Posted to rec.crafts.brewing,uk.d-i-y,rec.crafts.distilling
geoff geoff is offline

Default ginger beer to spirit

In message , Frank Erskine
writes
On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 21:36:23 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Joel
writes
Scott wrote:
I think you will struggle to find a yeast that will ferment to 17.36,
most die at around 15 or less. This is why wine tends to be 14-15% AFAIK

Looking at the Wyeast website, most ale yeasts can handle about 10% max.
Wine yeasts tend to handle 14-17%.

While I ahgree it can be hard to punch up above ~13-14% with
most beer/wine yeasts, I'd not put a hard limit of 10% on any
beer yeast. I've fermented more than a few batches of beer and
mead using beer yeast and had no trouble getting above 10%.
Mostly using British, Belgian, and American labeled strains.

Rochefort and Chimay both produce live beers at 10% or more IIRC

Chimay gives me a bad headache... :-)

Yeah, 20 bottles and that's me knackered the next day

It's very nice though.

I'm on the wine tonight - stop tempting me

--
geoff