Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default rubber diaphragm

I am looking for 2 diaphragms for a Hailea ACO 9903 airpump. The only thing
is, when I search online I would be cheaper buying a new pump from my local
pet shop than buying a couple of rubber diaphragms online. How do the expect
to do business when 2 little rubber diaphragms cost £5 and they want £6 post
and packing.

Unless anyone knows where I can get them a lot cheaper?

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wilson explained :
I am looking for 2 diaphragms for a Hailea ACO 9903 airpump. The only thing
is, when I search online I would be cheaper buying a new pump from my local
pet shop than buying a couple of rubber diaphragms online. How do the expect
to do business when 2 little rubber diaphragms cost £5 and they want £6 post
and packing.

I once managed to repair a diaphragm pump by using a bit cut from a
truck tyre inner tube. Much larger that your pump, but similar idea.
Could you use a section of rubber cut from an old bike inner tube?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
David Wilson explained :
I am looking for 2 diaphragms for a Hailea ACO 9903 airpump. The only
thing is, when I search online I would be cheaper buying a new pump from
my local pet shop than buying a couple of rubber diaphragms online. How
do the expect to do business when 2 little rubber diaphragms cost £5 and
they want £6 post and packing.

I once managed to repair a diaphragm pump by using a bit cut from a truck
tyre inner tube. Much larger that your pump, but similar idea. Could you
use a section of rubber cut from an old bike inner tube?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

They are a bit thicker than an inner tube, more like the things on the end
of a brake cylinder, I just thought of that just now, I will try motor
factor tomorrow.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Wilson
writes
I am looking for 2 diaphragms for a Hailea ACO 9903 airpump. The only
thing is, when I search online I would be cheaper buying a new pump
from my local pet shop than buying a couple of rubber diaphragms
online. How do the expect to do business when 2 little rubber
diaphragms cost £5 and they want £6 post and packing.

They sell parts because they have to

they'd much rather sell you a pump

what do you think ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Wilson wrote:
I am looking for 2 diaphragms for a Hailea ACO 9903 airpump. The only
thing is, when I search online I would be cheaper buying a new pump from
my local pet shop than buying a couple of rubber diaphragms online. How
do the expect to do business when 2 little rubber diaphragms cost £5 and
they want £6 post and packing.

We've got about 4 old aquarium pumps at home, all with failed diaphragms
and eminentlty repairable if I could obtain spares... a real bugbear of
mine...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
news
David Wilson wrote:
I am looking for 2 diaphragms for a Hailea ACO 9903 airpump. The only
thing is, when I search online I would be cheaper buying a new pump from
my local pet shop than buying a couple of rubber diaphragms online. How
do the expect to do business when 2 little rubber diaphragms cost £5 and
they want £6 post and packing.

We've got about 4 old aquarium pumps at home, all with failed diaphragms
and eminentlty repairable if I could obtain spares... a real bugbear of
mine...

The aquarium shops around here sell such spares for about £1.50.
Whether its worthwhile is another matter when the pumps cost a few quid and
no self respecting aquarist would use one in the tank. ;-)