Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cleaning the gutters - not a question

More of an observation, or series of rhetorical questions.
But is there any worse task than cleaning gutters? I used to think so, but
after doing it for the first time I'm wondering. Standing on a ladder with
a high-pressure hose in your hand, manually removing compacted Douglas-fir
needles with your sopping wet-gloved hand. Just waiting to jam your fingers
in that one spot where the wasps decided to over-winter. I was lucky enough
to not strike wasp when pulling that muck out of there, but when I swung
around the front of the house to clean them I was swarmed by wasps and
wisely decided to come back another day. Maybe after the first hard frost.

I finally discovered why my drain system wasn't working, and also discovered
why that big tall strong Douglas in my backyard isn't such a wonderful thing
afterall. Those things shed needles like MAD.

Uggghhh, maintaining the gutters before the Seattle rains come is probably
the only important thing I need to do this year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

They make an attachment for the shop vac. That way you can stand on
the ground (away from the wasp) and either vacuum or bow the needles
out. It works best if they are dry and you don't let them get to bad...
but it would keep you a good distance from them..

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote in
message oups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

Damnit, I didn't even think of using my Shop-vac. It sure beats getting all
the pine needles soaking wet trying to pressure wash them out.

Well I still have to do the front gutters, so maybe I'll go for it.

Honestly I was strongly considering replacing the gutters. I still have
those old 1960's rain gutters that aren't nearly large enough to catch the
runoff from the roof and the downspout it all of 2 inches in diameter. Man
when you live in Seattle you need SERIOUS rain gutters.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
" wrote in
message oups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
[...]

I still have mine to do. They will, as usual be near full with
dirt/leaves. I use a putty knife and flip them over the side, no
sopping wet mess to deal with that way (other than what is already
there). Of course it does require moving the ladder several times per
gutter.

Harry K

Posted to alt.home.repair

Observations inline...

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..
More of an observation, or series of rhetorical questions.
But is there any worse task than cleaning gutters? I used to think so,
but

Yes. Rodding your sewer line or cleaning out your grease trap come to mind.

after doing it for the first time I'm wondering. Standing on a ladder
with a high-pressure hose in your hand, manually removing compacted
Douglas-fir needles with your sopping wet-gloved hand. Just waiting to
jam your fingers

Most hardware stores sell a "scoop" for cleaning gutters. Through the crap
on the ground or carry a bag to put it in. No biggie.

in that one spot where the wasps decided to over-winter. I was lucky
enough to not strike wasp when pulling that muck out of there, but when I
swung around the front of the house to clean them I was swarmed by wasps
and

Something to be said for doing this work on a cool day.

wisely decided to come back another day. Maybe after the first hard
frost.

I finally discovered why my drain system wasn't working, and also
discovered why that big tall strong Douglas in my backyard isn't such a
wonderful thing afterall. Those things shed needles like MAD.

Uggghhh, maintaining the gutters before the Seattle rains come is probably
the only important thing I need to do this year.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Get gutter helmet, ends cleaning gutters forever!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

Honestly I was strongly considering replacing the gutters. I still have
those old 1960's rain gutters that aren't nearly large enough to catch the
runoff from the roof and the downspout it all of 2 inches in diameter. Man
when you live in Seattle you need SERIOUS rain gutters.

2" diameter downspouts are fine, especially in Seattle. While the
Pacific NW is known for rain, it is long-duration, low-intensity rain.
The intensity is the least of any other place in the U.S. No
hurricanes. I think round downspouts look nicer and make it easy to
bridge compound angles with one run.

That said, it wouldn't hurt to put those bulbous wire strainers at the
tops of your downspouts. I like to walk around my roof a few days
after every heavy rain spell, and about once a month during the wet
season, and clean out my gutters. It's pretty easy. Then again, my
roof isn't super steep.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

I had gutter helmets and they were worthless. Depends on slope of roof.
Leafguard gutters with builtin helmets work well though.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Get gutter helmet, ends cleaning gutters forever!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Hmmm,
If you did it every season, it'd have been easy task.

Posted to alt.home.repair

If you did it every season, it'd have been easy task.

I have a friend who I have cleaned there gutters 3 times in about a
year.

lots of trees and acorns, frequent cleaning really doesnt make it
easier in all cases

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:
More of an observation, or series of rhetorical questions.
But is there any worse task than cleaning gutters? I used to think so, but
after doing it for the first time I'm wondering.

I can think of one... ever clean a septic tank?

No, I haven't either -- but every time I watch (and smell) one being pumped,
I'm glad that I'm the guy with the pen and checkbook, not the guy with the
truck and hose.

Standing on a ladder with
a high-pressure hose in your hand, manually removing compacted Douglas-fir
needles with your sopping wet-gloved hand.

Gutter screens...

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , "Eigenvector" wrote:

Damnit, I didn't even think of using my Shop-vac. It sure beats getting all
the pine needles soaking wet trying to pressure wash them out.

You mean they weren't wet already, and you got them that way??

If they're dry to start with, just go up on the roof with a leaf blower.
Gutters will be clear in moments.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article . com, " wrote:

If you did it every season, it'd have been easy task.

I have a friend who I have cleaned there gutters 3 times in about a
year.

lots of trees and acorns, frequent cleaning really doesnt make it
easier in all cases

Oh, yes, it does. Just imagine what your friend's gutters would have looked
like if he had *not* cleaned them 3 times in a year!

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

Gutter screens...

--
Regards,

sadly arent effective the little stuff gets thru, and consolidates well
under the screen ,making it even harder to remove

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
" wrote:

Gutter screens...

