Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Experian - subscribe online, can't cancel online

I used the 30 day free trial at Experian to check my credit record
this morning.

All sign-up online.

I had to give my credit card details to conform my identity (fair
enough).

But once subscribed, it's impossible to cancel without phoning them
(office hours only) - there is no way to cancel on their website.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 10:08*am, Tim Watts wrote:
On 12/12/10 09:57, wrote:

I used the 30 day free trial at Experian to check my credit record
this morning.

All sign-up online.

I had to give my credit card details to conform my identity (fair
enough).

But once subscribed, it's impossible to cancel without phoning them
(office hours only) - there is no way to cancel on their website.

Not the first bunch of scum to pull that trick!

--
Tim Watts

Totally counter-productive too.

I *always* immediately unsubcribe to all those things.

If they hadn't tried to pull that trick, I probably would have
actually paid them for my credit score.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 10:13*am, dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) wrote:
In article ,

wrote:
Totally counter-productive too.

I bet it's massively profitable - you might unsubscribe instantly, bet a hell
of a lot of people don't. In fact, I suspect a fair few don't even realise
what they have agreed to and never notice it on their credit card statement.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Add Naked Wines to the list too.

I wish there was such a public list.

I think it would greatly reduce the practice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Totally counter-productive too.

I bet it's massively profitable - you might unsubscribe instantly, bet a
hell of a lot of people don't. In fact, I suspect a fair few don't even
realise what they have agreed to and never notice it on their credit
card statement.

Direct Line insurance tried a similar trick with me.
Silently auto-renewed a policy, and didn't notify me for 2 weeks (and
no pre-notification - we're going to do this).

Add Naked Wines to the list too.
I'd ordered a number of cases from them over a couple of years, then I
got a case in March which I hadnt ordered.

Add SAGA Insurance to the list :-(

With the last increase being a bit much, we informed their renewal team
that we were shopping around. I found a cheaper deal through someone
else via Quidco and took out the new policy. The following week we found
that SAGA had done a direct debit on SWMBO's account for their following
years expensive insurance - and asked to explain themselves they said
"we do that as a favour for our customers so that if they forget to
renew, they will actually still be covered". Yeah right, it's elderly
forgetful customers freeloaning them cash! Took a heated telephone call
to correct that and have the money back in the account.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Add Churchill insurance to this - absolutely dreadful practices and
systems when I tried to stop dealing with them a year or so ago. Never
again!
My son is just starting a similar battle with Admiral insurance, so
maybe they're all similar.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

I also found Direct Line used a low sign-up premium, but lots of
backloaded charges - the 2 very minor changes I made in my policy were
ridiculously expensive.

Norwich Union/Aviva don't do autorenew, they send paperwork through by
post, in advance of the renewal date, and offer a discount of you
complete the renewal online - they are my insurer now.

They don't charge/overcharge for minor changes either.

Best of all, comp on my caravelle £299, add full business use just £1.

(no connection apart from satisfied customer etc)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 12/12/10 13:52, tim.... wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message

Add Churchill insurance to this - absolutely dreadful practices and
systems when I tried to stop dealing with them a year or so ago. Never
again!
My son is just starting a similar battle with Admiral insurance, so maybe
they're all similar.

Yep they all do it now.

I doubt that you will find a "direct" provider that does not

Quinn Insurance doesn't. (and I pay them by cheque just to make sure they
can't)

--
djc
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 11:13:49 +0000, Adrian C wrote:

Add SAGA Insurance to the list :-(

With the last increase being a bit much, we informed their renewal team
that we were shopping around. I found a cheaper deal through someone
else via Quidco and took out the new policy. The following week we found
that SAGA had done a direct debit on SWMBO's account for their following
years expensive insurance - and asked to explain themselves they said
"we do that as a favour for our customers so that if they forget to
renew, they will actually still be covered". Yeah right, it's elderly
forgetful customers freeloaning them cash! Took a heated telephone call
to correct that and have the money back in the account.

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.
Reminds me, I must start to look for an escape to another payment evader.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 15:29:02 +0000, djc wrote:

On 12/12/10 13:52, tim.... wrote:
"NoSpam" wrote in message

Add Churchill insurance to this - absolutely dreadful practices and
systems when I tried to stop dealing with them a year or so ago. Never
again!
My son is just starting a similar battle with Admiral insurance, so maybe
they're all similar.

Yep they all do it now.

I doubt that you will find a "direct" provider that does not

Quinn Insurance doesn't. (and I pay them by cheque just to make sure they
can't)

Just Yahoo!'d that and the second hit had "under administration" in the
description - bit worrying.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC writes:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

I recently asked my bank what would happen if I had reason to cancel a DD
and was told that the company in question could immediately set up a
new DD on the account, on the basis that they already had DD payment
authorisation.

