dp

Default Plastering over old plaster with external corners

I am planning on skimming over some old plaster. The area is a pillar
which jutts out from the wall and has some "external" corners with
corner beading on. The plaster at the corners is ok but I intend to
cover the whole area with new plaster. Will it be ok to skim or should
I either put on some more corner beading or chisel out to the old
beading and use that?

Thanks for any advice.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

dp wrote:
I am planning on skimming over some old plaster. The area is a pillar
which jutts out from the wall and has some "external" corners with
corner beading on. The plaster at the corners is ok but I intend to
cover the whole area with new plaster. Will it be ok to skim or should
I either put on some more corner beading or chisel out to the old
beading and use that?

Thanks for any advice.

This pillar sounds like it is a box section with electric wiring behind it?
Don't really know the situation but i had a box section jutting out one
corner of an alcove and really look awful, so I got plaster board and
brought it level with the box section and then skimmed over it giving the
alcove wall a flat appearence.
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Rob Morley

In article , davidlobsterpot601
@hotmail.com says...
snip
But if I understand you right, that's going to end up with new corners
which have no beading at all (well, buried beneath a layer of skim
actually at the corner) so will be very weak and prone to knocks.

I don't think it would be /very/ weak, but it certainly wouldn't be as
robust as corner bead. Are these corners actually exposed to much wear?

Not sure what the answer is TBH. How about attaching more beading over
the old, providing it wouldn't mean the new skim layer would have to be
exessively thick?

You could cut out the old beading and fit new, so the skim depth was
right for the rest of the wall.

dp

the corners are in the hallway so they might take the odd knock. I
think I'll just try and keep the skim very thin.

The3rd Earl Of Derby

dp wrote:
the corners are in the hallway so they might take the odd knock. I
think I'll just try and keep the skim very thin.

False economy that, skimming a very thin plaster coat where it takes a
knock.

dp wrote:
I am planning on skimming over some old plaster. The area is a pillar
which jutts out from the wall and has some "external" corners with
corner beading on. The plaster at the corners is ok but I intend to
cover the whole area with new plaster. Will it be ok to skim or should
I either put on some more corner beading or chisel out to the old
beading and use that?

It's much easier to plaster when using beading, so unless you are
already a good plasterer and compitent to do corners without beading,
I would suggest you attach plasterboard beading strips to the corners.
I do this just by running a line of plaster down the back of the
beading strip and pushing it onto the corner. It might not be easy to
nail on through the existing corner beading without making a mess of
the surface.

--
Andrew Gabriel

bilbo*baggins

I've had quite a lot of corners to redo, recently. Expamet corner and
stop beading was the choice, and I secured this successfully by means
of a cartridge glue product called 'Sticks Like Sh*t', and use of
parcel tape strips to hold beading in place for the ~hour this glue
needs to 'go off'.

plaster and ceramic tile problem - please help Doobielicious Home Repair 2 April 26th 05 04:12 AM
Plastering on plaster Broadback UK diy 1 November 12th 04 08:21 PM
video on plastering TXXT123 UK diy 9 September 2nd 04 11:21 PM
plastering Jon W UK diy 12 March 8th 04 11:13 PM
How can I fix cracks in plaster of old house? Phil Munro Home Repair 5 October 18th 03 10:48 AM