Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cost of New Gutters

Hi folks,

Just wondering what people are paying for replacement gutters these
days. My roof was redone about 3 years ago, but recently I have had a
bad rust-thru failure on one of the sections due to some clogging. I
probably should have had them doen when the roof was done of course.
The gutters now are 7" steel. Lineal feet is ~210 with about 8 down
spots totalling maybe 70ft. Most of the pieces are straight runs, with
maybe 5 miters. I have a 2 storey house with shake roof.

I just got a quote for $2200 for the same style powder-coated steel
gutter replacement which seems excessive to me. The new downspouts
would be 2x3's. The contractor that came by to bid had a very
expensive looking truck. I can get the exact same gutter from
another seamless contractor dropped at my location for $2.50 per ft,
but of course the downspouts, hangers, caps, miter pieces etc are
extra. Still I figure that the materials total should not exceed $900.
I figure this job including labor should not be more than $1500? Can
anyone in the north-west give some comparables quotes? I'm getting
more bids, but I'm still curious.

thanks

dave m

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just had seamless gutters installed on a new home. About 180 lin. feet of
gutter and four 4x3 downspouts cost me around a thousand bucks.
Your quote seems reasonable to me, considering you have 5 miters and 8
downspouts. Plus they have the extra labor of removing your old ones first.
Quit being so cheap. Seamless gutters are not a DIY project.

"davemac" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
ESM ESM is offline

I'm in Central Florida. I called 6 places and was quoted on 6" gutters in
white with downspouts, which I believe where 4x3.

I was quoted on 230 ft (165 gutter, 65 down spout) on a single story home.
Cheapest price was $665, and the highest price was $1270 (from Home Depot).
Most places came in at $3.25 to 3.50/linear foot.

These prices were installed, with all pieces. The guy at $665 actually did
custom corners too. I think he's basically coming in and undercutting
everyone else to do more volume. Afterall, Less profit per job with greater
volume can still be greater profit. He also provided 10 year warranty like
most everyone else did. So he's not using garbage aluminum.

"davemac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
ESM ESM is offline

Oh yes, I forgot to add. I have NO existing gutters. So there is no labor
to remove.

However, none of the places I called ask if I already had gutters, so I
don't think any of them charge extra for removal.

Gutters are a pretty big business in FL, given how much rain we get. In the
major city area I am in, I found a few dozen places doing gutters, so this
means prices will be cheaper in general.

You may want to have Home Depot do a free quote. That should be the MOST
you'd ever pay and you can use it as a price guage as well. You can figure
about 25%, and maybe up to 30% off the Home Depot price is what you should
pay. That's what I've been seeing based on the few HD quotes I've gotten
relative to local companies.

.. .

"davemac" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.A. Michel wrote:
I just had seamless gutters installed on a new home. About 180 lin. feet of
gutter and four 4x3 downspouts cost me around a thousand bucks.
Your quote seems reasonable to me, considering you have 5 miters and 8
downspouts. Plus they have the extra labor of removing your old ones first.
Quit being so cheap. Seamless gutters are not a DIY project.

Seamless gutters are a fairly easy DIY project. All you need is a
couple of ladders, a pair of snips, a drill and a caulk gun. You just
go to the local roofing or siding place give them the lengths and they
drop them in your yard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"ESM" wrote

He also provided 10 year warranty like
most everyone else did. So he's not using garbage aluminum.

Mine quoted me using aluminum. Is Steel better?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

J.A. Michel wrote:
I just had seamless gutters installed on a new home. About 180 lin. feet of
gutter and four 4x3 downspouts cost me around a thousand bucks.
Your quote seems reasonable to me, considering you have 5 miters and 8
downspouts. Plus they have the extra labor of removing your old ones first.
Quit being so cheap. Seamless gutters are not a DIY project.

Well actually seamless CAN be DIY, but you need to wonder if it's
really worth it especially with a 2 story house, even for people who
can easily do it like myself. There's really only 2 runs on the house
which are a bit of a challenge. The rest are no brainers. Sorry, I
can't help being so cheap. It's my nature!

thanks for the comments so far. It seems the local markets vary quite
a bit. Here in CA, I think we always pay a premium for some reason.

dave mc

Posted to alt.home.repair

"davemac" wrote in message
Here in CA, I think we always pay a premium for some reason.

The price you pay for all the crazy laws you guys have.

Posted to alt.home.repair
ESM ESM is offline

That comment was a little misleading. He's using aluminum gutters, but
since he's offering a 10 year warranty, he's not using low quality
aluminium.

I've never heard of steel gutters in seamless. that would require a heck of
a forming press.
"Steve B" wrote in message

"ESM" wrote

He also provided 10 year warranty like
most everyone else did. So he's not using garbage aluminum.

Mine quoted me using aluminum. Is Steel better?

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair

True seamless gutters are not DIY unless you have the rolling machine to
make them with ;-)
That's what I meant by that.

You can DIY, but you have to work with 10ft sections. I've done before
Dave, and trust me, it's a PITA.
You have to get the slope right, and caulk the pieces together, all while on
a ladder 2 stories off the ground. (in your case)
If you do manage to get it done and not fall off the ladder and kill
yourself, some of those seams will leak. (they always do)

In the end, it's not worth spending 3 days out on the ladder dicking with
it, risking life and limb. I'm an avid DIY'er but some things are really
better to have hired done - like brain surgery or seamless gutters. ;-)

"davemac" wrote in message
ps.com...