Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wallpapering into a Bay window?

Looking for some tips for papering a bay window.

I'll obviously use more paper going round the bay than I will papering above
it on the flat wall.
How do I then make the paper meet up as I am working my way out the window?

Thanks for any ideas.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
Looking for some tips for papering a bay window.

I'll obviously use more paper going round the bay than I will
papering above it on the flat wall.
How do I then make the paper meet up as I am working my way out the
window?

You don't, what you do is put a full length on one side of the bay window
and take it into the bay slightly.
You carry the pattern through the bay and continue through to the other
side, the mismatch is only above the bay and this is only usually a short
piece....depending on the pattern, it's usually possible to overlap two
pieces and slice through them both with a new blade, then remove the bottom
piece and butt join them to hide the 'mismatch'...often it's invisible

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
Looking for some tips for papering a bay window.

I'll obviously use more paper going round the bay than I will papering above
it on the flat wall.
How do I then make the paper meet up as I am working my way out the window?

The experts tell me that it is quite acceptable to start the pattern
again on each corner.
I was told this after the first room that I wallpapered just happened
to be an exact multiple of the pattern. The expert was mystified
because he couldn't see a pattern mismatch in my room.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Phil L" wrote in message
.uk...
Steven Campbell wrote:
Looking for some tips for papering a bay window.

I'll obviously use more paper going round the bay than I will
papering above it on the flat wall.
How do I then make the paper meet up as I am working my way out the
window?

You don't, what you do is put a full length on one side of the bay window
and take it into the bay slightly.
You carry the pattern through the bay and continue through to the other
side, the mismatch is only above the bay and this is only usually a short
piece....depending on the pattern, it's usually possible to overlap two
pieces and slice through them both with a new blade, then remove the
bottom piece and butt join them to hide the 'mismatch'...often it's
invisible

Thanks both for the info.
I roughly marked the wall so I would know where the paper would come out of
the bay.
I couldn't quite understand how I was a good few inches out until I checked
a dry bit of paper against a piece that was already hung.
Looks like the hung paper expands by at least half an inch!!
I'd never have believed that.

Steven.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:

Thanks both for the info.
I roughly marked the wall so I would know where the paper would come out of
the bay.
I couldn't quite understand how I was a good few inches out until I checked
a dry bit of paper against a piece that was already hung.
Looks like the hung paper expands by at least half an inch!!
I'd never have believed that.

I have just put up some paper that was an absolute pig to match up. Like
you, I had gone around the room looking for the pattern falling in
windows and corners.

Does anyone know the amount that various qualities of paper expand, when
they are pasted?

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:

Thanks both for the info.
I roughly marked the wall so I would know where the paper would come
out of the bay.
I couldn't quite understand how I was a good few inches out until I
checked a dry bit of paper against a piece that was already hung.
Looks like the hung paper expands by at least half an inch!!
I'd never have believed that.

I have just put up some paper that was an absolute pig to match up.
Like you, I had gone around the room looking for the pattern falling
in windows and corners.

Does anyone know the amount that various qualities of paper expand,
when they are pasted?

Dave

No, because different textures and thicknesses of paper will cause different
soaking times and also different 'stretch', as will different pasting
styles, IE if you are economic with it or are very liberal, this too will
effect stretch.

BUT!

None of this makes any difference at all provided you are consistent, that
is to say, if you apply the same amount of paste to each length, and leave
each length to soak for the same time, they'll all be the same, and don't
guess, use a watch or clock!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:

[...]

20 pieces times 20 minutes soaking would make it a very long job
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:

[...]

Not if you do it properly...that is to paste the first length, leave to soak
for the appropriate time, say 15 mins, then time how long it takes to hang,
say 5 minutes.

So you paste three or four then hang the first, paste another one, hang the
second and so on...if people know how to fold wallpaper once it's pasted,
there's no need to leave each piece flat out on the bench to soak

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:

Phil L wrote:

Dave wrote:

Steven Campbell wrote:

[...]

That's just the way I do it. But I was interested in how various papers
react after pasting and soaking. It looks like there are too many
variables to come up with an answer.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phil L wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:

[...]

So inevitably some pieces soak longer than others. Some take 2 minutes
to hang and some 15. I don't see how you can be so precise about it. All
you can do is set a minimum soaking time