Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default toilet diaphragm

I suspect the diagphram is on its way out as flushing getting less
efficient.

How do I know which size/type to purchase without dismantling the mechanism.

When I do flush there still remains about 3 to 4 inches of water in the
bottom of the cistern, is this normal?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...10003Small.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message
I suspect the diagphram is on its way out as flushing getting less
efficient.

How do I know which size/type to purchase without dismantling the
mechanism.

When I do flush there still remains about 3 to 4 inches of water in the
bottom of the cistern, is this normal?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...10003Small.jpg

As a comment I would suggest you slide the lifting arm forwards so it exerts
a direct lift upwards and doesn't strain stuff. Some water will remain as
once the siphon draws air in the column of water will collapse back into the
cistern.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2010 15:10, SS wrote:
I suspect the diagphram is on its way out as flushing getting less
efficient.

How do I know which size/type to purchase without dismantling the mechanism.

The ones I've seen in B&Q etc are intended to be cut to size - use the
old one as a template - though TBH any bit of relatively heavy polythene
sheeting will do just as well as a purpose-bought item.

When I do flush there still remains about 3 to 4 inches of water in the
bottom of the cistern, is this normal?

Can't really see from the photo, but that sounds a bit more than
'normal' - you sure you aren't flushing in 'eco' mode or something?

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
The ones I've seen in B&Q etc are intended to be cut to size - use the
old one as a template - though TBH any bit of relatively heavy polythene
sheeting will do just as well as a purpose-bought item.

Approx the thickness of the plastic stationery wallets Poundland sell.

I know this 'cos...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
On 27/12/2010 15:10, SS wrote:
I suspect the diagphram is on its way out as flushing getting less
efficient.

How do I know which size/type to purchase without dismantling the
mechanism.

The ones I've seen in B&Q etc are intended to be cut to size - use the old
one as a template - though TBH any bit of relatively heavy polythene
sheeting will do just as well as a purpose-bought item.

When I do flush there still remains about 3 to 4 inches of water in the
bottom of the cistern, is this normal?

Can't really see from the photo, but that sounds a bit more than
'normal' - you sure you aren't flushing in 'eco' mode or something?

David

I dont think there are different flushing modes, just a cheapo toilet.

I just measured and there is 3 inches of water remains in the bottom of
cistern when flushing.

I have now religned the `pull lever` part.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
writes
"SS" wrote in message
I suspect the diagphram is on its way out as flushing getting less
efficient.

How do I know which size/type to purchase without dismantling the
mechanism.

When I do flush there still remains about 3 to 4 inches of water in the
bottom of the cistern, is this normal?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...10003Small.jpg

As a comment I would suggest you slide the lifting arm forwards so it exerts
a direct lift upwards and doesn't strain stuff. Some water will remain as
once the siphon draws air in the column of water will collapse back into the
cistern.

Indeed. The lifting arm should give a straight lift. Why is it located
right at the end of the 'shaft'? It isn't, by any chance, that the rod
which pulls up the diaphragm was too long and, with the lifting arm
correctly positioned, doesn't lift the diaphragm high enough? If so,
shorten the rod (somehow).

However....
Once you've got the siphoning action started, it should keep going until
air gets in - which should be when water level in the cistern is almost
zero. If there are still 3 or 4 inches of water left, is air getting in
to the works and 'killing' the siphon prematurely? Maybe there's a split
in the cylinder or the inverted U-bend (especially at the top)?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Skipweasel
writes
In article , davidlobsterpot601
says...
The ones I've seen in B&Q etc are intended to be cut to size - use the
old one as a template - though TBH any bit of relatively heavy polythene
sheeting will do just as well as a purpose-bought item.

Approx the thickness of the plastic stationery wallets Poundland sell.

I know this 'cos...

Until it splits

I know this 'cos...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message
I suspect the diagphram is on its way out as flushing getting less
efficient.

How do I know which size/type to purchase without dismantling the

mechanism.

When I do flush there still remains about 3 to 4 inches of water in

the
bottom of the cistern, is this normal?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...10003Small.jpg

Ours failed about a year ago at an inoportune time (visitors & shops
shut). I cut a piece out of a polythene sow nut sack - actually I
think I made it two layers. Still working now so not re-visited it!

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 27 Dec,
"SS" wrote:

I dont think there are different flushing modes, just a cheapo toilet.

I just measured and there is 3 inches of water remains in the bottom of
cistern when flushing.

I have now religned the `pull lever` part.

Is there a bung missing from the side of the syphon? Sometimes (in theory)
removed to adjust the flush volume in replacement syphons.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message ...
On 27 Dec,
"SS" wrote:

I dont think there are different flushing modes, just a cheapo toilet.

I just measured and there is 3 inches of water remains in the bottom of
cistern when flushing.

I have now religned the `pull lever` part.

