Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Light bulbs

Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2011 in message

geraldthehamster wrote:

Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Cheers
Richard

I get mine from the Lighting Supersto
http://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/index.asp

Not sure they are branded but they last.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Maybe being bumped around in the postal system is the reason that they
failed.

I was surprised to see 100w bulbs for sale only this morning. Thought they
were history.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 10 Feb,
"mark" wrote:

"geraldthehamster" wrote in message
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Maybe being bumped around in the postal system is the reason that they
failed.

Or 230volt (or even 220volt) from abroad.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 12:50, "Jeff Gaines" wrote:
On 10/02/2011 in message

geraldthehamster wrote:
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Cheers
Richard

I get mine from the Lighting Superstohttp://www.thelightingsuperstore.co.uk/index.asp

Not sure they are branded but they last.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Tell me what you need, and I'll tell you how to get along without it.

Thanks. I can but try a pack of ten and see how they go.

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 12:21*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Cheers
Richard

Unbranded are fine IME, but posted is not. Wickes and poundland were
both selling them last time I looked.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 10, 2:00*pm, Tabby wrote:
On Feb 10, 12:21*pm, geraldthehamster wrote:

Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Cheers
Richard

Unbranded are fine IME, but posted is not. Wickes and poundland were
both selling them last time I looked.

Homebase as well ( or at least they were a couple of weeks ago), but
they were the own-brand 40W candle bulbs.

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , writes

Or 230volt (or even 220volt) from abroad.

With bayonet caps?

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2011 12:21, geraldthehamster wrote:
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Anyone seen this German attempt to get round the EU rules?
https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

Quite impressive!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
On 10/02/2011 12:21, geraldthehamster wrote:
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Anyone seen this German attempt to get round the EU rules?
https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

Quite impressive!

Unfortunately, he lost when they took him and/ or his suppliers to
court, and I suspect will also lose the appeal. That's why he's
currently out of stock.

Shame.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster davidlobsterp
writes

https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

I like it a lot. And they say the Germans don't have sense of humour!

--
(\__/)
(='.'=)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
On 10/02/2011 12:21, geraldthehamster wrote:
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Anyone seen this German attempt to get round the EU rules?
https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

Quite impressive!

They won't work in the UK. The screw thread is the wrong way round!!
;o)))
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Anyone seen this German attempt to get round the EU rules?
https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

Quite impressive!

They won't work in the UK. The screw thread is the wrong way round!!
;o)))

Nah, you're thinking of southern hemisphere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Lobster davidlobsterp
writes

https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

I like it a lot. And they say the Germans don't have sense of humour!

Translated from a chat with an Austrian barmaid.

"Germans are like Austrians, but with a sense of humour."

Nice girl, she was/ is.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:39:50 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:

Our local Tesco has a big pile of them by the front door - Philips, I
think. Big sign "Last chance to buy" over them.

Yeah so do a couple of our stores, I didn't look closely but the ones
I saw were clear not pearl.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 10 Feb,
Skipweasel wrote:

UK spec is now 230V. Fiddled to make it near as damnit the same as
before by sliding the tolerances around. We're at 245V here which is
still in range.

But incandescents are still 240 volt in UK, and other voltages as appropriate
in other harmonised countries.

253 is still the upper limit, I goove.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 11, 10:47 am, Adrian wrote:
Ian Jackson gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying:

Anyone seen this German attempt to get round the EU rules?
https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

Quite impressive!

They won't work in the UK. The screw thread is the wrong way round!!
;o)))

Nah, you're thinking of southern hemisphere.

Here in NZ where we don't have regulations about light bulbs, we have
vast supplies of incandescent bulbs, even Edison carbon filiament
bulbs in their original 1905 packets!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 23:13, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:39:50 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:
Our local Tesco has a big pile of them by the front door - Philips, I
think. Big sign "Last chance to buy" over them.

Yeah so do a couple of our stores, I didn't look closely but the ones
I saw were clear not pearl.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The pearl ones were banned first, I think, due to their greater baby-
eating capacity.

Cheers
Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Feb, 13:03, "mark" wrote:
Maybe being bumped around in the postal system is the reason that they
failed.

Maybe, but I wonder if the bumping around they get in the post is any
worse than they would get in transit to a shop that would sell them?

Cheers
Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:
On 10/02/2011 12:21, geraldthehamster wrote:
Without wanting to re-open old debates, does anyone know where I can
get good quality, branded 40W pearl GLS incandescent light bulbs? As
supplies dwindle, eBay sellers now seem only to be punting out unknown
unbranded bulbs - the sister of a neighbour bought something like
this, and every one blew within a short time of being fitted.

Anyone seen this German attempt to get round the EU rules?
https://www.heatball.de/en/verwendung.php

Quite impressive!

I don't think it's needed in the UK, as the act which brings the EU
ruling into UK law was badly written and unenforcable (unless it's
been fixed since). It was tacked on to another energy efficiency
act at the last minute, and no offence was added for the light bulb
part. Which is why you can still find 100W lamps in many places which
are not part of the voluntary agreement (supermarkets, mainly).

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
geraldthehamster writes
wrote:
On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 18:39:50 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:
Our local Tesco has a big pile of them by the front door - Philips, I
think. Big sign "Last chance to buy" over them.

Yeah so do a couple of our stores, I didn't look closely but the ones
I saw were clear not pearl.

--
Cheers
Dave.

The pearl ones were banned first, I think, due to their greater baby-
eating capacity.

Yeah, but there area still some around being sold
--
Chris French