Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Quarter-turn ceramic taps - Are H & C the same?

Apart from the direction of turn, and the red and blue colour coding (of
the top, and of the bottom rubber seal), is there any difference?

I'm asking this because my wife and I both prefer the taps to turn the
opposite way to the 'standard', which is, when off, with the handles
jutting forwards, across the sink bowl. We much prefer the handles to be
parked folded pointing outwards (-o and o-).

I did have the taps arranged this way, but, on two occasions, the hot
tap developed a leak (and another peculiar problem, too long to
explain). The first time it happened (after it had been in service for
three years), I 'cured' it by soaking the insert in Kilrok K for a
couple of hours (as there were signs of lime scale deposits in the
valve). However, after a year, the problem happened again, so I've
replaced the hot and, for good measure, the cold inserts - and, this
time, in their correct positions.

However, although it's over two weeks since I fixed the taps, we still
can't get used to the taps turning the 'correct' way, But before
changing things, I thought I'd ask whether I'm simply going to find that
the hot tap (fitted with cold insert) is likely again to have a
premature problems (and, possibly, vice versa). I really can't see any
obvious mechanical or material differences. I must add that I live in an
area of unbelievably hard water, which does tend to wreck anything
associated with plumbing. Any advice?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/10 14:04, Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

No difference AFAIK. I did the same - rotated the handles and swapped
the caps to give the desired effect.

I love 1/4 turn taps - you can see at a glance if they are off and
people (like me) don't turn them off to blacksmith's arm strength just
to be sure. and the kids don't leave them dripping (they might leave
them on - but if they do turn them off, they do it properly).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

I love 1/4 turn taps - you can see at a glance if they are off and
people (like me) don't turn them off to blacksmith's arm strength just
to be sure. and the kids don't leave them dripping (they might leave
them on - but if they do turn them off, they do it properly).

Trouble is that if they're half on, and you've forgotten which way
they go, you may end up getting soaked when trying to turn them off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2010 14:04, Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

I think the innards are the same - so it doesn't matter, you can swap
them if you like.

If you're worried, you can also swap the way in which an individual
cartridge works by taking it apart and re-assembling it with the innards
in different positions, to suit.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
On 27/10/10 14:04, Ian Jackson wrote:
Apart from the direction of turn, and the red and blue colour coding (of
the top, and of the bottom rubber seal), is there any difference?

No difference AFAIK. I did the same - rotated the handles and swapped
the caps to give the desired effect.

I love 1/4 turn taps - you can see at a glance if they are off and
people (like me) don't turn them off to blacksmith's arm strength just
to be sure. and the kids don't leave them dripping (they might leave
them on - but if they do turn them off, they do it properly).

Thanks for the confirmation. I just wondered if there was some subtle
difference - like the different pressure and temperature ratings for the
inlet hoses for washing machines.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ronald Raygun
writes
Tim Watts wrote:

I love 1/4 turn taps - you can see at a glance if they are off and
people (like me) don't turn them off to blacksmith's arm strength just
to be sure. and the kids don't leave them dripping (they might leave
them on - but if they do turn them off, they do it properly).

Trouble is that if they're half on, and you've forgotten which way
they go, you may end up getting soaked when trying to turn them off.

I've already had that problem! Last year, we had a small extension /
utility room added to the rear of the kitchen, with its own additional
sink. At this sink, the taps turn in the original direction. A few steps
away, at the kitchen sink, until a couple of weeks ago, the taps turned
in the opposite direction. I was always turning the utility room taps in
the wrong direction, and spraying water everywhere. The dilemma now is
whether to leave all four taps alone (all now turning in the original
direction), or to swap them all to what we want.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Roger Mills
writes
[...]

I already been running them swapped - for over three years, plus the one
additional year - before the hot tap (the cold insert) started dripping
(plus the other weird problem, which I won't complicate matters with).

Mechanically, the inserts look like mirror-images of each other, but I
just wondered if there was some non-obvious subtle difference between
them.

If you're worried, you can also swap the way in which an individual
cartridge works by taking it apart and re-assembling it with the
innards in different positions, to suit.

I can't recall seeing any obvious way to take the inserts themselves
apart. That seems like doing things the 'hard way'.

One of the main problems with this sort of tap is that there a fair
variety of styles of insert. Needless to say, it is an essential design
feature that any one type has to be incompatible with all the others!
Even though I did my best to ensure that the replacements I chose were
identical to the originals, they weren't quite. The splined spindles
were about 1.5mm too long, but, fortunately, easily trimmed to the
correct length.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson :
Apart from the direction of turn, and the red and blue colour coding
(of the top, and of the bottom rubber seal), is there any difference?

I'm asking this because my wife and I both prefer the taps to turn the
opposite way to the 'standard', which is, when off, with the handles
jutting forwards, across the sink bowl. We much prefer the handles to
be parked folded pointing outwards (-o and o-).

