Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling

Default ginger beer to spirit

Bryan wrote:

All true, but I expect that there are plenty of folks out there who
don't even want to see the word beer today,

Hey, man, I would have told you to leave that stuff alone and stick with
the veuve cliquot.
--scott

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling

"Dick Adams" wrote in message

Since Ginger is a spice rather than a sugar,
the following is probably correct:

For 35 liters of water:

Sugar SG ABV
----- ----- _____
5 kg 1.075 10.12
6 kg 1.090 11.97
7 kg 1.105 12.78
8 kg 1.120 15.54
9 kg 1.136 17.36

I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36, most
die at around 15 or less.
This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling

On 1-12-2011 09:20, dennis@home wrote:

I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36,
most die at around 15 or less.
This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

Looking at the Wyeast website, most ale yeasts can handle about 10% max.
Wine yeasts tend to handle 14-17%.

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling

dennis@home wrote:
"Dick Adams" wrote in message

Since Ginger is a spice rather than a sugar,
the following is probably correct:

For 35 liters of water:

Sugar SG ABV
----- ----- _____
5 kg 1.075 10.12
6 kg 1.090 11.97
7 kg 1.105 12.78
8 kg 1.120 15.54
9 kg 1.136 17.36

I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36, most
die at around 15 or less.
This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

The turboyeasts used for some spirits production will ferment considerably
higher, BUT at the expense of having a lot of off-tastes. Since these are
mostly heavier molecules that come out in the distillation tails, that's not
a problem, although it would be a serious problem if you use them for something
that wasn't distilled.

If you are making non-distilled beverages, in most cases you make sure the
original sugar content is sufficiently high that, after the yeast dies off,
you have as much sugar as you want in it. You use the yeast attenuation to
set the proof. If you are looking to make a super-dry beverage, though, you
will want the sugar to run out before the yeast does, and so you use the sugar
content to set the proof.

Champagne is a special case of the latter; the sugar runs out, then you
add a little more sugar (dosage) to ferment in-bottle. For brut champagnes
you add only enough dosage to make it fizzy while still not killing off the
yeast.
--scott
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.distilling

Scott wrote:
I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36,
most die at around 15 or less. This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

Looking at the Wyeast website, most ale yeasts can handle about 10% max.
Wine yeasts tend to handle 14-17%.

While I ahgree it can be hard to punch up above ~13-14% with
most beer/wine yeasts, I'd not put a hard limit of 10% on any
beer yeast. I've fermented more than a few batches of beer and
mead using beer yeast and had no trouble getting above 10%.
Mostly using British, Belgian, and American labeled strains.
--
Joel Plutchak

"I don't like beer. I tried it once and thought it was terrible."
- Overheard at a restaurant

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling

On 2010-12-21, Phil L wrote:

john robinson wrote:
Does anyone have any information about making a simple *distilling*
apparatus that they can share? *My friend is thinking of trying to
distil some ginger beer.

I've heard that _The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible_ is good.

Go to your local home brewing store - I went past mine today and had a look
in, they had a sign in the window which read 'distill your own spirits' and
underneath this sign was a stainless steel contraption, but I was in the car
and didn't really have time to investigate further, but i doubt it is
illegal as they had lots of these things in boxes in the window, and part of
the name was 'still' - it's obviously intended for distilling and must be
legal - this shop's on the main road through the town centre.

I think they're sold for purifying water. *Similarly, I've seen signs
in shop windows that say "These products are sold for tobacco use
only." * ;-)

And the home-brewing kit exported to Saudi Arabia. It came with lots
of recipes for what you can do with a tin of malt extract. One of the
recipes was "Hop flavoured vinegar". One bullet point in the recipe
was "at this point you have beer, but it would be illegal to drink
it. You must allow it to go sour ..."
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling

On 2010-12-21, Phil L wrote:

john robinson wrote:
[...]

A bit like the bottles of unpasteurized apple juice (cider) sold in
Prohibition times with the warning, "Keep closed to prevent
fermentation". Incidentally, even now, a little fermentation improves
the taste of apple juice a lot.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.distilling

In message , Joel
writes
Scott wrote:
I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36,
most die at around 15 or less. This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

Looking at the Wyeast website, most ale yeasts can handle about 10% max.
Wine yeasts tend to handle 14-17%.

While I ahgree it can be hard to punch up above ~13-14% with
most beer/wine yeasts, I'd not put a hard limit of 10% on any
beer yeast. I've fermented more than a few batches of beer and
mead using beer yeast and had no trouble getting above 10%.
Mostly using British, Belgian, and American labeled strains.

Rochefort and Chimay both produce live beers at 10% or more IIRC

--
geoff
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.distilling

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:36:23 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Joel
writes
Scott wrote:
I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36,
most die at around 15 or less. This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

Looking at the Wyeast website, most ale yeasts can handle about 10% max.
Wine yeasts tend to handle 14-17%.

While I ahgree it can be hard to punch up above ~13-14% with
most beer/wine yeasts, I'd not put a hard limit of 10% on any
beer yeast. I've fermented more than a few batches of beer and
mead using beer yeast and had no trouble getting above 10%.
Mostly using British, Belgian, and American labeled strains.

Rochefort and Chimay both produce live beers at 10% or more IIRC

Chimay gives me a bad headache... :-)

It's very nice though.
--
Frank Erskine
Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.distilling

In message , Frank Erskine
writes

Scott wrote:
I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36,
most die at around 15 or less. This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

Looking at the Wyeast website, most ale yeasts can handle about 10% max.
Wine yeasts tend to handle 14-17%.

While I ahgree it can be hard to punch up above ~13-14% with
most beer/wine yeasts, I'd not put a hard limit of 10% on any
beer yeast. I've fermented more than a few batches of beer and
mead using beer yeast and had no trouble getting above 10%.
Mostly using British, Belgian, and American labeled strains.

Rochefort and Chimay both produce live beers at 10% or more IIRC

Chimay gives me a bad headache... :-)

Yeah, 20 bottles and that's me knackered the next day

It's very nice though.

I'm on the wine tonight - stop tempting me

--
geoff

Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling

On 2010-12-21, Phil L wrote:

john robinson wrote:
[...]

Fresh apple cider I buy at the farmers markets inflates their plastic
jugs after a week or so -- a very pleasing beverage.

Getting rid of white spirit? Jeremy Nicoll - news posts UK diy 32 October 5th 09 08:54 AM
Bot Ginger Jar Done - video up on YouTube charlieb Woodturning 4 May 8th 09 09:11 AM
OT Ginger or Mary Ann? (Gilligans Island) cm[_2_] Woodworking 26 December 20th 08 08:36 PM
white spirit David Jones UK diy 11 May 9th 05 03:04 PM
white spirit David Jones Home Repair 2 May 9th 05 10:52 AM