Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What's a reasonable number of times to be asked to give a jump start?

As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

--
Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more jump
starts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more
jump starts.

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
Pete Zahut wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more
jump starts.

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.
--
Adam

If you can accept the guy is genuinely like that then I dont think you can
apply a number that is considered reasonable or otherwise.
You either help people in need or you dont.
What if you hurt your hand and needed help everytime a jar required
opening....what would be reasonable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more
jump starts.

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.

Tell him that each time you jump start it there is a small risk of corrupting
the firmware in the dash thus immobilising the vehicle.

I don't know if it's true, but that's what an AA patrol told me about a Honda Civic.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 22:01:25 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

If you are taking a break from work over the Christmas period , and
having to get into a position to Jump start the neighbours car
involves any use of a road o rarea where the public have access then
could you say that you have had an alcholic drink or two and dare not
get into your vehicle.
lack of assistance may make him do something,even if it is to get the
main dealer to come and fetch the car.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.

So why didn't he go there and get it done after the first jump start?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

Next time (say it like you mean it):

"This is the last time, buy a new battery"

Next again time:

"I told you, it's over between us, goodbye closes door"
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the
bloody car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just
asked for a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all
done in 10 minutes (apart from calling into the cafe for a full
English on the way back from the shop).

Next time (say it like you mean it):

"This is the last time, buy a new battery"

Next again time:

"I told you, it's over between us, goodbye closes door"

The neighbour is similar to "Tim Nice-but-Dim"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Enfield's_Television_Programme#Characters

Well educated but no common sense.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/10 22:01, ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

The diplomatic solution would be to "have lent the leads to a mate who's
working over Xmas and had a dodgy battery" or something else plausible

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/10 22:11, ARWadsworth wrote:
Pete wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more
jump starts.

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.

I looked in the wife's Mini the other day when topping up the screenwash
and realised that I don't actually know where the bloody battery
actually is! They've made everything else impossible/damn difficult to
DIY so I guess the battery was the last bastion of simplicity that
needed dealing with - *******s.

(I looked into it later and discovered apparantly you take the wide
plastic trim under the wipers off or something).

My VW is roughly where you'd expect to find a battery but even that
leaves some doubt about whether it would actually come out the box in
the clearance above it (ie it is half under the bulkhead).

So I can sort of understand it if the car is still newish...

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery
but he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a
main dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no
more jump starts.

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the
swap. --
Adam

If you can accept the guy is genuinely like that then I dont think
you can apply a number that is considered reasonable or otherwise.
You either help people in need or you dont.

When is someone in need of help?

What if you hurt your hand and needed help everytime a jar required
opening....what would be reasonable?

Now when I had a sprained ankle the neighbour went shopping for me twice.
He did my food shopping but he did not buy me a new ankle.

He could purchase a new battery and I could fit it for free.

--
Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2010 22:01, ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

Probably it's either

1) he's worried the anti-theft radio will lose it's marbles and he
hasn't the code,

2) he has paid out for an extended warranty and is assuming
(incorrectly) everything has to be done by a main dealer to keep the
warrany valid, or

3) he thinks he has the main dealer (who sold him the car) over a barrel
due to the failed battery and is expecting a free replacement from them
in the new year.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

Get a knackered battery for yours and then when he next wants a start
connect it up and then tell him he's buggered yours and you want him
to pay you for a new one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked
for a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10
minutes (apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way
back from the shop).

Tis a difficult one. I actually think that I'd go buy a new battery for my
car and present him with the old one + jump leads and a charger.
I.e, attempt to embarrass him into reality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes
fred wrote:

Next time (say it like you mean it):

"This is the last time, buy a new battery"

Next again time:

"I told you, it's over between us, goodbye closes door"

The neighbour is similar to "Tim Nice-but-Dim"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Enfield's_Television_Programme#Characters

Well educated but no common sense.