Same here. I don't understand the "standard" - it makes no sense to me,
on any level. Anyway I swapped the inserts round in our downstairs loo
about a day after the plumber left. They've been fine. The handles are
separate from the mechanism so there's nothing on the insert itself to
indicate hot or cold.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Ian Jackson :
Apart from the direction of turn, and the red and blue colour coding
(of the top, and of the bottom rubber seal), is there any difference?

I'm asking this because my wife and I both prefer the taps to turn the
opposite way to the 'standard', which is, when off, with the handles
jutting forwards, across the sink bowl. We much prefer the handles to
be parked folded pointing outwards (-o and o-).

Same here. I don't understand the "standard" - it makes no sense to me,
on any level. Anyway I swapped the inserts round in our downstairs loo
about a day after the plumber left. They've been fine. The handles are
separate from the mechanism so there's nothing on the insert itself to
indicate hot or cold.

Well, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who's a bit odd, and
out-of-step with society!

To me, the obvious way is to have the tap handles parked in the
folded-back position.

But if this is a 'user option', why do the manufactures colour code the
sealing washer (at the bottom end of the inserts) red and blue? Is the
way the taps turn a buildings standard, like normally having the hot tap
on the left, and the cold on the right? Or is it simply to prevent
mistakes during production, or to prevent you from buying the 'wrong
one' if you need to fit a replacement?
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Ian Jackson :

I'm asking this because my wife and I both prefer the taps to turn the
opposite way to the 'standard', which is, when off, with the handles
jutting forwards, across the sink bowl. We much prefer the handles to
be parked folded pointing outwards (-o and o-).

Same here. I don't understand the "standard" - it makes no sense to me,
on any level.

Doesn't it? Then what would?

Of course you may feel that they ought to operate in the same way as
ordinary taps (clockwise off for both hot and cold), but if you accept
that (for aesthetic reasons) they need to operate clockwise on for one
and clockwise off for the other, then the choice is between (a) pushing
both handles away from you for on, and (b) pulling towards you for on.

It seems to me that of those two options the former is the more natural,
by association with, say, a slider volume control on audio equipment,
or rheostat theatre lighting controls.

The problem may be that you don't think in terms of away/towards, but
are mentally stuck in clockwise/anticlockwise terms. The cold tap is
the one you tend to operate much more often than the hot, and if that
is on the right hand side (as it usually is), turning it off clockwise
would correspond to option (b).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronald Raygun :
Mike Barnes wrote:

Ian Jackson :

I'm asking this because my wife and I both prefer the taps to turn the
opposite way to the 'standard', which is, when off, with the handles
jutting forwards, across the sink bowl. We much prefer the handles to
be parked folded pointing outwards (-o and o-).

Same here. I don't understand the "standard" - it makes no sense to me,
on any level.

Doesn't it? Then what would?

What the OP said makes sense and is exactly what I did in our downstairs
loo.

Of course you may feel that they ought to operate in the same way as
ordinary taps (clockwise off for both hot and cold),
[...]

No, I don't.

It makes sense to me to have the lever aligned with the flow when "on",
and across the direction of flow when "off". Many lever valves work that
way, and for good reason.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Ronald Raygun :
Mike Barnes wrote:

Ian Jackson :

[...]

That makes sense, I agree, but more so for valves used only rarely, like
gas stopcocks, or connector arrangements for washing machines etc. For
valves operated frequently, ergonomic considerations may override this
principle.

I think I've misunderstood the description of the OP's setup, because
my memory is tainted with the tap arrangement I used to have once.

On mine, the axis of rotation of the knobs was horizontal (and indeed the
two knobs were co-axial). Taking the cold (right hand) knob, you would
rotate it clockwise for on, which meant pushing the top side of the knob
away from you. In other words, the lever would be horizontal facing towards
you for off, and would be vertical for fully on, though conceivably you
could pull the knob off the valve stem and put it back on 90 degrees out,
so that the lever would be vertical for off and horizontal pointing away
from you for on.

On re-reading the OP, it seems his knobs rotate in a vertical axis, with
the levers *always* horizontal, and the original arrangement has the
levers pointing towards him for off and away from wach other for on (i.e.
cold clockwise off, hot clockwise on). And he wants them pointing away
from each other for off. Not clear whether he wants them pointing towards
or away from him when on. If the latter, could he not just mount the
whole assembly rotated round by 180 degrees, and re-colour the buttons?
That way he wouldn't need to delve into the valve innards.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ronald Raygun
writes
Mike Barnes wrote:

Ronald Raygun :
Mike Barnes wrote:

Ian Jackson :

[...]

It's a normal mixer tap (the kind with a swivelling 'spout' in the
centre).

If you turn the whole tap around, you do make the hot tap cold, and the
cold tap hot, but you don't change the direction of rotation of the
handles.

And you are unlikely ever to want the handles pointing away from you
(towards the wall) - which they would (when off) if the virgin tap was
rotated. And if you re-positioned the handles, you would be back where
you started!

