Posted to uk.d-i-y
ct ct is offline

Default MOT substitute?

Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension.
I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a
few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything
other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I
don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I
could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24 Oct, 15:50, ct wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension.
I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a
few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything
other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I
don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I
could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.

B&Q warehouses sell bulk bags of ballast. Not quite the same thing,
but may do.
Else look round for builders doing block paving etc. One of them may
have some spare.
In fact, I've got half a tonne of MOT here. Where are you ?
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ct wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension.
I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a
few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything
other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I
don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I
could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.

any porous hardcore like snmashed up bricks and a bit of sand works
pretty well.

Anyway its cheap enough. Use the left overs to make a nice dry raised
grassy knoll ;-)

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ct wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension.
I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a
few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything
other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I
don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I
could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.

any porous hardcore like snmashed up bricks and a bit of sand works pretty
well.

Anyway its cheap enough. Use the left overs to make a nice dry raised
grassy knoll ;-)

Which when the stones work their way through the grass make a really good
job of cocking up the blades on yer Flymo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R wrote:
ct wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension.
I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a
few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything
other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I
don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I
could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.

any porous hardcore like snmashed up bricks and a bit of sand works pretty
well.

Anyway its cheap enough. Use the left overs to make a nice dry raised
grassy knoll ;-)

Which when the stones work their way through the grass make a really good
job of cocking up the blades on yer Flymo

But they don't do that. about an inch of topsoil and its fine.
Been there, done that..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 24, 3:50*pm, ct wrote:
Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension.
I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a
few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything
other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I
don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I
could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.

Half a dozen bags of this?

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Ballast/invt/220111

Useful site here too:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase.htm
http://www.pavingexpert.com/aggs01.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ct" wrote in message
Hi all,

I need to put some MOT/sub-base down for a floor-slab to an extension.
I have already put some down, but I need to top it up a little in a
few places - about 150kg or so. No where near me sells MOT in anything
other than bulk bags, though which is far more than I need, and I
don't have anything I could do with the surplus. Is there anything I
could use instead that is sold in smaller quantities?

thanks,

dan.

What makes MOT Type 1 roadstone work, is that it has graduated particle
size.

So you could try a mixing small bags of 40mm, 20mm and 10mm crushed shingle
and sand.
It should compact down to a stable base. Just put the real stuff on the
surface if the BCO is about.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ct ct is offline

Thanks for the sugestions everyone. A mixture of ballast, shingle and
some smashed up concrete I found did a good job.

dan.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Anyway its cheap enough. Use the left overs to make a nice dry raised
grassy knoll ;-)

And put up a sign saying "Book Depository" outside your house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Anyway its cheap enough. Use the left overs to make a nice dry raised
grassy knoll ;-)

And put up a sign saying "Book Depository" outside your house.

Cheap shot.

Stop sniping at other posters please.