Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Galvanised nails with the NEW pressure treated wood????

wrote in part connection with another (deck
building) thread :

Quote; "Also, since you're not supposed to use galvanized nails with
the PT put
out now. I don't believe it would be wise to depend on anything".

Could someone please expand/explain that comment; first I've heard of
it!

Posting this a separate/new thread to avoid cluttering the deck
building question/discussion.

TIA for any comments/info. Terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2007-09-25, terry wrote:

Quote; "Also, since you're not supposed to use galvanized nails with
the PT put
out now. I don't believe it would be wise to depend on anything".

Could someone please expand/explain that comment; first I've heard of
it!

See, for example, the Fine Home Building article available at:
http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuilding/how-to/articles/new-pressure-treated-wood-decks.aspx
The third section addresses the corrosive of the "new" PT.

Cheers, Wayne
Posted to alt.home.repair

terry wrote:

wrote in part connection with another (deck
building) thread :

Quote; "Also, since you're not supposed to use galvanized nails with
the PT put
out now. I don't believe it would be wise to depend on anything".

Could someone please expand/explain that comment; first I've heard of
it!

Posting this a separate/new thread to avoid cluttering the deck
building question/discussion.

TIA for any comments/info. Terry

You can use galvanized nails with the new PT. They must be
double dipped hot galvanized, however. You cannot use the
electroplated galvanized. Most fasteners that qualify for PT
are clearly marked as: "Suitable for use with ACQ".

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Bah Humbug, just use stainless steel instead. Using double dipped
galvanized is like trying to polish the proverbial turd.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Bah Humbug, just use stainless steel instead. Using double dipped
galvanized is like trying to polish the proverbial turd.

Better, anodized screws.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Robert Allison wrote:
terry wrote:

wrote in part connection with another (deck
building) thread :

Quote; "Also, since you're not supposed to use galvanized nails with
the PT put
out now. I don't believe it would be wise to depend on anything".

Could someone please expand/explain that comment; first I've heard of
it!

Posting this a separate/new thread to avoid cluttering the deck
building question/discussion.

TIA for any comments/info. Terry

You can use galvanized nails with the new PT. They must be double
dipped hot galvanized, however. You cannot use the electroplated
galvanized. Most fasteners that qualify for PT are clearly marked as:
"Suitable for use with ACQ".

The big box electrogalvanized nails aren't really suitable for anything
except decorative purposes. I was helping a friend and some boxes of
nails got wet during a rainstorm. A few days later there was an
incredible amount of rust on them.