Sorry, in that case:

"This-is-the-last-time,-buy-a-new-battery" :-)

As you don't want to fall out with him I imagine you'll be offering a
lift to wherever he wants to buy his battery from before repeating the
above mantra.

Actually, print out a card with it written on and give it to him.

Next time he comes round ask him if he's still got the card and get him
to read it out.

Mind you, I know what he will say . . . . , "cmon, mate, just this once"

Don't worry, I knew it was rhetorical, there is nothing you can say to
him.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/10 23:39, Adrian C wrote:
On 23/12/2010 22:01, ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

Probably it's either

1) he's worried the anti-theft radio will lose it's marbles and he

..
As car electronics gets cleverer and cleverer
disconnecting the battery to swap it for a new one may break more things
than the radio.

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:18:39 +0000, Tim Watts wrote:

I looked in the wife's Mini the other day when topping up the screenwash
and realised that I don't actually know where the bloody battery
actually is! They've made everything else impossible/damn difficult to
DIY so I guess the battery was the last bastion of simplicity that
needed dealing with - *******s.

You'd have had fun finding it in the old Minis then...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 23, 10:01*pm, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. 75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

Sometimes answer the door, sometimes don't. He'll get motivated.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the
bloody car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just
asked for a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done
in 10 minutes (apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on
the way back from the shop).

This is what ****es me off with people today - the majority of them want
****ing with a ragman's trumpet.
can't change a light bulb without getting it part p certified.
can't cook a pan of ****in chips without a 'gas safe' team on standby and
can't get a ******* car battery changed without Arnold ****ing Clark, the
pope, and fifteen cardinals to witness the ****ing ceremony whilst splashing
holy water about the place.

Print this post out on a piece of A4, have a **** in the centre of it and
leave it outside over night, when the stupid **** calls round tomorrow, slam
it straight between the stupid ****'s eyeballs, hopefully when it's
defrosted, he can see what everyone else in the ****ing country thinks of
him, the gormless, 'can't have a **** in case it's wrong' ****stick.

JM2P

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager
saying something like:

battery

You'd have had fun finding it in the old Minis then...!

Dragging on the road, held up by the cables.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 11:01 am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

It may not be a problem with his battery. A friend helped me to buy a
new battery, which then slowly went flat. I had to have a
reconditioned alternator, then had an unwanted spare battery which I
had to keep charged for the next couple of years.

Or he might just have a loose belt to the alternator.

Tell him that more damage can be done to the electronics by jump
starting than by replacing the battery.

Encourage him to buy a charger and connect it to his battery
overnight.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

Would you feel as resentful, if it was an attractive young woman with a
prominent cleavage. Just checking !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
news
Get his wife/kids to buy him a jump starter for Xmas, then the problem will
go away tomorrow.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george [dicegeorge]" wrote in message

As car electronics gets cleverer and cleverer
disconnecting the battery to swap it for a new one may break more things
than the radio.

It wouldn't do your ears much good on my car, the alarm is self powered and
very loud.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

.
As car electronics gets cleverer and cleverer
disconnecting the battery to swap it for a new one may break more things
than the radio.

Mine would probably order me to shut the bonnet if I opened it. I
certainly would need to phone the tracking company before disconnecting
the battery.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked
for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

Would you feel as resentful, if it was an attractive young woman with a
prominent cleavage. Just checking !

The missus would have it sorted in no time at all.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pete Zahut wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more
jump starts.

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.
--
Adam

If you can accept the guy is genuinely like that then I dont think you can
apply a number that is considered reasonable or otherwise.
You either help people in need or you dont.

There is a line. It's between being in genuine need and taking advantage
of the generousity of others. ISTM the OPs neighbour has crossed this
line and is therefore not really "in need" he's taking the mick.

My personal view would be, help him once. If he comes knocking again
then jump him but only on the condition that he goes _directly_ to
the main dealer - with me driving behind (in case he breaks down en-
route). If he doesn't want to accept my terms, then it's "sorry: but
I've got all this stuff to get ready for christmas ...."

--
http://thisreallyismyhost.99k.org/23...9213327691.php
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 8:42 am, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Mine would probably order me to shut the bonnet if I opened it. I
certainly would need to phone the tracking company before disconnecting
the battery.

\swagger
;)))

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
[...]

Have you been taking tips off Geoff:-)?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the
bloody car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just
asked for a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all
done in 10 minutes (apart from calling into the cafe for a full
English on the way back from the shop).

Would you feel as resentful, if it was an attractive young woman with
a prominent cleavage. Just checking !

The last time one of them lived on the street I was married to her.
--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 8:42*am, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:

Mine would probably order me to shut the bonnet if I opened it. I
certainly would need to phone the tracking company before disconnecting
the battery.

So don't disconnect it. Put a 12V back-up supply on (usually through a
cheapo gadget plugged into the cigarette lighter) before disconnecting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/10 22:01, ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he is
too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to swap
it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the bloody
car - 5 times in the last two days.

When another neighbours car battery packed in this morning he just asked for
a lift to the motor factors for a new battery. £75 all done in 10 minutes
(apart from calling into the cafe for a full English on the way back from
the shop).

Buy him one of these for Christmas

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=383992

Worth the 20 quid to get him to leave you alone!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but he
is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main dealer to
swap it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the
bloody car - 5 times in the last two days.

I had a neighbour like that. Long since departed. He was a teacher, so
perhaps used to being obeyed. Guess he thought since he'd seen me working
on my cars I'd enjoy working on his. ;-)

Knocked on the door one day and asked if I had engine oil. I enquired what
he wanted it for and he said his was low. There's a 24 hour garage about 5
minutes walk away, and a Halfords 15 minutes or so.

Felt like saying did he need to borrow the money to buy some. But knowing
him he would have taken it.

Generally, I'll help anyone out. I suppose seeming useful gives me a good
feeling. ;-) But as soon as I feel 'used' I get very stubborn.

--
*This message has been ROT-13 encrypted twice for extra security *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
As car electronics gets cleverer and cleverer
disconnecting the battery to swap it for a new one may break more things
than the radio.

Urban myth. Some ECus may need to 're-learn' things, though.

Can you imagine the lawsuits in the US if something so simple as a flat
battery broke things?

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager
saying something like:

battery

You'd have had fun finding it in the old Minis then...!

Dragging on the road, held up by the cables.

Or when you have a big bloke in the back and they say "This seat is getting
warm". I forget for the moment what was causing the short, but it was a good
job the passenger was alert or it could have been very exciting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
Pete Zahut wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

Go with him to buy a new battery, swap it for him, job done - no more
jump starts.

He won't do that. Too nervous and will only let a main dealer do the swap.

he may be right, at that.

Half the car needed recoding and nothing worked properly when a dealer
swapped one battery i had.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
george [dicegeorge] wrote:
As car electronics gets cleverer and cleverer
disconnecting the battery to swap it for a new one may break more things
than the radio.

Urban myth. Some ECus may need to 're-learn' things, though.

Actual fact.

All the electric windows forgot where 'closed' was.

All the powerfold mirrors forgot where folded was.

The radio ceased to work. I did not even HAVE the code: the main dealer did.

That's all cos the battery went flat after a month of 'tracker' and I
charged it up..but..

Can you imagine the lawsuits in the US if something so simple as a flat
battery broke things?

Doesn't break them, but it took my an irritated call and half an hour to
restore the car to sanity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
ARWadsworth wrote:
As per the header. The neighbour has got a knackered car battery but
he is too nervous to just buy and fit a new one (he wants a main
dealer to swap it!).

I am getting a bit ****ed off with having to keep jump starting the
bloody car - 5 times in the last two days.

I had a neighbour like that. Long since departed. He was a teacher, so
perhaps used to being obeyed.

What a coincidence, my neighbour is a teacher.

--
Adam