful one, or is hand
nailing better?
Cheers

Shooting nails into concrete Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 19 August 21st 05 12:07 PM
corrugated flat-tip nails for larch fence panels Rusty UK diy 6 April 17th 05 11:44 PM
plasterboard nails jacob UK diy 9 May 10th 04 12:25 PM
NAILS: A simple question??? Terry King Woodworking 1 July 19th 03 01:54 AM