Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wallpapering: external corners and window reveals how?

Hello,

I am about to wallpaper a room. I've papered rectangular rooms with
four walls before and done all right but this time I have got to
tackle an external corner. What's the correct way to do this?

If I take the roll and wrap it around the corner, if the wall isn't
completely true then won't the roll then be at an angle?

If I tackle it as I would an internal corner and take the roll around
the corner just a centimetre or so and then paper over the overlap,
wouldn't this leave an ugly join on display?

Which brings me to my second question: what is the correct way to do
window reveals? In a way these are small scale external corners. I
usually try to fold the roll around the corner and into the reveal but
you can only fold it one way: either into the side of the window or
into the top. Whichever one is left has a visible join.

When (or if) you fit curtains I suppose this would hide a vertical
join, so is it best to fold into the top of the reveal and have the
join along the side?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

I tend to do it tight, if it splits, lift the split section and slide
another bit underneath.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Aug, 15:37, Fred wrote:
[...]

My house has a lot of probably original papering, or from the days
when apprentices learned the skills. They way they did corners,
reveals, etc is genius. I have a bit where most of an external corner
is rounded off but goes to a sharp corner at the skirting and picture
rails. You really cannot see any joins at all - it looks like a
continuous film of paper. They somehow even matched the pattern.
I believe the methods involved stretching the paper (!), cutting
pieces in and tearing the paper to almost feather the join.

Anyway, on external corners lap around about an inch. Then either
overlap so it doesn't cast a shadow, or overlap and then run a very
sharp knife / scalpel through both layers and remove the detached
pieces to create a seamless join (you have to lift one side).
Also key is soaking the paper for the right length of time so the
paper does not shrink as it dries and pull the joins apart.
I'm not sure if I could reproduce the papering to the same standard in
my house if I wanted to.

Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 15:37:47 +0100, Fred wrote:

If I take the roll and wrap it around the corner, if the wall isn't
completely true then won't the roll then be at an angle?

Yes, so:

If I tackle it as I would an internal corner and take the roll around
the corner just a centimetre or so and then paper over the overlap,
wouldn't this leave an ugly join on display?

This is what you do, and pattern match as best you can depending on
how un-true the corners is. You may well need another full drop of
paper so think about the amount you need... It might be possible to
use an off cut from another corner but I wouldn't bank on it.

Which brings me to my second question: what is the correct way to do
window reveals?

Fold in the sides full length. If the reveal is deep or the spacing
such that the folded bit doesn't reach the frame fold it round just a
couple of cm, then pattern match a piece to cover the reveal as
required but place this under the folded part. If you put the reveal
piece on top of the folded the thickness of the paper causes a shadow
with the light from the window an makes the join very visible. Across
the top of the reveal fold in the drop but as you have folded the
sides in full length there will be a bit missing. Pattern match a
piece but this time the join is along the corner so this bit need to
go onto the wall face a couple of cm and also down the reveal at the
side a cm or two. Note that cut you make to fold in the drop to the
vertical reveal will be on show, it needs to be neat and along the
top corner of the reveal.

http://www.bozzle.com/ph_window.html

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 20:56:58 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[about external corners]
This is what you do, and pattern match as best you can depending on
how un-true the corners is.

Thank you. This is what I did. I was using a vinyl paper so there
wasn't a pattern to match as such, which must have made things
slightly easier.

I did read a few web sites and one suggested cutting the overlap
slightly back from the corner. I wonder whether this makes the
join/overlap less visible?

[about windows]
Fold in the sides full length. If the reveal is deep or the spacing
such that the folded bit doesn't reach the frame fold it round just a
couple of cm, then pattern match a piece to cover the reveal as
required but place this under the folded part. If you put the reveal
piece on top of the folded the thickness of the paper causes a shadow
with the light from the window an makes the join very visible. Across
the top of the reveal fold in the drop but as you have folded the
sides in full length there will be a bit missing.

By luck, this is what I have always done. Good to know I was doing it
right!

Thanks everyone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Fred" wrote in message
[...]

go past corner by about 2 ", then with a plumb line mark a true vertical
about an 1" out from corner at narrowest part ... trim to that, then start
next straight edge of roll against this 'new' true edge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

go past corner by about 2 ", then with a plumb line mark a true vertical
about an 1" out from corner at narrowest part ... trim to that

There's the rub. Cutting an 8 foot clean, straight line in wet paper has
always been beyond me

, then
start next straight edge of roll against this 'new' true edge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"stuart noble" wrote in message

go past corner by about 2 ", then with a plumb line mark a true vertical
about an 1" out from corner at narrowest part ... trim to that

There's the rub. Cutting an 8 foot clean, straight line in wet paper has
always been beyond me

, then
start next straight edge of roll against this 'new' true edge.

My Father did his trade as a painter & decorator ... watched him do this
many times ... draw line using Plumb line is key to ensure vertical .. as
corners usually taper.
He would then fold paper on that line to give him a clear mark and then
pulling paper a little away from wall cut form bottom to top with a pair of
wallpaper scissors ... these have long blades and help keep edge straight.
A good paperhanging brush allows slight stretching of paper to cover minor
imperfections.

The alternative is as before go at least 3"" past corner, then start new
roll with an overlap ... matching any pattern repeat, and then run a Kraft
knife through both layers, peel off layers and it's a perfect fit .... that
is method I have used when I did wall papering. (not often)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rick Hughes" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, that's the way I do it. There is no point in starting a drop at a
corner: start *both* walls *from the middle* so you always have a decent
width of roll to cut when you get to the corners. It's nice if it works out
to half a width ish, then one half is more likely to hold still while you
cut it into the corner. On the external corner take as much of the drop on
one wall round the corner as you like. Then paste the last piece of the
second wall over the top and roughly trim at the corner so that you can see
what you are doing. Let the paste dry a little so that everything is held
in place and not too soggy, then use the longest metal straight edge you can
find and cut all the way down through both sheets, with a scalpel an inch or
two back from the corner (or at the point where patterns best match). Then
tease back the top sheet and peel off the overlap from underneath. You may
need a little more paste to make good the join when you fold the top sheet
back and brush it to match. Don't forget to wipe off excess paste before it
dries or it will look shiny and may go brown. Make the join on the wall
that is least seen or brushed against.

If you are painting the paper - as I usually do - a little gap does not
notice much, but an overlap sticks out like a sore thumb, so it is well
worth taking the trouble to cut the sheets together to get a flat join.
Obviously with a pattern you will have to choose the point where you cut
carefully to get a match if possible.

Wallpapering into a Bay window? Steven Campbell UK diy 9 November 4th 06 08:09 AM
Window reveals 51 UK diy 4 October 12th 06 05:45 AM
Architraves ( ? ) round window reveals Stuart UK diy 8 March 8th 06 06:38 PM
Plastering over old plaster with external corners dp UK diy 8 November 1st 05 11:22 PM
Wallpapering external walls? James W UK diy 2 January 29th 04 02:09 AM