Posted to uk.d-i-y,cam.misc

Default Wind output reaches new low..

You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered
wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and looks to
stay that way all day.

It's nice to know that that capacity that 'could supply up to (insert
own bull**** value here) millions of homes' (in themselves not where the
largest consumption of electricity takes place) is in fact barely
capable of driving 10,000 electric kettles to make a morning cuppa.

Or about 4 electric locomotives of decent power output.

(http://www.bmreports.com/bsp/bsp_home.htm)

It is, in fact, to put it in perspective, about 1/50th of the nice
nuclear energy currently being imported from France..

You can always rely on windmills to ....completely fail to deliver,
randomly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered
wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and looks to
stay that way all day.

You can always rely on windmills to ....completely fail to deliver,
randomly.

ROFL

You clearly aren't 'on message'!

Have you noted how there's much less talk/bull**** about the planet
combusting in recent months?

TF
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/03/2011 10:13, Terry Fields wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered
wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and looks to
stay that way all day.

You can always rely on windmills to ....completely fail to deliver,
randomly.

ROFL

You clearly aren't 'on message'!

Have you noted how there's much less talk/bull**** about the planet
combusting in recent months?

TF

Dunno. Whatever Brian Cox says
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered wind
output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and looks to stay
that way all day.

It's nice to know that that capacity that 'could supply up to (insert own
bull**** value here) millions of homes' (in themselves not where the
largest consumption of electricity takes place) is in fact barely capable
of driving 10,000 electric kettles to make a morning cuppa.

Or about 4 electric locomotives of decent power output.

(http://www.bmreports.com/bsp/bsp_home.htm)

It is, in fact, to put it in perspective, about 1/50th of the nice nuclear
energy currently being imported from France..

You can always rely on windmills to ....completely fail to deliver,
randomly.

Not too sure what you are on about.

Wind power doesn't work when it isn't windy? We knew that.

So it needs to be mixed with other sources? We knew that too.

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
[...]

I bet you will find that they produced no significant carbon reduction
in so doing.

And that figure is not in fact in any case correct.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:58:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered
wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and looks to
stay that way all day.

1% of metered capacity, huh?
... the answer, then, is just to build 100 times more of them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

[...]

All of the time;?...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:
On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 09:58:28 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered
wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and looks to
stay that way all day.

1% of metered capacity, huh?
... the answer, then, is just to build 100 times more of them

And still only make iot less than 10% of teh grid capacity required to
run the country.

Make that 1000 time as as many, with no inch of land or sea left
unbesmirched..and then when the wind does blow, we can throw 99% of the
power away.

Of course we will still be CHARGED for it. We pay for wind power whether
we can use it or not. Whether it does any good or not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus
[...]

None of the time. To do that it would have to represent an average of
21% of all German electrical generation (that being about 1/3rd of 'the
energy consumed in Germany')

which means that at times, it would exceed the total grid output..

Its a typical wind lobby lie.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message

Not too sure what you are on about.

Wind power doesn't work when it isn't windy? We knew that.

So it needs to be mixed with other sources? We knew that too.

So you mix it..
that means you need the same generating capacity as the wind farms idling
away so they can switch in when the wind doesn't blow.
This costs £££ and generates carbon, so much for wind farms being carbon
neutral.
I suppose the solution is to back them up with something that doesn't
generate carbon, like nuclear, but then you wouldn't need the wind farms.
We could offset some of the problems by switching off all the people on
green tariffs as there isn't any green electricity for them.
We don't want them to get the idea that they are actually a part of the
solution rather than being a part of the problem.

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

I bet they didn't, how much carbon does that mean they produce over their
life then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Tim W" wrote in message

[...]

well lets just say that that 7% of windpower on the grid has not
markedly changed carbon emissions in electrical power.

It (Germany) stands at 1351.
The UK is 1228
France (largely nuclear) is 193
Switzerland - hydro and nuclear, is just 11

(Source: http://carma.org/region/detail/185 et al).

In short Germany adds wind and switches off nuclear, and sees no
reduction in CO2. And has to add gas plant to balance the wind.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
[...]

Still puzzled.

I thought you said something about wind power failing to deliver electricity
but I am not sure what.
Now you say German Wind power hasn't produced a 'carbon reduction' . Not
sure what that means.
Also that the German Govt's own figures for electricity consumption and
generation are wrong.

Actually:
Wind farms can produce substantial amounts of electricity and do so in
Germany.
Wind farms do not release CO2 into the atmosphere for every kWh produced so
if the alternative is combustion of fossil fuels they represent a big saving
in carbon emmissions. Its incontrovertible. Try to fudge it how you will.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

[...]

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

All of the time;?...

It's total, for the year.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message

"Tim W" wrote in message

[...]

A wind farm doesn't produce carbon. If you want figures you can google them
yourself.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

All of the time;?...

