mindwipe

Default galvanised railings

am thinking of getting the metal type veranda for our static caravan
it looks to be zinc plated
wondered if there were any restrictions on paint i could use to make it look
a bit better
was thinking auot primer then auto paint from hafrauds or such but not sure
if it would just peel off
anyone done this before?

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 15 Jun 2005 22:42:53 +0100, "mindwipe"
wrote:

wondered if there were any restrictions on paint i could use to make it look
a bit better

Brand-new zinc is hard to paint onto. A simple trick is just to let it
weather for a few months.

Otherwise you should use an "etching primer". Another usable paint is a
zinc-based primer (Davids 182 is good). This is also the best primer (by
far) for ungalvanised railings that you've cleaned up by thorough wire
brushing. For ones that are stil rusty, a wash of phosphoric acid and a
"red oxide" primer is better.

As to the final paint, then just avoid Hammerite. It's over-hyped and
doesn't work well. Best of all for had wearing outdoor use is something
bitumen-based, like Leyland's truck chassis paint. However this is
literally "Any colour, so long as it's black". Bitumen-based paints are
more elastic and last much longer on bendy railings.

All these paints are available at any good vehicle paint supplier, or
commercial vehicle motor factor (try Edmunds Walker in the phonebook).
They're also cheaper than Halfords, so long as you're not looking for
just a tiny tin.
gordonpuk

Just a thought- have you asked site owner about putting up veranda?
On my site we have to get planning permission from local council
they say things like this, decking etc makes them permanent.
Gordon

mindwipe

"gordonpuk" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just a thought- have you asked site owner about putting up veranda?
On my site we have to get planning permission from local council
they say things like this, decking etc makes them permanent.
Gordon

yes its ok on the site cos its non residential and closed 2 months of the
year

mindwipe

wrote:

[...]

thanks andy
we have an Edmund walker in leeds i believe

Proper Angle For Stair Railings On My Deck Amy L. Woodworking 15 June 10th 14 12:28 AM
rust spots on metal railings Jon UK diy 14 May 21st 05 02:38 PM
Railings Lawrence Zarb UK diy 1 October 29th 04 02:08 PM
Metal Railings - what to paint them with? AK UK diy 12 August 8th 04 02:58 PM
homemade pinboard II, galvanised metal sheet Suz UK diy 12 December 17th 03 05:42 PM