Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default What happens when the canister explodes ?

Hope this gives someone a laugh despite my mishap.

I have cavity wall insulation and this morning I decided to use a
professional expanding foam gun to put some expanding foam into the cavity
before I put a brick in and then rendered over it.

All was going well until suddenly, without any warning whatsoever, I presume
because of the pressure in the canister, the gun exploded and foam started
squirting everywhere. Although I was prepared with thin plastic gloves for
the job I was dong, this was no match for the amount of foam.

I managed to get my finger over the canister nozzle, but I could not hold it
for long due to the pressure. I finally stuffed the canister into a mound of
earth nozzle first.

Oh what a mess. I certainly got more insulation than I had bargained for.

However, with the foam all over the place and on my hands, I could not
clench my hands as my fingers kept sticking together. The wife was out also
so I had to fend for myself.

Without the proper spray that you clean these guns with, how would you
suggest cleaning your hands ?

I tried hot water. Cold water. Washing up liquid. Isopropanol, finishing up
with moisturising cream. The latter seems to have done the best job of all I
just have a really greasy look to the palms of my hands now.

Jim

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 11:52:04 +0100, the_constructor wrote:

Without the proper spray that you clean these guns with, how would you
suggest cleaning your hands ?

Vegetable oil. Like it says on the tin... but I guess that was
covered in foam by then and illegible. B-) It's not an instant
removal but does lift it off.

I've only used foam once and also found that that it sticks instantly
to unprotected skin. Next time I use foam I'll apply vegitable oil
first and still wear gloves...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor wrote:
Hope this gives someone a laugh despite my mishap.

BTDTGTTS - only once...
Me, the garden, the house, and the neighbours' house and garden ended up
covered in small white pellets of the stuff. I was well popular.

Acetone (proper nail-varnish remover) works reasonably well as a solvent

David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 23, 11:52 am, "the_constructor"
wrote:
[...]

white spirit whilst foam wet

Jim K

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

the_constructor :
Without the proper spray that you clean these guns with, how would you
suggest cleaning your hands ?

I'd head straight for the Swarfega.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2010 11:52, the_constructor wrote:
[...]

Probably the best would be what I think every DIYer should have in his
shed, and that's cellulose thinners. Dissolves almost anything that
water won't. But get it in 5 litre cans for a little over £10, rather
than the very expensive way Halfords sell it.

Rob Graham
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-23, Rob wrote:

Probably the best would be what I think every DIYer should have in his
shed, and that's cellulose thinners. Dissolves almost anything that
water won't. But get it in 5 litre cans for a little over £10,

From ... ?

(I've just about run out. Some question for isopropyl alcohol, too, I've
only a splash of that left.)

(Answers own question; Automotive paint supplier?)

Yes, but I also find that motor factors (or, at least, one near me) sell it.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 2010-08-23, Rob Graham wrote:

Probably the best would be what I think every DIYer should have in his
shed, and that's cellulose thinners. Dissolves almost anything that
water won't. But get it in 5 litre cans for a little over £10,

From ... ?

(I've just about run out. Some question for isopropyl alcohol, too, I've
only a splash of that left.)

(Answers own question; Automotive paint supplier?)

--
Today is Setting Orange, the 16th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3176
Open are the double doors of the horizon, unlock'd are its bolts

You can get Isopropyl or Isopropanol as some call it from your local chemist
for about £5 for 500mL

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Baz Baz is offline

"the_constructor" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Old but still funny.

http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/humour.html#foam

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

On 23 Aug, 16:02, "Baz" wrote:
[...]

I just knew that one would come out to play again. Still funny after
all these years.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
No Name

On 23 Aug,
"the_constructor" wrote:

[...]

I had a similar (but smaller) incident recently when I dropped a part used
cannister, and it landed on the valve, jamming it partly open. I found
cellulose thinners worked on the uncured foam on my hands.

--
B Thumbs
Change lycos to yahoo to reply
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

An interesting conundrum, PU foam or PU adhesive. What's hardest to
remove from skin?