Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default EER in energy cost, and sundry topics

Awl--

The Mitsubishi site (I think) showed a calculation the actual cost of
operation of an A/C. I think it was incorrect (wrong units'n'****), but no
matter. The important feature was that the EER is right thar in the
denominator.

So, all else the same, it appears that the *relative* cost of two A/C's is
just the ratio of their EERs.
A perty neat result, if this is indeed correck.

As I think I mentioned elswwhere, the new minimum SEER (presumably directly
related to the EER) is 13. You can get 10 EER units perty cheap.
But I've seen EERs (SEERs) of 19, 20, and 21, in Friedrich and Fujitsu
units, some of which use "inverter compressors", which I think is basically
VFD in a compressor. This allows a unit to basically "stage itself" ito of
load by varying the speed of the compressor.
IOW, a 24,000 btu unit could, in principle, act like a 12,000, instead of a
24 just cycling on/off more often.

So a unit w/ a 20 eer would cost 1/2 as much as a 10 eer to operate.
Or so I think.
But the initial cost is of course dramatically higher, mebbe by a factor of
4.

Also, a new fancy-schmancy refrigerant is coming out this summer.

Also, Mitsubishi has a *multi-split* unit, which is multiply-located inside
cooling coils off of *one* outside compressor/condensor, for really nice
zoning. eer=14-15. Makes a lot of sense, esp. if the compressor is
variable speed.
The dealer is coming over to my ever-expanding (but eternally in the red)
shop. Might as well be multiply zoned-cool, iffin yer gonna be broke
ferever...

One would think you could do this manually--just add goddamm coils/fans in
different rooms, w/ dey own thermostat on the fan.
But then, you cain't even change the goddamm *idle* on yer g-d car inymore,
unless you do sumpn to a chip someplace.... goodgawd.... the PV'g
continues....

I'da posted this on alt.hvac, but, well, you know....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll