Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to clean gunge of a chip fryer?

I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of another
dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2011 in message Fredxx
wrote:

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Soak it for a couple of days in a strong solution of dishwasher powder,
fantastic stuff!

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
640k ought to be enough for anyone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 12:33*pm, "Fredxx" wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. *Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. *But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of another
dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Personally I've found normal biological washing powder/liquid to be
sufficient to shift most fatty / oily gunk

Soak the item in hot water + washing powder for 10-15 minutes first,
then scrape the gunk off, dipping the item back in the water as you
go.

Once clean probably give it one more run in the dishwasher or hand
wash with normal washing up liquid to get rid of any residue from the
washing powder/liquid.

I'd recommend wearing rubber gloves as it allows you to have the water
a little hotter and protects your hands.

YMMV

Simon
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/11 12:33, Fredxx wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

There are commercial pan-cleaner products, they appear to be the same
stuff as paint-stripper.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2011 12:33, Fredxx wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

A soak in caustic soda solution might do it...

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2011 13:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2011 12:33, Fredxx wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

A soak in caustic soda solution might do it...

But not recommended if it is made from aluminium.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx ) wibbled on Tuesday 11 January 2011 12:33:

I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

You *might* find IPA (isopropyl alcohol) will shift it.

I find it shifts a surprising amount of kitchen films without damaging
plastics (yet).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx wrote:

I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Caked-on oil is similar to varnish, so Nitromors is worth a try.
On the other hand, why bother? If it doesn't adversely affect the
frying, just leave it alone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 11/01/2011 in message
Fredxx wrote:

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of
stuff?

Soak it for a couple of days in a strong solution of dishwasher
powder, fantastic stuff!

+1

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Fredxx
writes

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Mr Muscle oven cleaner will do it.

--
Mike Tomlinson

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 12:33:38 -0000, "Fredxx" wrote:

I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of another
dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Angle grinder.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew May wrote:
On 11/01/2011 13:00, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/01/2011 12:33, Fredxx wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

A soak in caustic soda solution might do it...

But not recommended if it is made from aluminium.

Still works. Does a nice etch job on the surface.

Polish with wire wool afterwards

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , Fredxx
writes

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Mr Muscle oven cleaner will do it.

One of the more exepensive ways to buy caustic soda, yes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 11, 1:31*pm, Andrew May wrote:
On 11/01/2011 13:00, John Rumm wrote:

On 11/01/2011 12:33, Fredxx wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

A soak in caustic soda solution might do it...

But not recommended if it is made from aluminium.

Yeah, I did that and the light grey finish of the chip pan turned
black.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fredxx" wrote in message
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Many thanks for all the suggestions. One thing I do have at hand is washing
powder, so with a little disassembly it's all gone into the sink for a long
soak.

Any gunge underwater has become more of an emulsion. It'll be left there
for a while, given a mechanical scrub and then into the dishwasher!!

I don't have any caustic soda at hand, but will consider it for the plastic
items next time, assuming H&S haven't banned it yet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2011 13:53, Ronald Raygun wrote:
Fredxx wrote:

I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Caked-on oil is similar to varnish, so Nitromors is worth a try.
On the other hand, why bother? If it doesn't adversely affect the
frying, just leave it alone.

On a gas hob, it will make the pan very slipy and dangerous.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2011 12:33, Fredxx wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

I've been told this last weekend that your local Cleaneeze rep sells a
very effective oven cleaner gel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fredxx ) wibbled on Tuesday 11 January 2011 19:45:

I don't have any caustic soda at hand, but will consider it for the
plastic items next time, assuming H&S haven't banned it yet?

Local "arkwright's" will generally have it - on the floor next to the
spirits of salts!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2011 20:03, Dave wrote:
On 11/01/2011 12:33, Fredxx wrote:
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

I've been told this last weekend that your local Cleaneeze rep sells a
very effective oven cleaner gel

Apparently there are non-caustic gels, as used by oven cleaning
franchises, but I've never seen them for sale. Secret formulas and all that