Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 'cooling off period'

is there one?

signed up for some Everest double-glazing on thursday (3rd. March)

paid my deposit

but, thinking about it, I really don't want the two small upstairs windows
done

can I cancel, and get them to do just the two big downstairs windows?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gill Smith wrote:
is there one?

signed up for some Everest double-glazing on thursday (3rd. March)

paid my deposit

but, thinking about it, I really don't want the two small upstairs windows
done

can I cancel, and get them to do just the two big downstairs windows?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Cancel the whole lot ad get some professionals in instead. Will save you
a fortune.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/03/2011 12:58, Gill Smith wrote:
is there one?

Yes, 7 days:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/kno...ights-landing/

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/after_you_buy/making-complaint/template-letters/consumer_protection_regs/

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Wade wrote:

On 06/03/2011 12:58, Gill Smith wrote:
is there one?

Yes, 7 days:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/kno...ights-landing/

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...plaint/templat
e-letters/consumer_protection_regs/

Yes, applies to anyone who sells you something in your home.
I got the full run-down of this during my electrical assessment - to be
a member of the Governing bodies, you must abide by the Law, and that
means the customer can ring up 6 days and 23 hours later, and cancel the
Contract.
Even if you have paid a deposit, they must refund you.

However, if there are non-standard/custom made parts ordered, does it
apply then? I would presume that windows are non-standard/custom, so
may not be applicable. I don't know about that.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Andy Wade wrote:

On 06/03/2011 12:58, Gill Smith wrote:
is there one?

Yes, 7 days:

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/kno...ights-landing/

http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/aft...plaint/templat
e-letters/consumer_protection_regs/

Yes, applies to anyone who sells you something in your home.
I got the full run-down of this during my electrical assessment - to be
a member of the Governing bodies, you must abide by the Law, and that
means the customer can ring up 6 days and 23 hours later, and cancel the
Contract.
Even if you have paid a deposit, they must refund you.

However, if there are non-standard/custom made parts ordered, does it
apply then? I would presume that windows are non-standard/custom, so
may not be applicable. I don't know about that.
Alan.

Possibly a bit daft of me, but I'd expect someone as versed in distance
selling as Everest not to actually start making the units until the
cooling off period had expired. Or if they do, to have costed the
expected percentage of cancellations into the quote.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
Gill Smith wrote:
is there one?

signed up for some Everest double-glazing on thursday (3rd. March)

paid my deposit

but, thinking about it, I really don't want the two small upstairs windows
done

can I cancel, and get them to do just the two big downstairs windows?

Cancel the whole lot ad get some professionals in instead. Will save you
a fortune.

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

Mind you, they never stop posting you mailshots afterwards...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gill Smith wrote:
is there one?

signed up for some Everest double-glazing on thursday (3rd. March)

paid my deposit

but, thinking about it, I really don't want the two small upstairs windows
done

can I cancel, and get them to do just the two big downstairs windows?

Cancel the whole lot ad get some professionals in instead. Will save you
a fortune.

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

Mind you, they never stop posting you mailshots afterwards...

That's free kindling for life, anyway ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

thing I was sold on was Everest goes down to the brickwork to fit them

(old wooden sills not incorporated)

and the windows are bolted to the brickwork

but just a bit concerned about what they're bolted to at the top

i.e. are they fitted by drilling into the concrete lintel? that doesn't
sound like a good idea

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Gill Smith" writes:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

thing I was sold on was Everest goes down to the brickwork to fit them

(old wooden sills not incorporated)

and the windows are bolted to the brickwork

but just a bit concerned about what they're bolted to at the top

i.e. are they fitted by drilling into the concrete lintel? that doesn't
sound like a good idea

All that applied to my windows too, except my lintels are timber.
Actully, the installer very accurately measured all the openings,
and there was only a couple mm gap all round, which was just enough
to grip the sealant. I've seen other windows fitted with about 1/2"
of foam showing all around.

In the case of the kitchen window, which went down lower than
the worktop height, I had then brick that up to above worktop
height with a new concrete sill installed.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gill Smith ) wibbled on Sunday 06 March 2011
16:52:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

thing I was sold on was Everest goes down to the brickwork to fit them

(old wooden sills not incorporated)

and the windows are bolted to the brickwork

Exactly like the local loke our old landlord had, fitted them. All wood came
out. The only difference between his fit and a fussy DIY fit, is he used a
lot of trim whereas many here would plaster the inside of the openings and
re-render the outside - and we'd probably measure each opening a million
times to get the windows in with 4mm clearance (like I did) so that a bead
of sealant would do the job, even to unrendered brick.

But you would have to be a horrifically cheap tart to fit uPVC to old wood -
the only good thing about uPVC is it removes a maintenance hassle.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 4:52*pm, "Gill Smith" wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

thing I was sold on was Everest goes down to the brickwork to fit them

(old wooden sills not incorporated)

anyone but a total cowboy will do likewise

and the windows are bolted to the brickwork

but just a bit concerned about what they're bolted to at the top

nothing normally, just typically 2 frame fixings in each side. And
sometimes none, just use foam.

i.e. are they fitted by drilling into the concrete lintel? that doesn't
sound like a good idea

--http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

thing I was sold on was Everest goes down to the brickwork to fit them

(old wooden sills not incorporated)

and the windows are bolted to the brickwork

but just a bit concerned about what they're bolted to at the top

All of the windows that I have had installed have only been "bolted" into
the side wall.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 6, 1:37*pm, John Williamson

[...]