Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Analog TV fault

Anyone know about televisions (analog type). It is a Panasonic TX21MIT/BK.
I only use it for playing DVD's and VCR's. It worked fine until today.
Today when I switch on, the power light comes on, but there absolutely no
sounds of any kind (no high tension activity, I think), I see nothing on
the screen whatsoever.

Is this something that's easy to fix?

(I seem to recall having a TV problem once before and it turned out to be a
bad connection on the back of the tube..

Thanks

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 3:29*pm, "AL_n" wrote:

Anyone know about televisions (analog type). It is a Panasonic TX21MIT/BK..
I only use it for playing DVD's and VCR's. It worked fine until today.
Today when I switch on, the power light comes on, but there absolutely no
sounds of any kind (no high tension activity, I think), I see nothing on
the screen whatsoever.

Is this something that's easy to fix?

(I seem to recall having a TV problem once before and it turned out to be a
bad connection on the back of the tube..

Thanks

Al

Sounds like a PSU problem, but could also be a LOP problem, since the
2 are fairly intertwined. First things to look at are to see what
power lines are up, what arent, and check any fuses and the LOPTr. I
don't know what sort of skillset you have, so not much point me saying
more. If you don't even know what a line output transistor is, bin it
and get another.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:29:13 +0000, AL_n wrote:

Anyone know about televisions (analog type). It is a Panasonic
TX21MIT/BK. I only use it for playing DVD's and VCR's. It worked fine
until today. Today when I switch on, the power light comes on, but there
absolutely no sounds of any kind (no high tension activity, I think), I
see nothing on the screen whatsoever.

Does anything happen if you leave it on for a while?

Can you find the schematic online? (not always an easy task, particularly
when several set designations share a common - but not always listed on
the case - model number)

It sounds like the PSU is doing *something* useful if there's a power
light as these are normally LEDs in any TV that's remotely recent. You
say "no sounds" though - does that include normal audio output? I'm
surprised that you're not getting something from whatever channel it was
tuned to, even if there's no HT and picture.

(I seem to recall having a TV problem once before and it turned out to
be a bad connection on the back of the tube..

Yes, never rule out the simple - although for that kind of fault I'd
expect you to still have normal audio.

cheers

Jules
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/04/2011 15:29, AL_n wrote:
Anyone know about televisions (analog type). It is a Panasonic TX21MIT/BK.
I only use it for playing DVD's and VCR's. It worked fine until today.
Today when I switch on, the power light comes on, but there absolutely no
sounds of any kind (no high tension activity, I think), I see nothing on
the screen whatsoever.

Maybe you've switched it off with the remote. Try hitting a channel
button after switching the set on.

For some slightly annoying reason my Sony CRT set remembers the remote
control activated 'sleep' state through a power switch toggle.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian C wrote in
:

Anyone know about televisions (analog type). It is a Panasonic
TX21MIT/BK. I only use it for playing DVD's and VCR's. It worked fine
until today. Today when I switch on, the power light comes on, but
there absolutely no sounds of any kind (no high tension activity, I
think), I see nothing on the screen whatsoever.

Maybe you've switched it off with the remote. Try hitting a channel
button after switching the set on.

For some slightly annoying reason my Sony CRT set remembers the remote
control activated 'sleep' state through a power switch toggle.

I never had a remote for this TV. I tried pressing channel up and channel
down switch but nothing changed. There is no sound whatsoever.

Thanks to all respondees. I'm not an electronic engineer. The most I've
done is a bit of soldering, e.g., building small ghizmos from circuits in
Practical Wireless. So I guess it's time to go telly-hunting again...

Thanks anyway..

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in
:

PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor directly
to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has an S-video
output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Al

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:

Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor directly
to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has an S-video
output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Highly unlikely.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor directly
to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has an S-video
output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Only if the monitor has a 'TV' input (eg SCART, S-video). If it doesn't,
look up the specs of the monitor. It probably can't sync to the PAL video
from the DVD (15.625KHz line rate) but worth a look - if it does a passive
SCART adaptor will do.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in
:

PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor directly
to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has an S-video
output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Not unless the PC monitor has an anlogue input. Either SCART, or
possibly a yellow phono socket for a composite input. Otherwise, use a
cheap laptop computer as a DVD player. I bought one that would do the
job for a fiver from the local car boot sale a couple of weeks ago.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 20, 2:29 am, "AL_n" wrote:
Anyone know about televisions (analog type). It is a Panasonic TX21MIT/BK.
I only use it for playing DVD's and VCR's. It worked fine until today.
Today when I switch on, the power light comes on, but there absolutely no
sounds of any kind (no high tension activity, I think), I see nothing on
the screen whatsoever.

Is this something that's easy to fix?

Have you opened the littile hidden door that's probably on the front
and pressed all the buttons?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 19, 10:57*pm, John Williamson
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in
:

PS * Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor directly
to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has an S-video
output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Not unless the PC monitor has an anlogue input. Either SCART, or
possibly a yellow phono socket for a composite input. Otherwise, use a
cheap laptop computer as a DVD player. I bought one that would do the
job for a fiver from the local car boot sale a couple of weeks ago.

All PC monitors have analogue input. The issue is scan speeds.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:57 pm, John Williamson
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in
:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor directly
to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has an S-video
output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Not unless the PC monitor has an anlogue input. Either SCART, or
possibly a yellow phono socket for a composite input. Otherwise, use a
cheap laptop computer as a DVD player. I bought one that would do the
job for a fiver from the local car boot sale a couple of weeks ago.

All PC monitors have analogue input. The issue is scan speeds.

And the sync signals. Will VGA monitors work without the H and V sync
signals on the correct lines?

All of which can be overcome by giving Maplin £160 or so for a converter
box. Or an unknown eBay supplier £60 plus delivery.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matty F wrote in news:4edf2821-934c-4ab9-9eb3-
:

Have you opened the littile hidden door that's probably on the front
and pressed all the buttons?

Yes; nothing...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Williamson wrote in
:

Tabby wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:57 pm, John Williamson
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in
:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and
has an S-video output, plus a scart output and a number of phono
outputs
Not unless the PC monitor has an anlogue input. Either SCART, or
possibly a yellow phono socket for a composite input. Otherwise, use
a cheap laptop computer as a DVD player. I bought one that would do
the job for a fiver from the local car boot sale a couple of weeks
ago.

All PC monitors have analogue input. The issue is scan speeds.

And the sync signals. Will VGA monitors work without the H and V sync
signals on the correct lines?

All of which can be overcome by giving Maplin £160 or so for a
converter box. Or an unknown eBay supplier £60 plus delivery.

Thanks..Would this item do the job: http://tinyurl.com/3m6bmg2 ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:
John Williamson wrote in
:

Tabby wrote:
On Apr 19, 10:57 pm, John Williamson
wrote:
AL_n wrote:
"AL_n" wrote in
:
[...]

It should, but double check with the seller on the 0844 number near the
bottom of the page. It seems to accept either composite video, for which
you'll need a phono to BNC converter, available for pennies from Maplin,
or S-Video, both of which you say you have on your player.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has
an S-video output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Most computer monitors won't work at TV resolutions. You can buy
convertors - but a good one would cost more than a TV.

--
*Why do psychics have to ask you for your name? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AL_n wrote:

Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player?

Would this item do the job: http://tinyurl.com/3m6bmg2 ?

Yes, but it's still £30 more that it cost you to pick up an old TV from
freecycle/freegle/whatever-its-called-this-week ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:13:34 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:
AL_n wrote:

Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player?

Would this item do the job: http://tinyurl.com/3m6bmg2 ?

Yes, but it's still ?30 more that it cost you to pick up an old TV from
freecycle/freegle/whatever-its-called-this-week ...

Provided you have the two feet of back-clearance for a decent sized
CRT telly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

root wrote:

On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:13:34 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

pick up an old TV from freecycle/freegle

Provided you have the two feet of back-clearance for a decent sized
CRT telly.

Most people seemed to manage until a few years ago, and quite a large
fraction of flat panel TVs still occupy the traditional corner position.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on 19 Apr 2011 14:29:13 GMT
AL_n wrote:

Anyone know about televisions (analog type). It is a Panasonic TX21MIT/BK.
I only use it for playing DVD's and VCR's. It worked fine until today.
Today when I switch on, the power light comes on, but there absolutely no
sounds of any kind (no high tension activity, I think), I see nothing on
the screen whatsoever.

Is this something that's easy to fix?

(I seem to recall having a TV problem once before and it turned out to be a
bad connection on the back of the tube..

Ah! The proverbial: "I'm sure it's only a loose wire ..."

--

Terry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has
an S-video output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Most computer monitors won't work at TV resolutions. You can buy
convertors - but a good one would cost more than a TV.

Thanks.. Can you define 'a good one' for me? I've seen them on ebay for
£26. I guess that means it's 'no good', yes?

AL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Terry Casey wrote in
:

Ah! The proverbial: "I'm sure it's only a loose wire ..."

I did employ the old "pecussive intervention" i.e., sharp clout with heel
of the hand, but to no avail. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
Most computer monitors won't work at TV resolutions. You can buy
convertors - but a good one would cost more than a TV.

Thanks.. Can you define 'a good one' for me? I've seen them on ebay for
£26. I guess that means it's 'no good', yes?

I've got a couple here which convert composite, S-Video and RGB TV signals
to VGA. Wanted a computer monitor beside the workbench which would also
accept TV signals. For test purposes. Neither works what I'd call well -
things like not changing from 4:3 to 16:9. Vertical lines regardless of
the VGA resolution chosen. Of course it's possible there are ones around
now that are better.

A better solution for me was a TV with a VGA input, and the usual SCART
and S-Video. That works adequately as a computer monitor as well as a TV
or TV standard monitor.

I'll do you a deal on one of them if you wish. ;-)

--
*Why is it that rain drops but snow falls?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"AL_n" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and has
an S-video output, plus a scart output and a number of phono outputs

Most computer monitors won't work at TV resolutions. You can buy
convertors - but a good one would cost more than a TV.

Thanks.. Can you define 'a good one' for me? I've seen them on ebay for
£26. I guess that means it's 'no good', yes?

I would say the problem is the DVD player, you can get cheap DVD players
that will drive pc monitors.
If you have a monitor look for a new DVD player that up scales and with the
output you want, hdmi is more common than vga these days, dvi is a subset of
hdmi BTW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and
has an S-video output, plus a scart output and a number of phono
outputs

Most computer monitors won't work at TV resolutions. You can buy
convertors - but a good one would cost more than a TV.

Thanks.. Can you define 'a good one' for me? I've seen them on ebay
for £26. I guess that means it's 'no good', yes?

I would say the problem is the DVD player, you can get cheap DVD players
that will drive pc monitors. If you have a monitor look for a new DVD
player that up scales and with the output you want, hdmi is more common
than vga these days, dvi is a subset of hdmi BTW.

The problem arises with SCART and S-Video connections. They are strictly
(or should be) TV resolutions.

--
*I have my own little world - but it's OK...they know me here*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and
has an S-video output, plus a scart output and a number of phono
outputs

Most computer monitors won't work at TV resolutions. You can buy
convertors - but a good one would cost more than a TV.

Thanks.. Can you define 'a good one' for me? I've seen them on ebay
for £26. I guess that means it's 'no good', yes?

I would say the problem is the DVD player, you can get cheap DVD players
that will drive pc monitors. If you have a monitor look for a new DVD
player that up scales and with the output you want, hdmi is more common
than vga these days, dvi is a subset of hdmi BTW.

The problem arises with SCART and S-Video connections. They are strictly
(or should be) TV resolutions.

I know, but the dvd player doesn't have to produce TV resolutions. None of
my DVD players produce only TV resolutions and none of them drive what you
would call TV even though one is a sammy, all its used inputs are hdmi and
no TV resolutions are used.

Analog audio to MP3 ? Jim Hawkins Electronics 2 August 14th 10 11:21 AM
Analog MOP Dial [email protected] Metalworking 0 May 21st 09 09:45 AM
Old analog meters Mark D. Zacharias[_3_] Electronics Repair 22 December 11th 08 09:01 AM
Analog VHS to DVD question BE Electronics Repair 4 November 27th 06 03:15 AM