Mark

Default Secondary consumer unit

Hello,
I want to install a secondary consumer unit so that I can do some
outdoor wiring. I'm happy with the technicalities of how to wire from
the consumer unit.

But,can anyone tell me in practical terms how to connect the secondary
unit to the incoming mains and what parts to use.
I thought I would simply be able run some wires from primary CU to the
secondary by inserting some new wires into the same terminals as the
incoming supply on the primary CU but of course 2 wires this size
won't fit into the terminal holes.

Can I fit a terminal box and tap into the incoming wires?

Any help and advice on what parts to use and buy would be greatly
appreciated.
I am assumming I have to 25mm sq cable for the new consumer unit
incoming supply.

How much would it cost apporxiamtely to get the electricity board to
come and connect the secondary unit?
Thanks.
Andy Hall

On 2 Nov 2003 02:13:34 -0800, (Mark)
wrote:

Hello,
I want to install a secondary consumer unit so that I can do some
outdoor wiring. I'm happy with the technicalities of how to wire from
the consumer unit.

But,can anyone tell me in practical terms how to connect the secondary
unit to the incoming mains and what parts to use.
I thought I would simply be able run some wires from primary CU to the
secondary by inserting some new wires into the same terminals as the
incoming supply on the primary CU but of course 2 wires this size
won't fit into the terminal holes.

Can I fit a terminal box and tap into the incoming wires?

Yes you can.

You need a service connector block. e.g. MK1100

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK1100.html

These are also colloquially known as "Henley blocks" after the most
well known brand.

Needless to say, the power needs to be disconnected. Removing the
fuse at the meter position is the normal way to do this. It was
considered technically to be illegal to remove the fuse seal, but
nowadays, electricity suppliers appear to be relaxed about this as
long as you don't touch the separate meter seals.

You could also consider fitting an isolating switch in front of this
to allow for future work.

Any help and advice on what parts to use and buy would be greatly
appreciated.
I am assumming I have to 25mm sq cable for the new consumer unit
incoming supply.

How much would it cost apporxiamtely to get the electricity board to
come and connect the secondary unit?
Thanks.

You would need to ask them since prices seem to vary a lot.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tinklemagoo

You could also consider fitting an isolating switch in front of this
to allow for future work.

Scottish Power supplied and fitted free the above switch box free of charge
Oct 99.

In uk.d-i-y, Mark wrote:
Hello,
I want to install a secondary consumer unit so that I can do some
outdoor wiring. I'm happy with the technicalities of how to wire from
the consumer unit.

I couldn't tell from your description whether the secondary CU is going
to be nice and close to the existing CU and the main service fuse. If
it is, the Henley block is the way to go, and the 100A isolating switch
is a Good Thing too. But if the secondary CU is some distance away (more
than a couple of metres), it's both too expensive and not safe to run
gert long 25mmsq tails to it relying only on the service fuse to protect
them. Rather, you'll want to take a sensibly-rated way out of your main
CU (30A, 40A, in the extreme 63A) and feed your physically-remote CU for
the outdoor circuits via a suitable "submain" cable - depending on
max loading, distance, need for mechanical protection and so on, that
could be beefy twin-and-earth (6 or 10mmsq), SWA, or the useful halfway
house of Supertuff.

"Normal" circuit-design calculations will tell you what cable and
overcurrent protection to use.

HTH, Stefek
Mark

"Tinklemagoo" wrote in message ...
You could also consider fitting an isolating switch in front of this

to allow for future work.

Scottish Power supplied and fitted free the above switch box free of charge
Oct 99.

Thanks everyone for your help.
I know what to do now.
Cheers,