No, I think you've misinterpreted my original question, which was "Other
than turning in opposite directions, is there any real difference
between the hot and cold inserts", ie "Is there any reason why the cold
insert should not be used for the hot water, and vice versa?"
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronald Raygun :
Mike Barnes wrote:

Ronald Raygun :
Mike Barnes wrote:

Ian Jackson :

[...]

1000 words...

http://thedowerhouse.com/pics/taps.jpg

As fitted the levers pointed towards the user when off.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Ronald Raygun
writes

[...]

Yes, but you can swap the hose connections underneath to correct that.

but you don't change the direction of rotation of the handles.

Yes you do, that was the whole point of my suggestion! See below.

And you are unlikely ever to want the handles pointing away from you
(towards the wall) - which they would (when off) if the virgin tap was
rotated.

I guess it depends on how much room there is behind the sink for the
handles, but I don't think it would bother me. Anyway, that's why I
suggested rotating the knobs.

If what the OP wants is for the handles to be off when pointing away
from each other, and on when pointing towards him, then my suggestion
delivers exactly that.

And if you re-positioned the handles, you would be back where
you started!

No you wouldn't. As originally configured, you have cold on the right,
hot on the left, handles towards you for off, handles away from each
other for on. This means that the cold handle is clockwise off and the
hot handle is clockwise on. They're mirror images of each other and
therefore different.

If you turn the whole thing around, then the cold handle is still
clockwise off, but is now on the left. It's now off when the handle
points away from you, but if you re-position the handle, it does
exactly what's wanted.

No, I think you've misinterpreted my original question, which was "Other
than turning in opposite directions, is there any real difference
between the hot and cold inserts", ie "Is there any reason why the cold
insert should not be used for the hot water, and vice versa?"

I didn't misunderstand the question (which has in any case been answered
by others), I just looked for the question behind the question, and
addressed that! :-)

I am making assumptions which I'm not sure are warranted, namely that
it's an easier job to turn the thing around[*], re-plumb the hose or
pipe connections[*], and shift the knobs, than it is to take the valves
themselves apart and reconfigure their innards. The two tasks labelled[*] of course are null tasks if one thinks this through before plumbing
it in the "wrong" way to start with.

Another key assumption is that the spout has full 360 degree swivelling
freedom. It wouldn't do if it has a stop.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ronald Raygun :
I am making assumptions which I'm not sure are warranted, namely that
it's an easier job to turn the thing around[*], re-plumb the hose or
pipe connections[*], and shift the knobs, than it is to take the valves
themselves apart and reconfigure their innards.

That wasn't the case here. I swapped the innards round without breaking
into a sweat and without my knees touching the floor. I've also replaced
a worn-out quarter-turn valve in the kitchen tap in about two minutes
using nothing more difficult than a pair of pliers. The construction of
the taps is really pretty simple.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Ronald Raygun
writes
Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Ronald Raygun
writes

[...]

But that's not something that anyone would 'want' to do!

but you don't change the direction of rotation of the handles.

Yes you do, that was the whole point of my suggestion! See below.

Ah, yes. You're absolutely right on that. My mistake. [I don't know why
I said that!!]

And you are unlikely ever to want the handles pointing away from you
(towards the wall) - which they would (when off) if the virgin tap was
rotated.

I guess it depends on how much room there is behind the sink for the
handles, but I don't think it would bother me. Anyway, that's why I
suggested rotating the knobs.

If what the OP wants is for the handles to be off when pointing away
from each other, and on when pointing towards him, then my suggestion
delivers exactly that.

Yes indeed. As rotating the whole assembly transposes the taps, it also
transposes the hot and cold inserts. If you now reposition the handles,
you get what I want.

Actually, this is exactly what I did when I first installed the mixer
tap, fours years ago. It has the added advantage of moving the position
of the grub-screw (which retains the swivelling spout) from the back
(where you can't get a screwdriver to it) to the front (where you can) -
although, when replacing the O-ring (as you have to do every year or
two), you have to take care not to lose the grubscrew down the plughole!

And if you re-positioned the handles, you would be back where
you started!

As I confessed, I was wrong about that.

[...]

If the tap is already installed, far the easiest thing to do is simply
to transpose the inserts and, when you re-fit the handles, with the taps
'off' position, put them pointing left and right, away from each other.
It's then only a question of whether, because of some subtle difference
between the hot and cold inserts (which are now controlling the 'wrong'
type of water), you should really have done it! But from what has been
said, it seems that there shouldn't be a problem.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Ian Jackson, A26sqdnRock wrote:
Ever looked at hospital taps. They are on when the handles are in the same
direction as the spout, and OFF when at right angles to the spout, so you are
not necessarily wrong having them the way you like them, in fact you are
actually correct in the way you like them. In short , ON - handles pointing
with the flow. Off - handles pointing across the flow - common sense and not a
slave to aesthetic looks.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...me-664616-.htm