Andy Hall

Default Secondary consumer unit

On 2 Nov 2003 02:13:34 -0800, (Mark)
wrote:

Hello,
I want to install a secondary consumer unit so that I can do some
outdoor wiring. I'm happy with the technicalities of how to wire from
the consumer unit.

But,can anyone tell me in practical terms how to connect the secondary
unit to the incoming mains and what parts to use.
I thought I would simply be able run some wires from primary CU to the
secondary by inserting some new wires into the same terminals as the
incoming supply on the primary CU but of course 2 wires this size
won't fit into the terminal holes.

Can I fit a terminal box and tap into the incoming wires?

Yes you can.

You need a service connector block. e.g. MK1100

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MK1100.html

These are also colloquially known as "Henley blocks" after the most
well known brand.

Needless to say, the power needs to be disconnected. Removing the
fuse at the meter position is the normal way to do this. It was
considered technically to be illegal to remove the fuse seal, but
nowadays, electricity suppliers appear to be relaxed about this as
long as you don't touch the separate meter seals.

You could also consider fitting an isolating switch in front of this
to allow for future work.

Any help and advice on what parts to use and buy would be greatly
appreciated.
I am assumming I have to 25mm sq cable for the new consumer unit
incoming supply.

How much would it cost apporxiamtely to get the electricity board to
come and connect the secondary unit?
Thanks.

You would need to ask them since prices seem to vary a lot.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl