Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Injet printer cartridge refills

On 05/10/2010 22:23, John Rumm wrote:
On 05/10/2010 17:20, Dave wrote:
On 01/10/2010 21:50, Wesley wrote:

I've been using refill kits, both black and colour, for about 7 years,
and I've always
been very happy with the results.

Same here - never had a problem except once when I didn't use the
printer
for abour six weeks and the heads dried up. But I believe this could
have
happened even if I had been using Canon ink.

Out of nothing but curiosity, are the ink nozzles in the printer or the
cartridge? I once had an Epson photo printer and the nozzles on that are
in the printer and I had to use a full brand new cartridge to unblock
them when I hadn't used it over the summer. I have now switched to HP
printers and in general, I have been pleased with them.

Some of the earlier cannon pixmas had the reasonable compromise of the
head being a separate plug in component that can be changed
independently of the ink.

Thanks, my wife holds a pixima for the local Beaver Scout group, next
time she gets it out to use I'll take a look.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 16:27:01 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:58:06 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

What colour laser printer did you choose, as a matter of interest?

HP Colour LaserJet CP1515n. It's on my LAN so is accessable from all
machines. It does occasionally (once every couple of months)
disappear from the LAN as far as printing is concerned but you can
still talk to it over the LAN to its web interface...

I can also recommend this printer. However I have never had any
problems with it disappearing from the LAN ..... yet ;-) It works
with Windows and Linux too.

Life's too short to faff around with inkjet printers IMHO. I have
never had much success with refill kits and "compatible" cartridges
for my HP and Epson printers.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/printers
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 02 Oct 2010 11:33:43 +0100, Adrian C
wrote:

On 01/10/2010 21:18, Michael Chare wrote:
Canon replacement cartridges for my Pixma printer now cost almost as
much as I originally paid for the printer!

There are various cartridge refill kits which I could buy. Are these any
good?

Get a cheap BW laser printer and keep the Pixma on Canon original colour
inks for use when colour printing really matters.

Unfortunately inkjet printers need to be used frequently and this
policy may lead to loads of hassle unclogging jets etc.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Inkjet printer cartridge refills

wrote:

On 01/10/2010 21:18, Michael Chare wrote:
Canon replacement cartridges for my Pixma printer now cost almost as
much as I originally paid for the printer!

There are various cartridge refill kits which I could buy. Are these any
good?

Get a cheap BW laser printer and keep the Pixma on Canon original colour
inks for use when colour printing really matters.

Unfortunately inkjet printers need to be used frequently and this
policy may lead to loads of hassle unclogging jets etc.

ITYM they need to be kept plugged in and on standby.
They will then perform cycles to prevent the heads drying out, this does use
ink and will empty the carts after a year or three.
Mine uses about 3W of electricity in standby but that is very low for a
networked printer so I can't complain too much.

I expect that some old printers used so much power in standby you could buy
a new one from the savings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:53:11 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

ITYM they need to be kept plugged in and on standby.
They will then perform cycles to prevent the heads drying out,

Not heard that before, none of my injets have done that to my
knowledge and there is nothing the manual. These are now old printers
mind, both Epson a Stylus Color II and Sylus Photo Color 890. Maybe
the makers are catching on to this major drawback with infrequent use
of an inkjet?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 07 Oct 2010 11:28:17 +0100, Mark wrote:

HP Colour LaserJet CP1515n.

I can also recommend this printer. However I have never had any
problems with it disappearing from the LAN ..... yet ;-) It works
with Windows and Linux too.

I've got it working from OS/2 Warp 3 as well but not really for
colour unless you only have 8 bits/pixel colour.

Life's too short to faff around with inkjet printers IMHO.

Agreed.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 11:53:11 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

ITYM they need to be kept plugged in and on standby.
They will then perform cycles to prevent the heads drying out,

Not heard that before, none of my injets have done that to my
knowledge and there is nothing the manual. These are now old printers
mind, both Epson a Stylus Color II and Sylus Photo Color 890. Maybe
the makers are catching on to this major drawback with infrequent use
of an inkjet?

Maybe they have people detectors to make sure they only do it when you
aren't there.
Maybe its only all in ones, mine are AIO except for the Stylus colour 1510
and I don't leave that on.
Maybe you are correct and they didn't do it on old ones.
I think a straw poll is called for, it will be more fun than impossible
physics. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/10/2010 11:30, Mark wrote:

Unfortunately inkjet printers need to be used frequently and this
policy may lead to loads of hassle unclogging jets etc.

