Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you believe this email

Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around £180 which I
send out for £50

"Good Morning,
************************* I am interested in purchasing the above ref
part for my Boiler as depicted on your web page - Stelrad Ideal 2 60 F
(Wall Hung Compact model). As this is for a direct replacement, could
you absolutely confirm the part number is as quoted-GC319037 -complete
Fan Assembly!(makers part number-from parts list in Boiler manual=
589945011) ?
I have read your Terms and conditions and appreciate that as a
refurbished part it attracts only a twelve month warranty but could you
advise that the part should be in good-if not perfect- working order and
can expect some longevity from*it.
As I say I have an order to place if you can comment back about the
issues raised.
Your earliest reply would be appreciated,"

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
[...]

"Your earliest reply would be appreciated" means "It's ****ing freezing and
I have had no heating for a week"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2010 22:13, geoff wrote:

[...]

I'd reply as follows:

Thank you for your query.

The part number we are supplying is as per our web-page. You need to
satisfy yourself that this is the correct part. We cannot
cross-reference every part-number used in every situation.

You might add ( if generous ):

If the part is not correct, we will accept it for return if it is in
as-shipped condition, and will refund you the purchase price. We will
not pay the return postage.

In regard to your longevity question:
We do warrant that the part is in good working order, and our 12 month
warranty applies.

Thank you for your query.

-----

This is a fairly polite 'F*ck off.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 08/12/2010 22:13, geoff wrote:

Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around £180 which I
send out for £50

"Good Morning,

Walk away.
Send him to Manufactures to buy new.

Thanks for the confirmation - that's exactly what I did

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
[...]

I wonder if he asks his doctor if he's given a correct diagnosis every
time he goes to see him?

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
[...]

So he asks "Are you sure I am a ******?"
"Yes" replies the doctor

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message ...

Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around £180 which I
send out for £50

That's pretty a steep P&P charge. ;-)

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Downie
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around £180 which I
send out for £50

That's pretty a steep P&P charge. ;-)

I've gone upmarket

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth :
geoff wrote:

I wonder if he asks his doctor if he's given a correct diagnosis every
time he goes to see him?

So he asks "Are you sure I am a ******?"
"Yes" replies the doctor

"That's terrible news", he says. "I'd like a second opinion".

"OK", says the doctor, and thinks about it for a while. "You're also
pug-ugly".

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2010 23:22, geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
[...]

Nah, he's the sort who visits the surgery with a sheaf of web page
printouts and *tells* the doctor what the diagnosis is

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message
In message , Tim Downie
writes

"geoff" wrote in message

Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around £180 which I
send out for £50

That's pretty a steep P&P charge. ;-)

I've gone upmarket

--
geoff

I removed the PCB from a (working) Floor Standing Worcester HighFlow
Heatslave - Happy to give it to you for the P&P if it is of any use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com scribeth thus
geoff wrote:
[...]

Ooo dunno .. I sometimes do that with one of the conditions I have and
my doc, consultant rather, is pleased in that I'm interested in that
condition and quite recently she found something of interest on the same
website...

'tho I do understand where Geoff is coming from !...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 10:13 pm, geoff wrote:
[...]

spose it depends what the website looks like? iow he may be wanting
some reassurance from an exchange of emails that you are who you say
you are and do what you say you do? e.g whether you routinely send out
replacements within the 12 month gtee period - course only a berk
would ask, and only a bigger berk would answer....

It may be inept in places but remember he is only a plummer.....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 10:13*pm, geoff wrote:
[...]

I can't see what's wrong with this email. He's asking the seller to
confirm whether the part is the right one. What's so strange about
that?

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 9, 9:43*am, RobertL wrote:
On Dec 8, 10:13*pm, geoff wrote:

[...]

It's the pomposity of it which comes out at me. I might almost
suspect that the guy was some legal wally, but then I'm more thinking
he's a plonker that thinks he's going to get a better service if he
uses long words and fancy phrases. The danger I see with either type
is that if there is some sort of hassle, you are going to get really
hassled.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2010 10:22, robgraham wrote:

It's the pomposity of it which comes out at me. I might almost
suspect that the guy was some legal wally, but then I'm more thinking
he's a plonker that thinks he's going to get a better service if he
uses long words and fancy phrases. The danger I see with either type
is that if there is some sort of hassle, you are going to get really
hassled.

Do a Currys and up sell him an (expensive) extended warranty?

Sounds the nervous sort to me. Educated before the 70s and had got the
other half nagging him ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On Dec 9, 9:43 am, RobertL wrote:

I can't see what's wrong with this email. He's asking the seller to
confirm whether the part is the right one. What's so strange about
that?

Robert

It's the pomposity of it which comes out at me. I might almost
suspect that the guy was some legal wally, but then I'm more thinking
he's a plonker that thinks he's going to get a better service if he
uses long words and fancy phrases. The danger I see with either type
is that if there is some sort of hassle, you are going to get really
hassled.

