Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning gutters .. cost ?

I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

time because some will be easy and some might need scaffolding.

Pressure washer is a good idea.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
al al is offline

On 20 Aug, 15:40, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Mike P the 1st wrote:

I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

time because some will be easy and some might need scaffolding.

Pressure washer is a good idea.

Mine was £18 recently, 3 bed det 2 storey and bits on garage, guy used
ladder with a small shovel and a pail.
Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher writes:
Mike P the 1st wrote:
I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

time because some will be easy and some might need scaffolding.

Also, are you going to make any repairs that might be needed,
such as fixing leaking joins?

Pressure washer is a good idea.

Excellent for blowing the rubber seals out, and then you have
a leaking gutter.

I made up a long length of pipe bent around with a hooked end,
and the tip hammered slightly flatter to make a crude fishtail
jet. Hook over gutter, and slowly slide along. Don't use high
pressure or, as I said above, you'll blow the gutter seals,
particularly if they aren't in new pristine condition.
You will end up with sandy mud and other crap from the gutters
down the walls and all over you, and you'll need to hose that
off afterwards (and clean the windows). Wear goggles to keep
the grit out of your eyes.

Interesting thing is that since I started replacing all the
gutters with new ones 8 - 10 years ago, no muck has collected
in the new ones at all, so I don't need to do it anymore.

In the distant past, I have also done it by unclipping and
taking gutters down, when access is easy. You can then also
clean out the seals, and replace any that need it. However,
by the time you've done that, and replaced the odd bracket
which inevitably snaps, you do question if it's worth putting
the old gutter back up or if you might as well fit a new one.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

time because some will be easy and some might need scaffolding.

Pressure washer is a good idea.

Only if you want to spend several hours cleaning up the mess.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in
message ...
I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

time ... look at it as if it is 1/2 day or full day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:
"Mike P the 1st" wrote
in message ...
I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

time ... look at it as if it is 1/2 day or full day.

Eh?? We have a 3-bed semi dormer (chalet-style I believe they're also
called) bungalow so we have guttering above the ground floor level and also
above the bedroom level. We also have no downspouts on our property at all -
the guttering forms a U-shape with the open end of the U towards next-door
so that all rain falling on us gets channeled to them and they have the
downspouts.

Using a ladder for the top level, a step ladder for the lower, a bucket and
a small "gardener's-type" trowel, it took me no more than an hour-and-half
to get 4 bucket-loads of crap out of my guttering and another hour to do
theirs.

If somebody came and said that it would be half a day's work to clear out
the gutters I'd send 'em packing with a flea in their ear. This is
beer-money work, not make-yourself-rich work. By pure coincidence a local
handyman had been round the street a day earlier posting flyers through
letterboxes and said that he'd do it for £25 per house (Lancashire) but I
didn't see the point of paying someone when I knew I could do it meself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

I usually quote £60 for front & back on a standard two storey house, around
£45 for a bungalow (Kent).

Set of drain rods with drop scraper saves moving the ladder too much, ladder
stay makes life easier.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 18:28:51 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
gently dipped his quill in the
best Quink that money could buy:

Mike P the 1st wrote:
I have been asked to quote (in North Yorkshire) for cleaning out
gutters.
Some are bungalows and others are two story.

Time or by the metre ?

Mike P the 1st

I usually quote £60 for front & back on a standard two storey house, around
£45 for a bungalow (Kent).

Set of drain rods with drop scraper saves moving the ladder too much, ladder
stay makes life easier.

I think it will be time.

I was asked to go immediately to a bungalow on the complex as rain
water was flowing everywhere. The housing manager said would I quote
for 5 bungalows and two two story buildings whilst I was there.
I posted the question on here .. time or by the metre ? .. before I
left to do the job on one bungalow.

Well .. There was approx 70m of guttering .. of which 8m, you could
hardly get your fingers into the gutter for the pantiles being deeply
set inside the gutter. Struggled there.
One blocked down pipe ... removed from gutter and cleared
One grid/gully blocked full of sediment, a good arm length deep.

4 full buckets and 1.5 hrs later .. finished.There was alot of cement
from the hips and roof gullys amongst all the leaves and sediment.

Pressure washer !! My god what a mess that would make ... I think it
was not serious ?

How much to charge for that job ? Travelling was only 15mins each way.

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike P the 1st" wrote in
message ...

Mike P the 1st wrote:
[...]

Some people use pressure washers for everything - an obsession

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
[...]

I would have charged £45 first hour, then £20 per hour afterwards. So for
1.5 hrs £55. I would usually quote £60 as I said earlier.

70m on a bungalow?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 01:00:13 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
gently dipped his quill in the
best Quink that money could buy:

70m on a bungalow?

Yes ... the gutters ran around all sides and there were alcoves with
several projections if you see what I mean. The garages are part of
the building. These were top end of the market when built.

Mike P the 1st
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike P the 1st wrote:
On Sat, 21 Aug 2010 01:00:13 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
gently dipped his quill in the
best Quink that money could buy:

70m on a bungalow?

Yes ... the gutters ran around all sides and there were alcoves with
several projections if you see what I mean. The garages are part of
the building. These were top end of the market when built.

Got a postcode so I can Goggle Earth it?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk