Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home[_3_] dennis@home[_3_] is offline

Default Analog TV fault

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
dennis@home wrote:

"AL_n" wrote in message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
AL_n wrote:
PS Does anyon know if it's possible to connect an LCD PC monitor
directly to a DVD player? The DVD player is about ten years old and
has an S-video output, plus a scart output and a number of phono
outputs

Most computer monitors won't work at TV resolutions. You can buy
convertors - but a good one would cost more than a TV.

Thanks.. Can you define 'a good one' for me? I've seen them on ebay
for £26. I guess that means it's 'no good', yes?

I would say the problem is the DVD player, you can get cheap DVD players
that will drive pc monitors. If you have a monitor look for a new DVD
player that up scales and with the output you want, hdmi is more common
than vga these days, dvi is a subset of hdmi BTW.

The problem arises with SCART and S-Video connections. They are strictly
(or should be) TV resolutions.

I know, but the dvd player doesn't have to produce TV resolutions. None of
my DVD players produce only TV resolutions and none of them drive what you
would call TV even though one is a sammy, all its used inputs are hdmi and
no TV resolutions are used.