I hear the words "sale of goods act" presenting themselves at Geoff's inbox
if the fan fails in less than 6 years time.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2010 in message

robgraham wrote:

t's the pomposity of it which comes out at me. I might almost
suspect that the guy was some legal wally, but then I'm more thinking
he's a plonker that thinks he's going to get a better service if he
uses long words and fancy phrases.

I didn't see any long words or fancy phrases in there. I have sent similar
queries to suppliers for computer bits and always had had replies, either
saying yes it is compatible or no, but try this instead.

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/10 10:40, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 09/12/2010 in message

robgraham wrote:

t's the pomposity of it which comes out at me. I might almost
suspect that the guy was some legal wally, but then I'm more thinking
he's a plonker that thinks he's going to get a better service if he
uses long words and fancy phrases.

I didn't see any long words or fancy phrases in there. I have sent
similar queries to suppliers for computer bits and always had had
replies, either saying yes it is compatible or no, but try this instead.

I agree that it seems like a nervous customer.

Geoff - why not just send a succinct and polite short reply confirming
that the part is correct and whilst your firm always endeavour to
recondition parts to a high standard, it is a reconditioned part at a
reconditioned price with a 1 year warranty and leave it at that. If he
orders fine, if he wibbles again then suggest new-from-manufacturer part
may be mre to his taste.

2 emails at most, 50% chance of a sale.

Of course - if you are worried he'll hassle you until you die, then
he'll hassle your ghost, then you have to let your instinct decide that one.

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 09/12/2010 10:38, ARWadsworth wrote:

I hear the words "sale of goods act" presenting themselves at Geoff's inbox
if the fan fails in less than 6 years time.

Genuine question, how far does the Sale of Goods Act apply to
replacement component parts?

Especially since incorrect reassembly, wear and other faults in the rest
of the appliance can adversly affect a new part.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Educated before the 70s

Ah, you mean "actually educated" then.

I can't see anything wrong with the e-mail either. Pretty
straightforward format for business dealings. Maybe words of more than
one syllable upset people nowadays, especially if they're spelt proper
and that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 10:38:20 -0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

It's the pomposity of it which comes out at me. I might almost
suspect that the guy was some legal wally, but then I'm more

thinking
he's a plonker that thinks he's going to get a better service if

he
uses long words and fancy phrases. The danger I see with either

type
is that if there is some sort of hassle, you are going to get

really
hassled.

I hear the words "sale of goods act" presenting themselves at Geoff's
inbox if the fan fails in less than 6 years time.

Surely if that was the case he wouldn't be worried about the length
of the warranty as it's not relevant...

I read it as a request for confirmation that part "GC319037" from
Geoff's website is the same as the "589945011" that he has listed in
the manual for a particular make/model of boiler. The longevity
question simply cannot be answered other than in general terms,
confidence in the product as a 12 month warranty is given blah
blah... Does the manufacturer offer a longer warranty on spares?

The construction, wording and use of English is a little odd. But
many people struggle with the written word, particularly when trying
to be formal, precise and correct.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 11:07:45 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Ah, you mean "actually educated" then.

I can't see anything wrong with the e-mail either. Pretty
straightforward format for business dealings. Maybe words of more than
one syllable upset people nowadays, especially if they're spelt proper
and that.

Nor I. No doubt it comes over a bit officious, but anyone would think there
aren't any cowboy traders, operating online. He's simply looking for human
confirmation of what is claimed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 8, 10:13*pm, geoff wrote:
Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around 180 which I
send out for 50

Clearly I'm in the minority but I'm not seeing what's wrong with his e-
mail! :-)

Perhaps he's been warned off buying reconditioned parts and just wants
nudging in direction he clearly wants to by you saying that your 12mth
guarantee doesn't necesarily mean you only expect it to last that
long, simply that's your no-quibble warranty period, and that there's
no reason it shouldn't last as long as any other (even new) pump - if
not longer depending on what parts you use in the reconditioning! Of
course you cannot guarantee this, but it's always to hear such
assuming there's honesty behind the claims.

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"geoff" wrote in message

[...]

Asking about the 12 month warranty in the way he has is slightly odd but I
don't see what is wrong with the email.
If I'm buying goods at a good price from an unknown online retailer, I will
often email them asking if its in stock or does it come with a UK warranty
(if its AV gear).
I'm interested in what the reply says but I'm more interested that I
actually get a response. If I don't get response prior to a sale I'd put my
mortgage on getting absolutely no response once I had bought the goods so
would rather shop elsewhere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

I can understand the need to confirm the part is the right one.

I find the questions about the warranty most unusual. Almost as if he is
waiting for Geoff to offer a free extended warranty.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 9, 9:43*am, RobertL wrote:

I can't see what's wrong with this email. *He's asking the seller to
confirm whether the part is the right one. * *

It's odd isn't it. I too would run a mile from this buyer. Yet the
questions themselves are reasonable, and I can imagine other emails,
worded only slightly differently, that I'd be quite happy about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Dennis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 9, 10:38*am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

I hear the words "sale of goods act" presenting themselves at Geoff's inbox
if the fan fails in less than 6 years time.