--
Regards,

sadly arent effective the little stuff gets thru, and consolidates well
under the screen ,making it even harder to remove

The concerns I have had with most of these (especially things like
Gutter Helmet) is that it would seem to prime areas for the development
of ice dams.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Tony Hwang" wrote in message
Eigenvector wrote:

[...]

Well considering I've only owned the house since March you can't fault me
there can you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt Ullman wrote:
In article .com,
" wrote:

Gutter screens...

--
Regards,

sadly arent effective the little stuff gets thru, and consolidates well
under the screen ,making it even harder to remove

The concerns I have had with most of these (especially things like
Gutter Helmet) is that it would seem to prime areas for the development
of ice dams.

ice dams slide off since theres no edge for them to catch on, have
friend who had ice dam trouble gutter helmet ended the problem

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Eigenvector"
wrote:

Damnit, I didn't even think of using my Shop-vac. It sure beats getting
all
the pine needles soaking wet trying to pressure wash them out.

You mean they weren't wet already, and you got them that way??

If they're dry to start with, just go up on the roof with a leaf blower.
Gutters will be clear in moments.

Eh, the top part was dry, the lower levels were decomposing - so damp maybe?

I'll try the shopvac trick. The person who put the new roof on has it
hanging half-way over the actual gutters, so there isn't much space to fit
anything in - although a shop vack angle attachment would get in there.

BTW: It rained last night and what do you know - actual water flowed down
my gutter drains? Whoever said that Seattle only has gentle rains needs to
live here in November, December, January, February, ......

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I have small (3x4) cedar gutters - I just replaced the old ones. When I had
the
roof re-done, I specified that the roofing MUST allow for easy cleaning
of the gutters. The old roof overlapped so there was barely room to
get a finger in some places. They made special drip edges which leave
the gutter fully open. I made a air blast nozzle with a 10 foot length of
copper pipe, a ball valve, and 2 threaded PVC "L"s to point the
nozzle any direction. I just walk under the gutter sliding the nozzle
along it to blast everything out. The advantage here is the wood gutters
which have no spikes or other obstructions to block the nozzle or
catch pine needles. I do need to treat them with shake oil every few
years.

They do make special extenders for leaf blowers for blowing out gutters.

The rain here in Seattle is usually so light that 2" downspouts are plenty
except for maybe 2 or 3 storms a year. Then they overflow a little in
a couple spaces - no problem. It almost nevers rains here like the spring
rains back east.

You do need to keep the debris from washing down the downspouts if
it goes into a drain field.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com, " wrote:
Gutter screens...

sadly arent effective the little stuff gets thru, and consolidates well
under the screen ,making it even harder to remove

If that's a problem, you get the type with a fine mesh (similar to window
screen) that doesn't let the little stuff get through. No big deal.

I have well over 200' of gutter on my house. I use the guards with fine mesh
in the areas that are under the pine tree, and under the silver maple. They do
a fine job of keeping pine needles and maple seeds out of the gutters. On the
rest of the house, standard guards do a fine job of keeping leaves out.

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair

" wrote:

Get gutter helmet, ends cleaning gutters forever!

No Gutter Helmet ends easy cleaning of your gutters forever! In my
experience, all of the little things, maple seeds, pine needles, and
eventually leaf pieces get under there and make a mess. And now you
can't just easily scoop them out. Plus the larger pieces build up on
top when wet and wick the heavy water flow up and over the gutters onto
the ground. But at least they charge a lot of money for the privilege.
That's strictly my opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I use a pair of Ecko-brand kitchen tongs, which are small enough to fit
through the fairly small gap between the roof overhang and the gutters, yet
capable of grabbing whole gobs of leaves and debris -- plus it keeps my
hands from getting into fireant nests that sometimes start in the gutters.

Using the tongs and then rinsing down the gutters with a garden hose keeps
my gutters in decent shape, despite the huge amount of debris I accumulate
(one gutter is about 100' long, and landscape is lined with bald cypress and
bamboo, both of which are real litter machines.)

[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

Eigenvector wrote:
..

BTW: It rained last night and what do you know - actual water flowed down
my gutter drains? Whoever said that Seattle only has gentle rains needs to
live here in November, December, January, February, ......

Ah-hem. I do. You need to live in other parts of the country.

Here's a rainfall intensity map (Google the term for other examples):

http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...q0322art02.jpg

As you can see, we get off easy in terms of rain intensity, but the
months of grayness does suck.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Why do we need gutters anyway? My house in Florida was built without
them.
I've never really missed then either.

And my home in Pa has gutters but they are up high so I guess if I want
to keep 'em I have to do the leaf blower extender thing...

CP

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...

Eigenvector wrote:
.

BTW: It rained last night and what do you know - actual water flowed
down
my gutter drains? Whoever said that Seattle only has gentle rains needs
live here in November, December, January, February, ......

Ah-hem. I do. You need to live in other parts of the country.

Here's a rainfall intensity map (Google the term for other examples):

http://extension.missouri.edu/explor...q0322art02.jpg

As you can see, we get off easy in terms of rain intensity, but the
months of grayness does suck.

Yeah I probably shouldn't argue, I've always felt Seattle's reputation for
rain is largely undeserved, but when the winds come in November it sure
feels like a monsoon. Heck, today my area started out with a drizzle, then
turned to rain, then to snow, then sleet, the clear skies.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Charles Pisano wrote:
Why do we need gutters anyway? My house in Florida was built without
them.
I've never really missed then either.

And my home in Pa has gutters but they are up high so I guess if I want
to keep 'em I have to do the leaf blower extender thing...

CP

the gutters keep rain water from coming off roof hitting ground
splashing on home and worse over time eroding the ground around your
foundation/

the work around is a gravel bed and drain system around the permiter of
your foundation.

so water hits absorbs cant erode and drains away thru a buried in
gravel pipe