Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.food.cooking,rec.crafts.distilling
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default ginger beer to spirit

On 2010-12-21, Phil L wrote:

john robinson wrote:
Does anyone have any information about making a simple *distilling*
apparatus that they can share? *My friend is thinking of trying to
distil some ginger beer.

I've heard that _The Alaskan Bootlegger's Bible_ is good.

Go to your local home brewing store - I went past mine today and had a look
in, they had a sign in the window which read 'distill your own spirits' and
underneath this sign was a stainless steel contraption, but I was in the car
and didn't really have time to investigate further, but i doubt it is
illegal as they had lots of these things in boxes in the window, and part of
the name was 'still' - it's obviously intended for distilling and must be
legal - this shop's on the main road through the town centre.

I think they're sold for purifying water. *Similarly, I've seen signs
in shop windows that say "These products are sold for tobacco use
only." * ;-)

And the home-brewing kit exported to Saudi Arabia. It came with lots
of recipes for what you can do with a tin of malt extract. One of the
recipes was "Hop flavoured vinegar". One bullet point in the recipe
was "at this point you have beer, but it would be illegal to drink
it. You must allow it to go sour ..."