Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petrol Substitute

Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Gary" wrote in message
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there was
a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

I know exactly how you feel I have a big lawn to mow, as well as several
other garden machines and it always bugs me paying road duty on the petrol
for the mower.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 15:05:06 +0000, Gary wrote:

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars ...

As "road fuel" otherwise the stuff burnt in motorcycles would be duty
free. B-)

You can get the duty back from HMR&C if you jump through the right
hoops.

Alternative *might* be ethanol, that is used in some countries
instead of petrol but not without problems.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:44:10 +0000, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere
wrote:

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

AVGAS is now well over £2 per litre at Edinburgh.

--
Geo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

I have just taken a look at the HMR&C website and it seems unleaded petrol,
avtur and avgas used for what they call "private pleasure-flying" all
attract the same duty as road fuel. The same applies to fuel used for
private pleasure boating.
Its all here.
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ent#P200_30401

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 16:44:10 +0000, Nightjar \"cpb\"@ wrote:

On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

I am afraid to say I think it is now :-{ Currently about £1.90-ish per
litre inc VAT (as is Jet-A1/Avtur if not for 'commercial' use I believe).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

I have just taken a look at the HMR&C website and it seems unleaded petrol,
avtur and avgas used for what they call "private pleasure-flying" all
attract the same duty as road fuel. The same applies to fuel used for
private pleasure boating.
Its all here.
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ent#P200_30401

That obviously came in after I lost my medical certificate. Mind you, to
avoid being taxed for beneficial use, I used to keep my Seneca
exclusively for business or training trips. Pleasure flights were always
done in a different aircraft. Evidently, if I could still fly and still
afford it, I would need to upgrade to a turbo-prop instead.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2011 16:44, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

Oh yes it is! (and AFAIK always has been). Avtur is the one that isn't
tax'ed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MuddyMike wrote:

I know exactly how you feel I have a big lawn to mow, as well as several
other garden machines and it always bugs me paying road duty on the petrol
for the mower.

Propane in an 18kg forklift bottle?

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

Oh yes it is! (and AFAIK always has been). Avtur is the one that isn't
tax'ed.

I never had to sign the declaration that HMRC require these days to buy
AVGAS, so I believe there was a time when it was not.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 25, 3:05*pm, Gary wrote:

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

Red petrol, same as red diesel.

However owing to lack of demand (there aren't that many vintage
tractors left) they stopped making it about 15 years ago. I think HMRC
deleted it from the paperwork shortly afterwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Jan 25, 3:05 pm, Gary wrote:

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

Red petrol, same as red diesel.

However owing to lack of demand (there aren't that many vintage
tractors left) they stopped making it about 15 years ago. I think HMRC
deleted it from the paperwork shortly afterwards.

The only time I have seen that was in an ex army Land Rover, one tank was
half full of red petrol when I bought it.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc..

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

I have just taken a look at the HMR&C website and it seems unleaded petrol,
avtur and avgas used for what they call "private pleasure-flying" all
attract the same duty as road fuel. The same applies to fuel used for
private pleasure boating.
Its all here.http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...lsPortalWebApp....

Most lawn mowing is NOT pleasurable!

OT. Petrol harry UK diy 11 January 14th 11 07:48 AM
Goo-Gone substitute(s) Jeff The Drunk[_5_] Home Repair 45 August 1st 10 02:43 AM
MOT substitute? ct UK diy 11 October 25th 09 10:49 PM
substitute for MDF Eigenvector Woodworking 23 February 25th 08 12:56 AM
Need Substitute for Wenge X_HOBBES Woodworking 17 April 14th 05 07:17 AM