On some you are correct.

However my Canon ip4300 stands up to being left alone for months at a
time, and never to date (touch wood) has clogged up beyond the printers
programme to do a short blast through with a cleaning cycle. Hassle is
when that cleaning cycle fails on something like my old Epson Photo 750
(sitting buried in landfill somewhere between a mouldy packet of crisps
and a decomposing rat...)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yep, that was my logic as well for dumping the mono laser and colour
inkjet in favour of a colour laser. The colour laser is fine for most
output and if I want something done properly I send away and get it
done properly...

What colour laser printer did you choose, as a matter of interest?
(I'm about to make such a choice choice.)

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment, 70quid + VAT is findable and
a full set of 1500 page compatible carts can be had from consumable cafe
for 53quid + VAT, quite a lot less than the HP.

It's what I would recommend for a low volume networked laser these days.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home"
saying something like:

Unfortunately inkjet printers need to be used frequently and this
policy may lead to loads of hassle unclogging jets etc.

ITYM they need to be kept plugged in and on standby.
They will then perform cycles to prevent the heads drying out, this does use
ink and will empty the carts after a year or three.
Mine uses about 3W of electricity in standby but that is very low for a
networked printer so I can't complain too much.

After years of Epson cartridge/printhead torture, I finally binned them
and bought an HP a few years ago. This needs just the occasional use to
keep things freed up nicely, and I set a manual reminder to print a
small full-colour image once a month. The cost is negligible.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 992850 20101008 182416 fred wrote:

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment, 70quid + VAT is findable and
a full set of 1500 page compatible carts can be had from consumable cafe
for 53quid + VAT, quite a lot less than the HP.

Where can I get one for £70 + VAT?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote:
in 992850 20101008 182416 wrote:

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment, 70quid + VAT is findable and
a full set of 1500 page compatible carts can be had from consumable cafe
for 53quid + VAT, quite a lot less than the HP.

Where can I get one for £70 + VAT?

Depending on what value you put on the toner cartridges ...

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:24:16 +0100, fred wrote:

In article , Timothy Murphy
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Yep, that was my logic as well for dumping the mono laser and colour
inkjet in favour of a colour laser. The colour laser is fine for most
output and if I want something done properly I send away and get it
done properly...

What colour laser printer did you choose, as a matter of interest? (I'm
about to make such a choice choice.)

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment, 70quid + VAT is findable and
a full set of 1500 page compatible carts can be had from consumable cafe
for 53quid + VAT, quite a lot less than the HP.

It's what I would recommend for a low volume networked laser these days.

Looks promising, but..

From the lack of other information on Dell's website, it looks like a
WinPrinter. No mention of printer language (PCL or PostScript) so usable
only with Windows.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:24:16 +0100, fred wrote:

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment

Looks promising, but..
From the lack of other information on Dell's website, it looks like a
WinPrinter. No mention of printer language (PCL or PostScript) so usable
only with Windows.

I am lead to believe it's a rebadged Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C525A and
works fine with Macs and Penguins.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 14:33:29 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:24:16 +0100, fred wrote:

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment

Looks promising, but..
From the lack of other information on Dell's website, it looks like a
WinPrinter. No mention of printer language (PCL or PostScript) so
usable only with Windows.

I am lead to believe it's a rebadged Fuji Xerox DocuPrint C525A and
works fine with Macs and Penguins.

Ah, I'll investigate further. I have a Xerox DocuPrint inkjet here that I
want to replace. That has been 100% reliable, and is PostScript.

Not that I want it to work with a Max *or* a Penguin...I have Beasties!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Ah, I'll investigate further. I have a Xerox DocuPrint inkjet here that I
want to replace. That has been 100% reliable, and is PostScript.

Using google image search for the different models seems to show more of
a likeness (specifically the cartridges) to a docuprint C1100, but they
seem to use different model numbers in different parts of the world ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 15:39:43 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Ah, I'll investigate further. I have a Xerox DocuPrint inkjet here that
I want to replace. That has been 100% reliable, and is PostScript.

Using google image search for the different models seems to show more of
a likeness (specifically the cartridges) to a docuprint C1100, but they
seem to use different model numbers in different parts of the world ...

Xerox seem into HBPL rather than any other PDL, so I think they're a non-
starter. They actually provide a Linux driver..

