Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Watts Tim Watts is offline

Default 'cooling off period'

Gill Smith ) wibbled on Sunday 06 March 2011
16:52:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Yes, 10 years ago, IIRC they were 3 times the price of local
professional installers when I was getting quotes. It was
useful to listen to the sales patter, because I could then
ask the others about Everest's "unique features", which it
turned out all double glazing had.

thing I was sold on was Everest goes down to the brickwork to fit them

(old wooden sills not incorporated)

and the windows are bolted to the brickwork

Exactly like the local loke our old landlord had, fitted them. All wood came
out. The only difference between his fit and a fussy DIY fit, is he used a
lot of trim whereas many here would plaster the inside of the openings and
re-render the outside - and we'd probably measure each opening a million
times to get the windows in with 4mm clearance (like I did) so that a bead
of sealant would do the job, even to unrendered brick.

But you would have to be a horrifically cheap tart to fit uPVC to old wood -
the only good thing about uPVC is it removes a maintenance hassle.

--
Tim Watts