Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Petrol Substitute

On 25/01/2011 17:36, MuddyMike wrote:
"Nightjar"cpb"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
On 25/01/2011 15:05, Gary wrote:
Hi

As Petrol is taxed because it is used in cars I was wondering if there
was a good substitute for running petrol tools . Generators movers etc.

I know LPG is used but is there anything else that would work without
modding the equipment.

Any Thoughts.

Gary

AVGAS is not taxed, although when I was still flying it was not much
different in price from motor fuel with the tax.

Colin Bignell

I have just taken a look at the HMR&C website and it seems unleaded petrol,
avtur and avgas used for what they call "private pleasure-flying" all
attract the same duty as road fuel. The same applies to fuel used for
private pleasure boating.
Its all here.
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...ent#P200_30401

That obviously came in after I lost my medical certificate. Mind you, to
avoid being taxed for beneficial use, I used to keep my Seneca
exclusively for business or training trips. Pleasure flights were always
done in a different aircraft. Evidently, if I could still fly and still
afford it, I would need to upgrade to a turbo-prop instead.

Colin Bignell