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Xerox seem into HBPL rather than any other PDL

The Xerox C1110 speaks PCL (and the networked versions speak PS) as well
as HBPL

http://www.fujixerox.com.au/products...-C1110/dpc1110

But it seems the software on the Dell version is chopped down to be a
WinPrinter only

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...19.htm#1056869

Shame, unless you fancy trying to flash it with FujiXerox firmware ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes

http://www.ijtgits.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Absolute ****s, please, please don't buy anything from these people.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Bob Martin
writes
in 992850 20101008 182416 fred wrote:

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment, 70quid + VAT is findable and
a full set of 1500 page compatible carts can be had from consumable cafe
for 53quid + VAT, quite a lot less than the HP.

Where can I get one for £70 + VAT?

They regularly come up on special at that price at CPC, if you're not in
a hurry, sign up for offer alerts with them for a while and you should
get one within a couple of months. Then definitely unsubscribe from
alerts, they're a real pita.

They appear to be off special at the mo, no stock at under CPC's £109 +
VAT.

I would recommend you not to buy from ijt or any of their name clones.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

Andy Burns writes

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Absolute ****s, please, please don't buy anything from these people.

Care to explain why? I know of several people who have purchased that
model from that company, with nothing more than the occasional call to
try and sell further refills.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes
In article , Bob Martin
writes
in 992850 20101008 182416 fred wrote:

The Dell 1320C is pretty hot at the moment, 70quid + VAT is findable and
a full set of 1500 page compatible carts can be had from consumable cafe
for 53quid + VAT, quite a lot less than the HP.

Where can I get one for £70 + VAT?

They regularly come up on special at that price at CPC, if you're not in
a hurry, sign up for offer alerts with them for a while and you should
get one within a couple of months. Then definitely unsubscribe from
alerts, they're a real pita.

They appear to be off special at the mo, no stock at under CPC's £109 +
VAT.

Sorry, just checked and it was our mono laser that was 70quid, the Dell
was £109 + VAT as it is now.
--
fred

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
fred wrote:

Andy Burns writes

http://www.ijtdirect.co.uk/?sct=dell1320cn

Absolute ****s, please, please don't buy anything from these people.

Care to explain why? I know of several people who have purchased that
model from that company, with nothing more than the occasional call to
try and sell further refills.

They are frequent and unrepentant spammers, and refuse to cease contact
when requested, no matter how frequently or hard you try.

They buy out companies with established good reputations and then grind
the reputation to a pulp by gutter marketing and cold calling.

After repeated refusals to stop contacting me I started researching
their operation and directors, and found a trail of dirty tricks,
borderline legal operations and tribunal judgements.

Based on the information I found, I formed the opinion that the guy who
runs the business is a grade A **** and not someone I would give one
penny of my money to.

Beware, many companies of previously good reputation are now Bentham Ltd
t/a old name.

If you ever do business with them, make sure that the phone number you
give them is fake and that the email address is disposable, it will be
spammed unmercilessly.

Oh, and watch out for the bait and switch: Sorry, that deal has finished
but we have deal X at just 30quid more. The discontinued deal will still
stay on site for weeks.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"fred" wrote in message ...
In article , Andy Burns
writes
fred wrote:

Andy Burns writes

[...]

I suspect suing them may stop it (and yes there is a legal precedence for
doing so)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , fred writes

Absolute ****s, please, please don't buy anything from these people.

Totally agreed. Endless fax spamming and requests to stop ignored.
Wouldn't buy anything from these ****s on principle.

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In , writes

Absolute ****s, please, please don't buy anything from these people.

Totally agreed. Endless fax spamming and requests to stop ignored.
Wouldn't buy anything from these ****s on principle.

OK, I'll go with the theory that they have bought up previously "ok"
companies and turned them evil then, because they *were* recommended and
seconded at one time ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Oct, 16:27, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

HP Colour LaserJet CP1515n. It's on my LAN so is accessable from all
machines. It does occasionally (once every couple of months)
disappear from the LAN as far as printing is concerned but you can
still talk to it over the LAN to its web interface...

Sorry for thread necro, but I bought one of these machines today and
it's really rather good. Can't comment on the disappearing network
quirk, as I haven't set that up yet, but the colour print quality on
plain 80gsm paper is much better than the last inkjet I had on the
same paper. I am going to investigate it's ability with the fancier
papers, though. Due to the nature of the beast (toner) I am not sure
if it's ultimate printing quality will rival a 'professionally'
printed photo (I highly doubt it will), but it is certainly a good
enough machine for run-of-the-mill picture printing.

The one thing that threw me was the need to perform a couple of
calibration operations to make sure the colours registered properly.
Doesn't take long.