None of the time. To do that it would have to represent an average of 21%
of all German electrical generation (that being about 1/3rd of 'the energy
consumed in Germany')

which means that at times, it would exceed the total grid output..

Its a typical wind lobby lie.

I don't know what is going on in your head of course but I _think_ you have
muddled the import of energy with the import of electricity. That is why you
are making a nonsense of the facts and believe you are being lied to.

I believe Germany does import large amounts of gas for instance from Russia,
maybe its imports equate to 2/3 of its energy needs, but I am pretty sure it
doesn't import electricity on that scale. In fact the high levels of imports
of energy in fuel form must be to serve the power stations. You google the
figures. I have to go and do some work. Then come back and apologise to the
wind lobby LOL.

tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany
in 2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

Yes but the Germans (i) legislated to make people pay for it earlier and
(ii) benefit from the ability to share with other countries through
trans-national connection schemes so there is a better chance of the
wind blowing somewhere at a time people want to use electricity. (We of
course will have to pay through the nose for undersea connections; and
probably pay yet more because the EU is involved.)
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

[...]

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

All of the time;?...

It's total, for the year.

Tim W

OK so what happens when the wind doesn't blow, what do you do then?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

"Tim W" wrote in message

[...]

OK .. so how do they build them then?..

Any carbon used at all?..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote:
[...]

Are Germans producing more or less CO2 than they were in 2000?

How much of French energy is bring supplied 24/7 by nukes that emit no CO2?

How much CO2 is emitted by the windmill
Industry? (hint, a lot).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
Tim W wrote:
[...]

Wind power hasn't delivered carbon emission reduction. Certainly nothing
like 7% of Germany's CO2 attributable to electrical generation. I can't
say clearer than that.

Also that the German Govt's own figures for electricity consumption and
generation are wrong.

No, you simply 'misquoted' them. 7% of electricity generation NOT 7% of
'Germanys energy'.

Dont worry, most of the wind lobby has trouble dsistuingusighing between
electrical power and total energy requirements and none have a clue
about exported carbon footprints to e.g. China in terms of energy used
to make stuff there we use here..or a clue about what load average means
or when 'could power X homes' meas 'will on average power 30% of X homes
the home being about one sixth of the power we use altogether, with
transport, industry and so on making up the other 5/6ths), and sometimes
won't power anything at all)

Actually:
Wind farms can produce substantial amounts of electricity and do so in
Germany.

So they can! Mostly, however, they don't.

Wind farms do not release CO2 into the atmosphere for every kWh produced so
if the alternative is combustion of fossil fuels they represent a big saving
in carbon emmissions. Its incontrovertible. Try to fudge it how you will.

Sorry, the facts don't bear that out.

If the *extra* fuel you have to burn to compensate for the wind output
going up and down loses all the advantages the wind seemingly has, you
end up with an net zero change in carbon emissions.

The point being that the more wind you have - as against nuclear or
hydro - the more fossil fuel stations you need to balance it.

Having to bring - say - 20GW of fossil online in a hurry when the wind
drops overnight, and not necessarily very good fossil either, since its
not used fully, so there is little incentive to make it efficient, costs
you a huge amount of fuel JUST TO GET IT UP AND RUNNING.

As near as I can judge over 75% of winds 'zero carbon' gains are lost to
that process.

That's the trouble with simple pictures. The world is not simple.

Germany remains one of the highest CO2 emitters in Europe with respect
to electrical power generation. DESPITE all this so call low carbon wind.

Denmark is similar. The real stars of Europe are France and Switzerland,
both hugely nuclear and in Switzerland's case, with abundant hydro as
well to cover short term demand fluctuations.

If you want to permanently get rid of fossil fuel usage, nuclear for the
base load and hydro for the demand fluctuations is the way. Wind is
completely useless. A grid that had - say - 30% wind and no nuclear or
hydro at all would at times have no fossil in use at all, but on average
would need *70% fossil to balance it*.

Now if we say that without wind, a good CCGT can do say 60% thermal
efficency IF FULLY WARMED UP AND LEFT RUNNING, then your carbon fuel
rate is 1/60% = 1.667 times grid power

If the use of that fossil fuel plant drops to 70% due to adding 30%
wind, you still cant get rid of it. You are just using it on average 70%
of the time.

Let's say its efficiency running like that is is X, so that the fuel
burn is then 0.7/X the grid power. And calculate when it's no better
than the kit running without any wind. its when 1/0.6=0.7/X

which makes the critical value of X = 42%.

SO *if the net result of adding 30% average wind to the grid is to
reduce the CCGT efficiency from 60% to 42%*, there is *no net emissions
gain from wind whatsoever*.

A CCGT set running before the secondary cycle gets going, is simply a
37% OCGT gas turbine..every time you start that CCGT set up, it takes
fuel to warm it up. Energy that you lose when you switch it off and it
cools down.

If you add more than 30% wind to the grid, there will be times when you
have to throw it away as well, because peak output will mean you have
more than you need when the wind DOES blow.

You MIGHT put it in pumped storage, at 75% efficiency losing 25% of the
value..if you HAD any pumped storage capacity..

We don't really have much, neither does Germany...

So at best, 30% windpower on the grid (more is unlikely to actually
achieve much more because you start to throw it away)might reduce carbon
emissions from electricity generation by perhaps 20%. At best. Maybe
5-10% is likely.

20% nuclear on the grid that totally replaces fossil, could net you a
real 20% decrease in fossil fuel usage for electricity.At one fifth the
cost.

80% Nuclear - as France has - reduces fossil usage by 80%.

The optimal UK mix would be something like 80% nuclear and 20% fast
start CCGT. If you really want low carbon electricity. If we had a bit
more hydro, we could do a bit better. Sadly geography doesn't favour us
there. Dumping our total coal stations could net us something like
70-80% CO2 reduction.

No amount of wind can ever produce anything like that sort of emissions
reduction.

It is simply a complete waste of time and money. It's only there because
the Greens run Germany, and the Greens hate nuclear power, and Germany
runs the EU.

And the windpower companies are..German. Or Danish - Denmark being a
sort of lump on the end of Germany for all intents and purposes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

[...]

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

All of the time;?...

It's total, for the year.

Yes, they have an 'installed capacity' of about 26GW, which relates to
an average grid demand of about 72GW

It produces, *on average*, about 5GW. so a typical load average of about
20%, reflecting the fact that its onshore wind by and large. An
appallingly crap figure.

By my estimation *at best* it displaces 2.5GW of fossil fuel.

So a couple of medium (1.25GW) nuclear power stations only.

When Sizewell C comes online, (1.6GW) it will, together with Sizewell B,
(1.2GW) represent about 3 times the total installed UK wind power in
terms of average power generated, and probably save 6 times as much
fossil fuel.

Two nuclear reactors could easily have done Germany's fossil fuel usage
far more good than all the wind, and at a fraction of the cost.

Tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus
German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

All of the time;?...

None of the time. To do that it would have to represent an average of 21%
of all German electrical generation (that being about 1/3rd of 'the energy
consumed in Germany')

which means that at times, it would exceed the total grid output..

Its a typical wind lobby lie.

I don't know what is going on in your head of course but I _think_ you have
muddled the import of energy with the import of electricity. That is why you
are making a nonsense of the facts and believe you are being lied to.

No, YOU have.

I believe Germany does import large amounts of gas for instance from Russia,
maybe its imports equate to 2/3 of its energy needs, but I am pretty sure it
doesn't import electricity on that scale. In fact the high levels of imports
of energy in fuel form must be to serve the power stations. You google the
figures. I have to go and do some work. Then come back and apologise to the
wind lobby LOL.

Why?
Its not me who lies.

tim W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:
German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany
in 2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

Yes but the Germans (i) legislated to make people pay for it earlier and
(ii) benefit from the ability to share with other countries through
trans-national connection schemes so there is a better chance of the
wind blowing somewhere at a time people want to use electricity.

Beter, but still not great. when an anticyclone sits over Europe, its
contnent wide.

(We of
course will have to pay through the nose for undersea connections; and
probably pay yet more because the EU is involved.)

Largely we are using those to import cheap French nuclear power.

Probably via Holland now, as well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
"Tim W" wrote:
[...]

For electrical generation, broadly 'no change'. It got a lot worse when
they switched off a couple of nukes, and marginally improved when more
wind was added. www.carma.org is your friend here.

How much of French energy is bring supplied 24/7 by nukes that emit no CO2?

80% of their grid approximately.,

How much CO2 is emitted by the windmill
Industry? (hint, a lot).

The problem is that they do not have to account for the EXTRA CO2
emitted by their manufacture, installation maintenance and above all
balancing.

Every watt of wind power is treated as if it were a watt that generated
*no CO2 emissions anywhere else* as a result of it being there.

When I heard some loony lefty saying '80,000 jobs created by wind power'
I just wondered whether they were all going to be driving/sailing to
maintain these things everywhere out at sea and in remote places. Bet
they don't cost the fuel used to do THAT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus

[...]

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

All of the time;?...

It's total, for the year.

Tim W

OK so what happens when the wind doesn't blow, what do you do then?..

fire up low efficiency cheap generators that chew fuel, of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 28, 10:41 pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Tim W wrote:

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

I bet you will find that they produced no significant carbon reduction
in so doing.

But carbon reduction is not important, so why should anyone try to
reduce it (which they will not succeed in doing even if they try).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
Dunno. Whatever Brian Cox says

Can't hear him over the music.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 12:57:01 +0100, Tim W wrote:

A wind farm doesn't produce carbon. If you want figures you can google
them yourself.

