Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Buying a new mattress and Ikea

It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit
thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"john brook" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys.

IIRC their mattresses have 10 year warranties. Have you contacted them
about that?

Also it so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for
spring cleaning.

Has it got a lot heavier since you bought it?

Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a
firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

What did you think when you went into the store and tried one?
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

john brook burst on the scene, and said:
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also
it so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for
spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if
10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we
use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

I know nothing about foam mattresses but, looking at those available
online, 10cm seems quite shallow. 15cm seems a more common size. £60 is
also pretty cheap but probably accounted for by the thinness of the
mattress and Ikea's generally low prices.

I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
from people who know. If the Ikea one then seems a good buy you can
still go for it. You don't buy a new mattress very often and like most
things you get what you pay for so cheapest isn't necessarily best.

On balance, if I was in the market for a mattress I don't think Ikea
would be my first port of call. In fact I'm not sure I would look at
them at all.

--
Michaelangelo
No good deed goes unpunished

Self-catering, holiday accommodation for disabled people:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Michaelangelo gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying:

On balance, if I was in the market for a mattress I don't think Ikea
would be my first port of call. In fact I'm not sure I would look at
them at all.

We had an Ikea mattress for about 10-12 years. It was absolutely fine.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
Michaelangelo wrote:

I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
from people who know.

Other customers, you mean?

-- Richard

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Michaelangelo" wrote in message
[...]

We have ordered (but not had delivered yet) a new base and mattress, and the
mattress is a normal sprung one, but does not need to be turned.

This might help with it being too heavy, as once installed it shouldn't have
to be moved often.

I would think that a thin foam mattress might not be comfortable after a
while, but this is not from experience.
--
Peter Hawkins
South Lincolnshire

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"john brook" wrote in message
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit
thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

From experience of thin cheap Ikea foam mattresses. Regardless of how often
they are turned or rotated the foam loses its resilience after about two
years or so. And so any valleys will reappear after a couple of days of
the mattress being turned. This is for users weighing no more than eleven
stone.

Without checking their website right now, I always wondered why some foam
mattresses cost two and three times the price of the cheap ones. Maybe this
is the reason why.

michael adams

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

john brook wrote:
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also
it so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for
spring cleaning.
We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if
10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we
use a mattress pad.
The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

As far as foam mattresses are concerned I wouldn't get a 10cm one, mind you
they are also quite heavy and not easy to turn. I love mine allthough it's
just a "topper" and in laid on top of my standard mattress. The price of £60
also seems very cheap.

Jen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
john brook wrote:
We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm
is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a
mattress pad.

If it is 'foam' it will lose its springiness and quickly.

Only mattress of this type that lasts is Dunlopillow. And you won't get
one of those cheaply.

--
*'Progress' and 'Change' are not synonyms.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

john brook wrote:

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

You could scarce find a *worse* deal.

Oh, and it's 'elsewhere'.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 7:46*am, "john brook" wrote:
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning..

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for 60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money? *Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit
thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? *Thanks.

If you are talking about "memory foam" an aspect not realised is that
they are very hot (and sweaty). This because compared with a standard
mattress they are very good insulation. When you think, there is only
a very thin layer on a standard spring mattress. And if you ever want
to "wash " it, you can look out. Best done on the driveway .
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:46:15 -0000, john brook wrote:

It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit
thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

Considering you spend around a third of your life on a mattress I would
suggest going for the best you can afford. £60 sounds far to cheap for long
lasting quality.
--
leevan's dickie birds
www.pbrentnall.co.uk
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article , bluestar954
@mail.invalid says...
We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money?

Personally I can't stand foam mattresses - they last about a week.

Turn you turn your old one often?

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
lid says...
I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
from people who know.

Other customers, you mean?

Staff.

Ah - what they mostly know is how to steer you towards the item which
will earn them the highest commission.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

leevan burst on the scene, and said:

£60 sounds far to cheap for long lasting quality.

But about right for long-lasting back problems

--
Michaelangelo
No good deed goes unpunished

Self-catering, holiday accommodation for disabled people:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Tim Streater burst on the scene, and said:

[1] Prolly a bit like the wooden beds that WW2 prisoners slept on,
where they took the slats out to use for escape tunnel support.

If you require support in your escape tunnel I would suggest that you
use the orthopaedic mattress rather than the wooden slats.

--
Michaelangelo
No good deed goes unpunished

Self-catering, holiday accommodation for disabled people:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

In article ,
Michaelangelo wrote:

I would go around one or two dedicated bedding shops and get advice
from people who know.

Other customers, you mean?

Staff.

What would people who know anything be doing working in a bed shop?

-- Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit
thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

Things to note about Ikea:
- Their beds are often non-standard sizes so you may /have/ to buy an
Ikea mattress.
- If you are not collecting the mattress yourself you may find Ikea
delivery rates extortionate.
- Shopping in Ikea is a nightmare.
- £60 for a mattress is "too cheap". I would get a better one myself.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 7:46*am, "john brook" wrote:
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning..

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for 60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a thicker
one elswhere for the same money? *Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit
thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? *Thanks.

I wouldnt even look at Ikea for mattresses. Had very satisfactory
experience with M&S. Cheap mattresses arent worth buying, even if
you're poor, as they dont last. A good mattress does.

NT
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 7:46*am, "john brook" wrote:

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for 60.

That's certainly cheap, but is it a good mattress?

IMHE, Ikea mattresses have several problems:
* They're a weird size, so you have to buy Ikea mattresses to fit Ikea
beds.
* The quality is low: comfort and longevity both suffer.
* PU foam isn't great whoever makes it.

My own favourite mattresses aren't cheap, but they do solve these
problems: _latex_ foam (i.e. natural rubber), not PU. It comes in
sheets and is cut to any size, so you can make it fit an Ikea
bedframe. Comfort is also brilliant - better even than viscoelastic
foams like Tempur.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 13/01/2011 07:46, john brook wrote:
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

[snip]

You might like to look at:
http://www.which.co.uk/mattresses
or a Which? article from Aug 2008:
http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf...ses-153509.pdf

Allan
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On 13/01/2011 08:15, Michaelangelo wrote:
[...]

I'd go there for the Swedish Meatballs and excellent potatoes:-) They
used to often have vouchers that gave you them for 1p. We would have one
each go round the shop and have another before leaving.
Derek
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 12:35*pm, Derek F wrote:
[...]

Derek- Hide quoted text -

Get a futon bed, Argos have them for about £100, futons are much
better for your back, they are less heavy to move, and you can fold
the bed up into a sofa.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Adrian wrote:

"john brook" gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying:

It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys.

IIRC their mattresses have 10 year warranties. Have you contacted them
about that?

Also it so heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for
spring cleaning.

Has it got a lot heavier since you bought it?

Good point. Besides, you're not meant to clean the springs.

Also we are wondering if 10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a
firmer mattress and we use a mattress pad.

What did you think when you went into the store and tried one?

I think you'll find they frown on people disrobing in the store,
and you can't really make a proper assessment when fully clothed.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"john brook" wrote in message
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm is
a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress
pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

Stick a 3 before your £60 and you will get something 1/2 decent.

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
bod bod is offline

On 13/01/2011 15:15, Mr Pounder wrote:
"john wrote in message
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm is
a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a mattress
pad.

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? Thanks.

Stick a 3 before your £60 and you will get something 1/2 decent.

Mr Pounder

I can only but agree with that.

--
Bod
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"john wrote in message
[...]

You are not allowed to agree with me.
I've had enough!

Bod reported to

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Michaelangelo" wrote in message
Tim Streater burst on the scene, and said:

[1] Prolly a bit like the wooden beds that WW2 prisoners slept on, where
they took the slats out to use for escape tunnel support.

If you require support in your escape tunnel I would suggest that you use
the orthopaedic mattress rather than the wooden slats.

--
Michaelangelo
No good deed goes unpunished

Self-catering, holiday accommodation for disabled people:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

Some people lurk in your group.

Mr Pounder

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Mr Pounder wrote:
"Michaelangelo" wrote in message
Tim Streater burst on the scene, and said:

[1] Prolly a bit like the wooden beds that WW2 prisoners slept on,
where they took the slats out to use for escape tunnel support.

If you require support in your escape tunnel I would suggest that
you use the orthopaedic mattress rather than the wooden slats.

--
Michaelangelo
No good deed goes unpunished

Self-catering, holiday accommodation for disabled people:
www.woodhead-cottage.co.uk
www.flickr.com/photos/mikenagel

Some people lurk in your group.

Mr Pounder

Lurkers are welcome. We don't even mind them "chipping in" now and then

Jen

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Richard Tobin wrote
Michaelangelo wrote

I would go around one or two dedicated bedding
shops and get advice from people who know.

Other customers, you mean?

Staff.

What would people who know anything be doing working in a bed shop?

They'd obviously know how many customers have a problem with a mattress they flogged.

And whether those who bought 10cm thick foam mattresses complained
about them a lot more than those who bought the thicker ones etc.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 5:11*pm, "john brook" wrote:

We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for 60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a

The question is whether to buy at Ikea or can we find a better deal
elswhere? *Thanks.

