Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil L Phil L is offline

Default Wallpapering into a Bay window?

Stuart Noble wrote:
Phil L wrote:
Dave wrote:
Steven Campbell wrote:

Thanks both for the info.
I roughly marked the wall so I would know where the paper would
come out of the bay.
I couldn't quite understand how I was a good few inches out until I
checked a dry bit of paper against a piece that was already hung.
Looks like the hung paper expands by at least half an inch!!
I'd never have believed that.
I have just put up some paper that was an absolute pig to match up.
Like you, I had gone around the room looking for the pattern falling
in windows and corners.

Does anyone know the amount that various qualities of paper expand,
when they are pasted?

Dave

No, because different textures and thicknesses of paper will cause
different soaking times and also different 'stretch', as will
different pasting styles, IE if you are economic with it or are very
liberal, this too will effect stretch.

BUT!

None of this makes any difference at all provided you are
consistent, that is to say, if you apply the same amount of paste to
each length, and leave each length to soak for the same time,
they'll all be the same, and don't guess, use a watch or clock!!

20 pieces times 20 minutes soaking would make it a very long job

Not if you do it properly...that is to paste the first length, leave to soak
for the appropriate time, say 15 mins, then time how long it takes to hang,
say 5 minutes.

So you paste three or four then hang the first, paste another one, hang the
second and so on...if people know how to fold wallpaper once it's pasted,
there's no need to leave each piece flat out on the bench to soak