Hum, so the concrete block (say 20m dia and 3m thick) that each
windmill sits on didn't require the release of carbon in it's
manufacture?

http://visitwalesnow.org.uk/environment-in-wales.htm

That uses rectangular olympic swimming pool size blocks...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim W
writes

Actually:
Wind farms can produce substantial amounts of electricity and do so in
Germany.

Germany's a big country with plenty of free land for building wind
farms. We're a small, overcrowded island about to become even more
crowded with the influx of migrants fleeing uprisings in Arab states.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Denmark being a
sort of lump on the end of Germany for all intents and purposes.

Danish embassy on line 1 for you...

--
Mike Tomlinson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Tim W wrote:

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

I bet you will find that they produced no significant carbon reduction
in so doing.

But carbon reduction is not important, so why should anyone try to
reduce it (which they will not succeed in doing even if they try).

In which case, why do we bother with wind at all?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Denmark being a
sort of lump on the end of Germany for all intents and purposes.

Danish embassy on line 1 for you...

well **** em.

The Dutch have the right idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 28, 9:58*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered
wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and *looks to
stay that way all day.

It's nice to know that that capacity that 'could supply up to (insert
own bull**** value here) millions of homes' (in themselves not where the
largest consumption of electricity takes place) is in fact barely
capable of driving 10,000 electric kettles to make a morning cuppa.

Or about 4 electric locomotives of decent power output.

(http://www.bmreports.com/bsp/bsp_home.htm)

It is, in fact, to put it in perspective, about 1/50th of the nice
nuclear energy currently being imported from France..

You can always rely on windmills to ....completely fail to deliver,
randomly.

Thought it was quiet! ;-)
Lyn
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim W" wrote in message

A wind farm doesn't produce carbon. If you want figures you can google
them yourself.

Of course it does.

Building it, maintaining it, decommissioning it.
They don't grow you know.

Other totally off topic things about electricity is the fact that vegans
can't use it as things like WD40 (FISH oil) are used, but the same is true
for cars, buses, trains, etc. and they ignore that. Funny how they can be so
vocal while using animal products.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , Tim W
scribeth thus
[...]

German Wind farms produced about 7% of the energy consumed in Germany in
2009. That is a heck of a significant delivery.

All of the time;?...

It's total, for the year.

Tim W

OK so what happens when the wind doesn't blow, what do you do then?..

fire up low efficiency cheap generators that chew fuel, of course.

I was hoping Tim would answer that one;!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 28, 2:57*pm, "dennis@home" wrote:

Other totally off topic things about electricity is the fact that vegans
can't use it as things like WD40 (FISH oil) are used

B*lls. See (for example) http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

stuart noble wrote:
On 28/03/2011 10:13, Terry Fields wrote:

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the
metered wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity'
and looks to stay that way all day.

You can always rely on windmills to ....completely fail to deliver,
randomly.

ROFL

You clearly aren't 'on message'!

Have you noted how there's much less talk/bull**** about the planet
combusting in recent months?

TF

Dunno. Whatever Brian Cox says

Well

http://newsthump.com/2011/03/14/i-must-be-on-the-moon-to-explain-about-the-moon-brian-cox-tells-licence-fee-payers/

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 28 Mar 2011 15:32:37 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

On 28/03/2011 12:57, Tim W wrote:

A wind farm doesn't produce carbon. If you want figures you can google them
yourself.

Depends on where you draw your boundaries. Building the thing and
putting place the grid architecture to connect (often out of the way
places) obviously produces some. As will maintaining the thing.

To incorporate its output into the grid one must also have some
proportion of spinning reserve, and that does produce carbon.

....the proportion approaching 100% give or take a bit

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

You have to love all that diversity ('the wind is always blowing
somewhere'), in the equinoctial windiness of March, today the metered
wind output (23MW) dipped below 1% of 'metered capacity' and looks to
stay that way all day.

It's nice to know that that capacity that 'could supply up to (insert
own bull**** value here) millions of homes' (in themselves not where the
largest consumption of electricity takes place) is in fact barely
capable of driving 10,000 electric kettles to make a morning cuppa.

Or about 4 electric locomotives of decent power output.

(http://www.bmreports.com/bsp/bsp_home.htm)

It is, in fact, to put it in perspective, about 1/50th of the nice
nuclear energy currently being imported from France..

You can always rely on windmills to ....completely fail to deliver,
randomly.

All the more reason to burn Greenpeace, FoE, BWEA, and other assorted
greenwash dip****s at the stake.

....at the predicted peak output today at 1700 hours you could "power
117,000 homes" *

* Possibly for as long as 1/50th of a second
* where 1 home = 1kW
* assuming the wind still blows
* assuming bits don't fall off them
* assuming the wind doesn't blow too much