Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling
spamtrap1888 spamtrap1888 is offline

Default ginger beer to spirit

On Jan 12, 7:14*am, "James Silverton"
wrote:

On 2010-12-21, Phil L wrote:

john robinson wrote:
Does anyone have any information about making a simple
*distilling* apparatus that they can share? *My friend is
thinking of trying to distil some ginger beer.

I've heard that _The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible_ is good.

Go to your local home brewing store - I went past mine
today and had a look in, they had a sign in the window
which read 'distill your own spirits' and underneath this
sign was a stainless steel contraption, but I was in the
car and didn't really have time to investigate further, but
i doubt it is illegal as they had lots of these things in
boxes in the window, and part of the name was 'still' -
it's obviously intended for distilling and must be legal -
this shop's on the main road through the town centre.

I think they're sold for purifying water. *Similarly, I've
seen signs in shop windows that say "These products are sold
for tobacco use only." * ;-)

A bit like the bottles of unpasteurized apple juice (cider) sold in
Prohibition times with the warning, "Keep closed to prevent
fermentation". Incidentally, even now, a little fermentation improves
the taste of apple juice a lot.

Fresh apple cider I buy at the farmers markets inflates their plastic
jugs after a week or so -- a very pleasing beverage.