Is there a bung missing from the side of the syphon? Sometimes (in theory)
removed to adjust the flush volume in replacement syphons.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Aha I found a hole low down on the side of the syphon. I pressed my finger
over the hole and flushed and a lot more water flushed away.
I will plug this with whatever I can find short term and asses if I get an
improvement, then get a proper plug for it.
I think there is only one bung hole, difficult to see properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message

wrote in message
On 27 Dec,
"SS" wrote:

I dont think there are different flushing modes, just a cheapo toilet.

I just measured and there is 3 inches of water remains in the bottom of
cistern when flushing.

I have now religned the `pull lever` part.

Is there a bung missing from the side of the syphon? Sometimes (in
theory)
removed to adjust the flush volume in replacement syphons.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Aha I found a hole low down on the side of the syphon. I pressed my finger
over the hole and flushed and a lot more water flushed away.
I will plug this with whatever I can find short term and asses if I get an
improvement, then get a proper plug for it.
I think there is only one bung hole, difficult to see properly.

Sounds and looks a bit like mine. Removing the bung puts it into dual flush
mode. For a full flush hold down the lever - this causes a piston to cover
the hole and it gives a full flush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
"SS" wrote in message

wrote in message
On 27 Dec,
"SS" wrote:

[...]

I`ll play around with that in the next few days in the meantime I emptied
the cistern, dried off the syphon and just used a piece of gaffa tape over
the hole, it should hold for a few days until I get a proper bung. Its now
giving a higher volume flush.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SS" wrote in message

"John" wrote in message
"SS" wrote in message

wrote in message
On 27 Dec,
"SS" wrote:

[...]

Print a label:

For full flush - press and hold.
For small (water saving) flush - press and release.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...
Print a label:

For full flush - press and hold.
For small (water saving) flush - press and release.

Place label over hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 6:17*pm, "SS" wrote:
wrote in ....
On 27 Dec,
* * "SS" wrote:

I dont think there are different flushing modes, just a cheapo toilet.

I just measured and there is 3 inches of water remains in the bottom of
cistern when flushing.

I have now religned the `pull lever` part.

Is there a bung missing from the side of the syphon? Sometimes (in theory)
removed to adjust the flush volume in replacement syphons.

--
*B Thumbs
*Change lycos to yahoo to reply

Aha I found a hole low down on the side of the syphon. I pressed my finger
over the hole and flushed and a lot more water flushed away.
I will plug this with whatever I can find short term and asses if I get an
improvement, then get a proper plug for it.
I think there is only one bung hole, difficult to see properly.- Hide quoted text -

You have a dual flush toilet. Press & let go for a small flush. Press
and hold down for a full flush.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 6:17 pm, "SS" wrote:
wrote in
On 27 Dec,
"SS" wrote:

[...]

They were phased out as the action was a bit illogical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 8:18*pm, "John" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 27, 6:17 pm, "SS" wrote:

wrote in
On 27 Dec,

I dont think there are different flushing modes, just a cheapo toilet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Dec 27, 8:18 pm, "John" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On Dec 27, 6:17 pm, "SS" wrote:

wrote in
On 27 Dec,
"SS" wrote:

[...]

They were phased out as the action was a bit illogical.- Hide quoted
text -

Nonsense. Most syphons you buy are dual flush. The size of the small
flush is adjusted by blocking/unblocking a series of holes with
plug(s) provided.

I did read it somewhere - this type was criticised as people often found
they had to flush twice to get the desired result because they didn't know
of the "Hold Down for Big Job Flush" feature. Water savings were negated by
people flushing twice. Modern types get round simpletons with two buttons.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 27, 4:18*pm, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message , John
writes

"SS" wrote in message
[...]

Ian- Hide quoted text -

Exactly why I never just change the diagphram. Very common to get a
near invisible split in the plastic moulding.

You can buy a new siphon for £5 from Toolstation & it takes the same
labour to change the diagphram as it does to change the siphon.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

"SS" wrote in message
I suspect the diagphram is on its way out as flushing getting less
efficient.

How do I know which size/type to purchase without dismantling the

mechanism.

When I do flush there still remains about 3 to 4 inches of water in

the
bottom of the cistern, is this normal?

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...10003Small.jpg

Ours failed about a year ago at an inoportune time (visitors & shops
shut). I cut a piece out of a polythene sow nut sack - actually I
think I made it two layers. Still working now so not re-visited it!

AWEM

Thanks to all that responded, I have a good idea now what I looking for /
doing.
I have sorted the flush volume and the diaphgram I will leave until later as
it still works.
I have 2 other toilets in house so not an issue if it fails.

Thanks agian.

Diaphragm for toilet syphon Homer2911 UK diy 6 May 16th 16 06:54 PM
AKG D19 mic diaphragm Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 12 September 6th 14 01:24 PM
rubber diaphragm David Wilson UK diy 5 March 22nd 10 08:09 AM
AKG diaphragm V1:1 Phil Allison Electronic Schematics 4 November 2nd 08 10:04 AM
Toilet cistern: spare diaphragm F UK diy 4 October 19th 06 11:59 PM