Looks like it's easier to live with the hills and valleys. After all
providing i'm in the valley it's not to bad. A bit hammock like i
suppose

John - if its any good, I was in an Ikea earlier for a different
reason but ended up looking at the mattresses as my own mattress has
ended up with one large valley in the middle They have lots of
varieties from the 4 cm thick ones up to the pocket sprung (Hemvdek?)
for about £200. That looked good on the cross section and is about
36cm deep but wow, it was extremely firm to lay on. The softer/medium
mattresses looked like two big slabs of 10cm foam glued together. I've
heard people saying the memory foam mattresses end up making you
sweaty during sleep and perhaps moreso during other activities.

I think pocket sprung is the way to go and I can only guess the way is
to trudge around the bed shops and test them. Buying mattresses off
the internet seems risky if they end up either too firm or too soft
for your liking.

Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 13, 11:37*am, Mark
wrote:

Things to note about Ikea:
- Their beds are often non-standard sizes so you may /have/ to buy an
Ikea mattress.

Non-standard sizes apply to more than Ikea

- If you are not collecting the mattress yourself you may find Ikea
delivery rates extortionate.

Again, this is a general problem with mattresses, especially to the
northern half of the UK mainland which is usually described by
carriers, fraudulently, as "an island." In this connection, foam
mattresses tend to attract less horrendous carriage charges as they
can be vacuum-packed into an easy-to-handle roll.

- 60 for a mattress is "too cheap". *I would get a better one myself.

Agreed. However, the problem is compounded by too many retailers
selling mattresses that aren't even worth £60 for several times that
price. It can be rather difficult to ensure that one's getting value
for money.

John
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 04:11:42 -0800 (PST) Tabby wrote :
I wouldnt even look at Ikea for mattresses. Had very satisfactory
experience with M&S. Cheap mattresses arent worth buying, even if
you're poor, as they dont last. A good mattress does.

Mine here came from Ikea and is fine. They do a whole range, prices here
from $60 (£39) to $949 (£612). I agree that very cheap is probably going
to be a bad buy unless for a rarely used spare bed.

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 9:01*pm, John Rumm wrote:

Do you recommend and suppliers of latex mattresses or for that matter
just the foam cut to size?

There are a couple, just Google - mine came from some bunch up in
Yorkshire. I've also used Foam For Comfort for chair squabs (I make
chairs). I think the stuff is made in 2" sheets, which are then glued
up thicker, so you can have hard/soft as you like. They sew you up a
zipped mattress cover, as otherwise the stuff would erode on the
corners. For chairs I just upholster over it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2011 11:07 p.m., Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In ,
john wrote:
We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if 10cm
is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we use a
mattress pad.

If it is 'foam' it will lose its springiness and quickly.

Really? We've been using our 'foam' mattress for about 13 years, and it's still
very comfortable.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 10:49*pm, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/01/2011 21:27, Andy Dingley wrote:

On Jan 13, 9:01 pm, John *wrote:

Do you recommend and suppliers of latex mattresses or for that matter
just the foam cut to size?

There are a couple, just Google - mine came from some bunch up in
Yorkshire. I've also used Foam For Comfort for chair squabs (I make
chairs). I think the stuff is made in 2" sheets, which are then glued
up thicker, so you can have hard/soft as you like. They sew you up a
zipped mattress cover, as otherwise the stuff would erode on the
corners. For chairs I just upholster over it.

Yup seen Foam for Comfort... shame they don't stick any prices on their
site these days.

Yes they do -- Dunlopillo Latex Mattress 78"x54"x6" medium firm,
£904.12. However I agree it's not very obvious -- there's a price
calculator which you can open from the bottom of the page. Works
fine.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.people.silversurfers,uk.misc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Jan 13, 8:46 pm, "john brook" wrote:
It was only a few years ago we bought an expensive Ikea sprung double
mattress and its now no longer flat but has hills and valleys. Also it so
heavy that its almost impossible for us to move about for spring cleaning.

I've had a waterbed for 20 years. The hills and valleys smooth out in
a few seconds!
It's impossible to move as it weighs 300kg, so if I move it to another
room I just drain it and refill with a dollar's worth of water.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

john wrote:
We thought we would buy a foam mattress now. Ikea do a double one
200x140x10cm for £60. Is this a good price or could we perhaps buy a
thicker one elswhere for the same money? Also we are wondering if
10cm is a bit thin, although we do prefer a firmer mattress and we
use a mattress pad.

If it is 'foam' it will lose its springiness and quickly.

Really? We've been using our 'foam' mattress for about 13 years, and
it's still very comfortable.

What make is it?

--
*Honk if you love peace and quiet*