I can see the words "Can't(sic) sell this to you, you're not a Corgi"
in Geoff's reply right this minute. Two can hide behind legislation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

From: Dennis

Now that is tempting. Set up a few new email address and keep asking Geoff
stupid questions.

I suppose he is used to it.

When I called in to to see Geoff (I was passing Watford) one guy phoned up
and asked Geoff if he could have directions to the office. The bloke then
asked Geoff to hold the line while he went to fetch a pen and paper to write
down the directions.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ron Lowe" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what the fuss is about. I would have replied in precisely the
same vain.

A website is impersonal, and some assurance from a human being goes a long
way. I might even have some standard message I could cut and paste as a
reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?
I have read your Terms and conditions and appreciate that as a refurbished
part it attracts only a twelve month warranty but could you advise that
the part should be in good-if not perfect- working order and can expect
some longevity from it.
As I say I have an order to place if you can comment back about the issues
raised.
Your earliest reply would be appreciated,"

--
geoff

Mu mum needs a part for her boiler, can I have your web address please (or
an email!)

Ta!

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 9, 2:39*pm, "Toby" wrote:

Mu mum needs a part for her boiler, can I have your web address please (or
an email!)

Ta!

Be careful with this one Geoff - next thing you know he'll be wanting
to actually order a part from you just like your other e-mailer! ;-)

(www.cetltd.com)

Mathew
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lee" wrote in message
On 09/12/2010 10:38, ARWadsworth wrote:

I hear the words "sale of goods act" presenting themselves at Geoff's
inbox
if the fan fails in less than 6 years time.

Genuine question, how far does the Sale of Goods Act apply to replacement
component parts?

Same as any other retail sale.
If it fails within 6 months geof would have to prove it wasn't faulty,
afterwards the buyer would have to prove it was faulty at the time of
purchase.

Especially since incorrect reassembly, wear and other faults in the rest
of the appliance can adversly affect a new part.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Geoff

Do you do recon PCB's & fans for a Worcester 24RSF? If so what your contact
details?

Ta

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 03:41:39 -0800 (PST), Mathew Newton
wrote:

On Dec 8, 10:13*pm, geoff wrote:
Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around 180 which I
send out for 50

Clearly I'm in the minority but I'm not seeing what's wrong with his e-
mail! :-)

I can't see the problem with it either. Maybe a bit long worded but
lots of people write letters like that *and emails*

Last time I wanted something for a boiler (a fan) I priced it up from
Geoff's website... then just before I was about to pick up the phone
and buy it I accidentally saw a brand new one, still in the
manufacturers packaging on ebay with a buy it now at about 1/3 price.

I guess by revealing this secret I'm now on his blacklist

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Cap
wrote

Nor I. No doubt it comes over a bit officious, but anyone would think there
aren't any cowboy traders, operating online.

And what reply would a cowboy send?

--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 23:38:21 +0000, Alan wrote:

Nor I. No doubt it comes over a bit officious, but anyone would think there
aren't any cowboy traders, operating online.

And what reply would a cowboy send?

It's a point and I recently got stiched up by a totally legitimate looking
outfit, but at least he's trying to protect himself which is all you can do,
make a judgement on what's said.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 9 Dec 2010 23:38:21 +0000, Alan
wrote:

In message , Andy Cap
wrote

Nor I. No doubt it comes over a bit officious, but anyone would think there
aren't any cowboy traders, operating online.

And what reply would a cowboy send?

No reply.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Dec 8, 10:13*pm, geoff wrote:
Most people know what I do - repair pcbs and fans for central heating
boilers. The item in question is a fan that costs around 180 which I
send out for 50

Clearly I'm in the minority but I'm not seeing what's wrong with his e-
mail! :-)

I can't see the problem with it either. Maybe a bit long worded but
lots of people write letters like that *and emails*

I concur. I would give the customer the benefit of the doubt.

It is likely that he just wanted to confirm that geoff's is a genuine
business and that he will actually get sent something rather than
nothing. In this case any sensible reply will satisfy him.

I would not be turning down sales because I didn't like this email.
--
(\__/) M.

Way OT - I got email from the FBI! Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 9 May 26th 10 11:35 PM
Email [email protected] Home Ownership 1 September 12th 08 12:02 AM
email extractor , site , solutions , email based marketing , email marketing solution , email extractor , newsletter software , mass email , e-mail marketing , email marketing solutions , bulk email software , web advertising , email marketing , mark Nuclear Incorporation. www.nuclear-inc.com UK diy 0 April 5th 07 09:31 PM
Email addresses RBM Home Repair 9 March 28th 05 11:02 PM
Lost my all my email and change of email addy Grant Erwin Metalworking 2 August 14th 03 11:30 PM