Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default AEG Lavamat 6200 kaput - repair? replace? which new?

Trusty[1] old AEG Lavamat 6200 washing machine is not well. Fills,
empties, programmer makes usual synchron-motor-doing-its-stuff nose, but
drum doesn't rotate. Checked the brushes (only replaced them a few years
ago[2]) and they're OK, but not seeing any volts across any pins of the
motor's multi-way connector so I guess something's not happy in the
controller. Even if the controller were available I guess it would be
£100-£200 which is throwing a lot of money at a very old (if well-built)
machine so .... maybe time to bit the bullet & get a new one?

So, what and where? Probably can't afford Miele; AEG are now part of
Electrosux so they're out ... Siemens or Bosch? Or LG, are they good
these days?

John Lewis have a Bosch Avantixx WAE24366GB for £338 (though JL are no
longer offering 5-year guarantees as standard - they're doing the
extended warranty scam like the others - so no particular reason to buy
from them).

There used to be outfits doing machines with cosmetic damage cheaply. I
bought our first Bosch that way (I think it was part of Allders) almost
20 years ago. It had some slight ding on the side which the salesdroid
had to point out to me and then I couldn't find it later! Anyone know of
places like that?

[1] well it used to be

[2] 2008? googling found me a thread from here (leeched on one of those
diyxxx websites) where I was asking about motor-not-running problem so I
guess that was the time I found the brushes had gone

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Southern Domestic in Southampton do machines with cosmetic defects and
ones that have been used for production test samples.

http://www.southerndomestic.co.uk/

There are two shops within a few doors. One where you can get the sales
chat and see perfect models and then go down the road to see what they
have as graded stock. Once paid for you can take it way there and then.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 31, 12:35*pm, John Stumbles wrote:

There used to be outfits doing machines with cosmetic damage cheaply.

Our fridge (2 1/2 yr) is from Comet Clearance. There was a scratch on
it somwhere, but I've done worse since hitting it with milkbottles and
cats.

Our new washer (3m) is an LG, the model with the direct drive motor,
and it's really good. Does all the good stuff and is amazingly quiet
too. Cheap from electrocentre in Birmingham..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 31, 4:54*pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Mar 31, 12:35*pm, John Stumbles wrote:

There used to be outfits doing machines with cosmetic damage cheaply.

Our fridge (2 1/2 yr) is from Comet Clearance. There was a scratch on
it somwhere, but I've done worse since hitting it with milkbottles and
cats.

Our new washer (3m) is an LG, the model with the direct drive motor,
and it's really good. Does all the good stuff and is amazingly quiet
too. Cheap from electrocentre in *Birmingham..

Good old Electrocentre! We got a dishwasher from them, cheapest price
on Google. The two guys in a dark blue box-bodied Sprinter really
needed a better sat nav, then learn how to use it. They had a couple
more drops to do in the Sc*nhorpe after finally reaching us around
8:30pm after about 1.5 hours of driving around within 10 miles of us,
phoning up and then saying where they were (almost randomly). 10/10
for hard work, 2/10 for efficiency. A decent sat nav would have paid
for itself within a couple of days I reckon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

The problem may not lie with the controller. The controller has to
receive a signal from a sensor before it can step on to the next
operation. (Except timed operations).
The operation preceding "run motor" is fill. So you need to look at
the fill completed sensors,ie the water level pressure switch(s).
There are usually two.
They can be checked with a resistance meter to see if they are making
contact and by blowing down the air pipe connection. Or by checking
voltages appearing at terminals as the wash cycle advances.
I don't hold out much hope,but it's worth looking at if you don't
want to spend money.
The problem is that controllers are difficult to check out, they are
usually tested by substitution & of course you don't have a spare.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 09:48:46 -0700, harry wrote:

The problem may not lie with the controller. The controller has to
receive a signal from a sensor before it can step on to the next
operation. (Except timed operations).

It's not moving the drum on spin either

--
John Stumbles

Sent from my ZX81
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 01 Apr 2011 10:43:39 +0100, Skipweasel wrote:

Open circuit on the speed-sensor on the motor?

Is there a speed sensor on the motor? Seems to be 3 windings. Might be
brushes/armature + 2 field windings. The machine's out in the drive atm -
just picked up a pre-loved Bosch for 100 notes this morning (life too
short etc etc)

--
John Stumbles

Life is nature's way of keeping meat fresh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

Is there a speed sensor on the motor? Seems to be 3 windings. Might be
brushes/armature + 2 field windings.

Sorry to push in slightly irrelevantly,
but I also have an ancient AEG Lavamat (though a 605 not 6200)
and have had great difficulty finding brushes for the motor.
The motor has a number on a tag: 55054.

As far as I can see, various motors were installed on this
(and maybe other) AEG models.

I've only been able to install new brushes by cutting off
one of the small plastic studs on them,
which are meant to fit into holes in the brush-holder on the motor.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net