Posted to alt.home.repair
J.A. Michel J.A. Michel is offline

Default Cost of New Gutters

True seamless gutters are not DIY unless you have the rolling machine to
make them with ;-)
That's what I meant by that.

You can DIY, but you have to work with 10ft sections. I've done before
Dave, and trust me, it's a PITA.
You have to get the slope right, and caulk the pieces together, all while on
a ladder 2 stories off the ground. (in your case)
If you do manage to get it done and not fall off the ladder and kill
yourself, some of those seams will leak. (they always do)

In the end, it's not worth spending 3 days out on the ladder dicking with
it, risking life and limb. I'm an avid DIY'er but some things are really
better to have hired done - like brain surgery or seamless gutters. ;-)

"davemac" wrote in message
ps.com...

J.A. Michel wrote:
I just had seamless gutters installed on a new home. About 180 lin. feet
of
gutter and four 4x3 downspouts cost me around a thousand bucks.
Your quote seems reasonable to me, considering you have 5 miters and 8
downspouts. Plus they have the extra labor of removing your old ones
first.
Quit being so cheap. Seamless gutters are not a DIY project.

Well actually seamless CAN be DIY, but you need to wonder if it's
really worth it especially with a 2 story house, even for people who
can easily do it like myself. There's really only 2 runs on the house
which are a bit of a challenge. The rest are no brainers. Sorry, I
can't help being so cheap. It's my nature!

thanks for the comments so far. It seems the local markets vary quite
a bit. Here in CA, I think we always pay a premium for some reason.

dave mc