--
Windmill, Use t m i l l
@ O n e t e l

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 9:57*am, " wrote:
I used the 30 day free trial at Experian to check my credit record
this morning.

All sign-up online.

I had to give my credit card details to conform my identity (fair
enough).

But once subscribed, it's impossible to cancel without phoning them
(office hours only) - there is no way to cancel on their website.

On a similar note, ordering online from Pizza Hut on Saturday, at the
end of the process was offered a £10 of your next purchase voucher.
However to collect it, you need to give them your card details.

Voucher remains uncollected.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 5:24*pm, PeterC wrote:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

You'd think so wouldn't you, however I've read many reports of them
being reinstated by the company. By many accounts the DD gaurantee
isn't worth much at all.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:32:11 GMT, Windmill wrote:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

I recently asked my bank what would happen if I had reason to cancel a
DD and was told that the company in question could immediately set up a
new DD on the account, on the basis that they already had DD payment
authorisation.

Cheeky but you just unilaterally cancel that one as well, IIRC they
have to write to you giving you the information about the new DD.
They really don't have a foot to stand on using a DD authorisation
dated pre the cancelation.

I find that unilaterally cancelling a DD grabs a companies attention
very quickly, almost like grabbing 'em by the short and curlies.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 9:58*am, Mathew Newton wrote:
On Dec 12, 5:24*pm, PeterC wrote:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

You'd think so wouldn't you, however I've read many reports of them
being reinstated by the company. By many accounts the DD gaurantee
isn't worth much at all.

Mathew

We use a bill consolidation service (Moneyway), who require express
consent of the account holder to make any changes to the DDs on the
account. It's a nice buffer to have between ourselves and providers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/10 11:08, Jethro wrote:
On Dec 13, 9:58 am, Mathew wrote:
On Dec 12, 5:24 pm, wrote:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

You'd think so wouldn't you, however I've read many reports of them
being reinstated by the company. By many accounts the DD gaurantee
isn't worth much at all.

Mathew

We use a bill consolidation service (Moneyway), who require express
consent of the account holder to make any changes to the DDs on the
account. It's a nice buffer to have between ourselves and providers.

Interesting - shall look into that - ta.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 9:57*am, " wrote:
I used the 30 day free trial at Experian to check my credit record
this morning.

All sign-up online.

I had to give my credit card details to conform my identity (fair
enough).

But once subscribed, it's impossible to cancel without phoning them
(office hours only) - there is no way to cancel on their website.

Isn`t a great wheeze , selling people their own data, on subscription.

You can put in a statutory request for £2 , it dosen`t have the whizzy
graphics, but gives you an idea how inaccurate the data Experian hold
may be.

http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public...es/credit.aspx

To get any idea of how inaccurate, you need the reference files from
all three agencies, they probably won`t match.....

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 5:24*pm, PeterC wrote:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

You'd think so wouldn't you, however I've read many reports of them
being reinstated by the company. By many accounts the DD gaurantee
isn't worth much at all.

Mathew

We use a bill consolidation service (Moneyway), who require express
consent of the account holder to make any changes to the DDs on the
account. It's a nice buffer to have between ourselves and providers.

To follow up, the telephone cancellation wasn't too bad. There's a bit
of a run-around "can we interest you in our other products are
services?" type guff - but probably only about 2 minutes total call
time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Never had a problem with Admiral.

They send a reminder of the impending auto-renewal.

I shop around.

Admiral are invariably still the best deal.

It get's renewed automatically.

Job done.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC writes:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

I recently asked my bank what would happen if I had reason to cancel a DD
and was told that the company in question could immediately set up a
new DD on the account, on the basis that they already had DD payment
authorisation.

Oh nasty!
Thanks for the info. - I hadn't realised that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 10:49:43 +0000 (GMT), Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:32:11 GMT, Windmill wrote:

Yup, I'm with SAGA but on DD, so I can cancel unilaterally.

I recently asked my bank what would happen if I had reason to cancel a
DD and was told that the company in question could immediately set up a
new DD on the account, on the basis that they already had DD payment
authorisation.

Cheeky but you just unilaterally cancel that one as well, IIRC they
have to write to you giving you the information about the new DD.
They really don't have a foot to stand on using a DD authorisation
dated pre the cancelation.

I find that unilaterally cancelling a DD grabs a companies attention
very quickly, almost like grabbing 'em by the short and curlies.

What I'd really like to do is have a problem with a DD to a big organisation
- SAGA would do - that has tens of thousands of DDs then get the licence
suspended. That'd sort the abstrads out!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2010 09:57, Jethro wrote:

On a similar note, ordering online from Pizza Hut on Saturday, at the
end of the process was offered a £10 of your next purchase voucher.
However to collect it, you need to give them your card details.

Voucher remains uncollected.

Pizza Hut ask you to agree to their Ts&Cs before ordering.

I phoned instead.

Andy