Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx Fredxx is offline

Default How to clean gunge of a chip fryer?

"Fredxx" wrote in message
I have a perfectly good chip fryer that is coated with caked-on old
sunflower oil.

It's sufficiently hard and thick that the detergents I've used haven't
touched it.

In the end I have put it all in the dishwasher and put it through a few
washes. Some of the crud has become emulsified and almost peels off like
latex. But there's a lot more to go and don't relish the thought of
another dozen or more washes in the dishwasher!!

Are there any detergents which successfully dissolve this type of stuff?

Many thanks for all the suggestions. One thing I do have at hand is washing
powder, so with a little disassembly it's all gone into the sink for a long
soak.

Any gunge underwater has become more of an emulsion. It'll be left there
for a while, given a mechanical scrub and then into the dishwasher!!

I don't have any caustic soda at hand, but will consider it for the plastic
items next time, assuming H&S haven't banned it yet?