Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default end cutting pliers / pincers

Please can someone tell me whether end cutting pliers and pincers are
two names for the same thing or whether they are two different tools?

I had been struggling to remove some nails with pliers when a
neighbour let me borrow his pincers. The nails came out in no time at
all. I'm surprised at this because both pincers and pliers grab the
sides of the nail; what's so magical about pincers that they work so
much better?

I thought I would get myself some pincers but I see items described as
end cutting pliers that look identical. Are they really identical? I'm
wondering whether perhaps the cutting pliers have a sharp edge to cut,
whereas perhaps the pincers have a blunt edge. Otherwise wouldn't they
cut the nail in situ rather than pull it out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert" wrote in message
Please can someone tell me whether end cutting pliers and pincers are
two names for the same thing or whether they are two different tools?

I had been struggling to remove some nails with pliers when a
neighbour let me borrow his pincers. The nails came out in no time at
all. I'm surprised at this because both pincers and pliers grab the
sides of the nail; what's so magical about pincers that they work so
much better?

I thought I would get myself some pincers but I see items described as
end cutting pliers that look identical. Are they really identical? I'm
wondering whether perhaps the cutting pliers have a sharp edge to cut,
whereas perhaps the pincers have a blunt edge. Otherwise wouldn't they
cut the nail in situ rather than pull it out?

Don't pincers have rounded shoulders so that you can lever the nail out by
rolling the tool?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Yep, end cutting pliers would tend to pull sideways moreso.
Pincers - http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp...ferrer=froogle
Pliers -
http://www.buildsaver.co.uk/End-Cutt...ng-Nippers.asp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Oct, 10:39, Robert wrote:
Please can someone tell me whether end cutting pliers and pincers are
two names for the same thing or whether they are two different tools?

Two ends of a continuum. Cutters cut, pincers grip and lever - so the
fundamental difference is that the cutters are sharp enough to cut,
pincers should merely grip. As noted, pincers also need a smooth curve
as a rolling fulcrum, but both tend to have this anyway. It is worth
having both, and using accordingly.

In practice, pincers will still cut soft wire if over-squeezed, or
will at least nick it causing it to rust or break later (a problem
when tightening galvanized fence wire). The risk when pulling nails is
less of a risk, but it can happen when you're pulling small panel pins
(the stubs are then very hard to extract).

My pincers are all 50+ years old, because I haven't seen an equally
well-made pair in years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 10:39*am, Robert wrote:
Please can someone tell me whether end cutting pliers and pincers are
two names for the same thing or whether they are two different tools?

I had been struggling to remove some nails with pliers when a
neighbour let me borrow his pincers. The nails came out in no time at
all. I'm surprised at this because both pincers and pliers grab the
sides of the nail; what's so magical about pincers that they work so
much better?

I thought I would get myself some pincers but I see items described as
end cutting pliers that look identical. Are they really identical?

Use end cutters for pulling out nails and you'll soon knacker the
cutting edge.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robert" wrote in message
Please can someone tell me whether end cutting pliers and pincers are
two names for the same thing or whether they are two different tools?

I had been struggling to remove some nails with pliers when a
neighbour let me borrow his pincers. The nails came out in no time at
all. I'm surprised at this because both pincers and pliers grab the
sides of the nail; what's so magical about pincers that they work so
much better?

I thought I would get myself some pincers but I see items described as
end cutting pliers that look identical. Are they really identical? I'm
wondering whether perhaps the cutting pliers have a sharp edge to cut,
whereas perhaps the pincers have a blunt edge. Otherwise wouldn't they
cut the nail in situ rather than pull it out?

Not a dig at the Op by any means but I remember when such things were taught
in schools ....to everyone at the school

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

I recall being shown how to change a tap washer, a fuse and a plug.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On 28 Oct, 14:53, "TMC" wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message

[...]

Yep and the boys learned how to use a sewing machine and cook

Oh the early days of the comprehensives before elfin safety stopped kids
using machines

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2010 10:54, John wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Pincers don't have a very sharp cutting edge on them so they don't cut
through the nails before they are pulled out. End cutters are usually
the size of small electrical pliers and can cut nails and wires with the
same ease as side cutters.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2010 16:13, John wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

That reminds me of the time my local pub landlady came up to me at the
bar and asked if I could change a fuse in one of those wired jobbies.
Took me a couple of minutes and got me a free pint of real ale :-)

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:03:23 +0100, Dave
wrote:

On 28/10/2010 16:13, John wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Wired jobbies? The mind boggles...

;-)

--
Frank Erskine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
Use end cutters for pulling out nails and you'll soon knacker the
cutting edge.

Decent cutters shouldn't be worried by a normal nail. Masonry, maybe.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 8:24 am, "TMC" wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

On 28 Oct, 14:53, "TMC" wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message

. ..

[...]

At our school the boys did woodworkand metalwork and the girls did
cooking and sewing. When my eldest son went to the same school they
proudly announce that boys and girls would do all of the above.
When I went to the school reunion recently I discovered that they had
removed all the tools that were in any way dangerous, such as the
lathe and the forge. I guess the girls would get their hair caught in
the lathe or set their hair on fire in the forge.
I still have the projects that I made iwith the school lathe and
forge, over 50 years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 22:14:42 +0100, Frank Erskine wrote:

That reminds me of the time my local pub landlady came up to me at the
bar and asked if I could change a fuse in one of those wired jobbies.

Wired jobbies? The mind boggles...

;-)

Hair's more common.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 28, 11:31*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
In article
,
* *Man at B&Q wrote:

Use end cutters for pulling out nails and you'll soon knacker the
cutting edge.

Decent cutters shouldn't be worried by a normal nail. Masonry, maybe.

--
*In "Casablanca", Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam" *

* * Dave Plowman * * * * * * * * London SW
* * * * * * * * * To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I'm not sure I'd agree - as well as being sharper the edge may well
have different heat treatment (and be thinner, if they're flush
cutters, with only one bevel). They should have no difficulty in
cutting a nail, where the force is compression, but they're not
designed to have a sideways force on the edge. I've seen several
cutters with notches in the edge where people have tried to use them
as pincers and cracked a piece out - and these were not cheap chinese
tools, they were £30 jobs from Bahco and Lindstrom
Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 29, 10:55*am, docholliday wrote:
On Oct 28, 11:31*pm, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article
,
* *Man at B&Q wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Precision cutting tools should not be used for pulling nails
out.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Man at B&Q wrote:
Indeed. Precision cutting tools should not be used for pulling nails
out.

I suppose you're right. But I've not had a problem with decent cutters
being damaged by mild steel. Even Lidl ones survive this. ;-)

--
*It was all so different before everything changed.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 28/10/2010 16:13, John wrote:
wrote in message

wrote in message
[...]

Tradition ones that have 4 prongs either end to a fuse wire.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 14:53:36 +0100, "TMC" wrote:

Not a dig at the Op by any means but I remember when such things were taught
in schools ....to everyone at the school

I'm afraid that by the time I got to school woodwork and metalwork had
been replaced by "CDT", which was lots of D but very little C and no
T.

To take a traffic sign off a sign post, do I not hold the back of thescrew with one pliers while I twist the nut with another pliers? Chris Tsao Home Repair 7 October 21st 10 04:45 AM
Interesting pliers at CPC Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 39 June 16th 10 12:50 PM
Pliers in Texas javawizard Home Repair 5 March 6th 07 03:59 PM
Mystery Pliers The Medway Handyman UK diy 4 February 3rd 07 10:31 AM
Fencing pliers - use of ? Colin Wilson UK diy 12 March 16th 05 06:15 PM