Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Comparing Batteries ?

I have posted this on a couple of disability groups but activity is
virtually nil.

I am in need of some new batteries for my wheelchair and mobility scooter.

So many different makes on eBay. eg MK, Lucas, Yausa, Ritar etc etc etc

Anyone any thoughts on which would be best to go for.

Kindest regards,

JIm

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

on 07/03/2011, the_constructor supposed :
So many different makes on eBay. eg MK, Lucas, Yausa, Ritar etc etc etc

I would suggest they are pretty much of a muchness. Just ensure the one
you get is designed for deep cycle.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:

I have posted this on a couple of disability groups but activity is
virtually nil.

I am in need of some new batteries for my wheelchair and mobility scooter.

So many different makes on eBay. eg MK, Lucas, Yausa, Ritar etc etc etc

Anyone any thoughts on which would be best to go for.

Kindest regards,

JIm

Yausa or Varta would be my first choice

Lucas?
 Back in the 70's, Lucas decided to diversify its product line and began
manufacturing vacuum cleaners. It was the only product they offered which
did not suck.

-
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article , Harry
Bloomfield scribeth thus
on 07/03/2011, the_constructor supposed :
So many different makes on eBay. eg MK, Lucas, Yausa, Ritar etc etc etc

I would suggest they are pretty much of a muchness. Just ensure the one
you get is designed for deep cycle.

Over time we have used quite a few of these for differing applications
standby power motors etc. Yausa seem to have been the best of the
bunch...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Car use and motor traction use are a bit different . The NP would be the
best person to ask re batteries he's very knowledgeable on those...

NP ?
Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

Car use and motor traction use are a bit different . The NP would be the
best person to ask re batteries he's very knowledgeable on those...

NP ?
Jim

The Natural Philosopher who posts hereon...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

Car use and motor traction use are a bit different . The NP would be the
best person to ask re batteries he's very knowledgeable on those...

NP ?
Jim

The Natural Philosopher who posts hereon...
--
Tony Sayer

Thanks to all who have helped so far.

Next question.

AGM, GEL or Superior GEL.?

12V 33AHr

Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"the_constructor" wrote in message
I have posted this on a couple of disability groups but activity is
virtually nil.

I am in need of some new batteries for my wheelchair and mobility scooter.

So many different makes on eBay. eg MK, Lucas, Yausa, Ritar etc etc etc

Anyone any thoughts on which would be best to go for.

Kindest regards,

JIm

Hi Jim

As others have suggested - and FWIW, I'd go for Yausa too. My mother-in-law
needed some new batteries in her 4-wheeled mobility scooter and that was the
make everyone seemed to say was the most reliable.

Just a personal thing - I'd be very wary of buying them off eBay. Better to
check around local battery suppliers and pay a bit more - that way, if the
batteries don't perform the way they should, you can get them to sort out
the problem. I've heard some sad tales of apparent 'bargains' on auction
sites. Others may have wonderful tales to tell, but with something as
critical as a mobility scooter or wheelchair, you need reliability above all
else.

I found the Disability Living Foundation very helpful http://www.dlf.org.uk/
for expert advice for her. I'm sure you already know about it, but thought I
should mention them for anyone who hasn't heard of them.

Good luck!

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mar 9, 8:07*am, "the_constructor"
wrote:
"tony sayer" wrote in message

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

Car use and motor traction use are a bit different . The NP would be the
best person to ask re batteries he's very knowledgeable on those...

NP ?
Jim

The Natural Philosopher who posts hereon...
--
Tony Sayer

Thanks to all who have helped so far.

Next question.

AGM, GEL or Superior GEL.?

12V 33AHr

Jim

Any of those would work fine. Where have you found the best prices on
these so far?

NT
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 15:04:59 -0000, "NewsOnline"
wrote:

[...]

A little off topic as most powered wheelchair users use a sort of
fleece, but how do electric vehicle users stay warm?

As efficiency goes up there is no room for "comfortable" heat
generation so do the owners of that new one million pound Rolls Royce
have to dress up in thermals, or generate a kW or so of heating from
PP3,s?

HN

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article , £££nearyh
says...
A little off topic as most powered wheelchair users use a sort of
fleece, but how do electric vehicle users stay warm?

Electric heaters. No, really, they just have to top up the waste heat
from the motor with juice from the battery.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:03:02 -0000, Skipweasel
wrote:

In article , £££nearyh
says...
A little off topic as most powered wheelchair users use a sort of
fleece, but how do electric vehicle users stay warm?

Electric heaters. No, really, they just have to top up the waste heat
from the motor with juice from the battery.

Waste heat?

There is little waste in a modern motor. I would hazard a guess that
most of the heat loss was via the tyres and air compression.

HN
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:
A little off topic as most powered wheelchair users use a sort of
fleece, but how do electric vehicle users stay warm?

Electric heaters run from the battery pile. That's why they rarely give the
range advertised by the maker. Using lights, indicators, radio, wipers and
most of all demisters and heaters reduce range enormously.

Mike

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Don't worry. Many, many other people sre as slow as you in spotting
one of the major flaws in EVs for the UK climate.

MBQ

Comparing NG furnaces Olie Young Home Repair 4 September 12th 08 02:45 AM
radiator output (comparing) YAPH UK diy 0 September 5th 08 11:19 PM
OT - Comparing Paris J T Woodworking 18 February 6th 08 02:40 PM
Comparing pressure washers Charlie Bress Home Repair 10 August 23rd 05 07:16 PM
Comparing 18" Bandsaws Brett A. Thomas Woodworking 18 December 1st 04 04:12 PM