Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wheelie bins

geoff wrote:
In message wwf7o.113032$Ds3.29477@hurricane, ARWadsworth
writes
Dave wrote:
On 06/08/2010 23:41, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
On 06/08/2010 22:55, dennis@home wrote:

So how many bags does it take to hold the 240l in a wheelie bin's
contents? 10?

What's a 2401?

Dave

240 litres, the size of a standard wheelie bin.

Thanks, I would have understood it if the poster had used an l
instead of a 1.

Dave

erm, he did use a l not a 1
eg
240l uses the l (L)
2401 uses the 1 (one)

For the first time ever I believe that Dennis was correct:-)

Monkeys and Shakespeare ?

Dennis will say that the spell check helped him out.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ZoU6o.33815$MQ3.11964@hurricane,
"John" writes:
"Dave" wrote in message
It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the bin
bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

but that required manual handling with the risk of repetitive strain
injuries.

It wasn't RSI - it was cuts from sharp objects, broken glass,
etc. poking through the bags. Also clearing up burst bags in
the middle of the road.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" writes:
"Dave" wrote in message
It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the bin
bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

but that required manual handling with the risk of repetitive strain
injuries.

It wasn't RSI - it was cuts from sharp objects, broken glass,
etc. poking through the bags. Also clearing up burst bags in
the middle of the road.

Agreed,. That is a job best left to councillors. Bin men are too
educated for it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 3:09 am, chris French
wrote:
In message
,
Matty F writes

Now I suppose people will ask silly questions about why I video the
rubbish truck!

Well, know you mention it , I did wonder :-)

I have 8 video cameras, mainly to catch people tagging the neighbours'
fences. They gave me the cameras. I also catch burglars and copper
thieves. There are two signs saying 24 hour video recording but they
think it's not true. But it is true.
I've also captured half a dozen car accidents and given photos and
videos to the blameless drivers, for which they are very grateful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 8, 4:03 am, Dave wrote:
On 07/08/2010 05:47, Matty F wrote:

On Aug 7, 1:43 am, wrote:
I was idly watching the refuse collection this morning and one thing
that struck me was the amount of time it takes to empty just one of
them. Take the bin to the back of the wagon, hook it up and press the
button for the rise, wait for it to empty and then want for it to be
dropped off again, then return the bin to the edge of the property.

It was a far quicker process when everyone used bin bags. OK I know they
were subject to animals ripping them open, but most of that risk could
have been taken away by the use of an open top plastic box to drop the
bin bag in. One for each bag that was regularly put out for collection.

It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.
See pictures of the process here, taken last Friday:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2dt6bzk.jpg

The truck arrives, and 2 seconds later the bin is on its way up.
After 6 seconds the bin is on its way down again.
After 8 seconds the truck has moved off.
The same guy and truck empties the recycling bin which is twice the
size. He has a video camera that looks in the bin before it's emptied.
We now don't have problems with animals ripping open the bags and I
don't have to pay for bags.

Now I suppose people will ask silly questions about why I video the
rubbish truck!

OK stupid question time here.

Why would they want to video the contents?

There are items that are not permitted in the rubbish bin, like oil
and concrete.
In the recycling bin there are more restrictions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.
See pictures of the process here, taken last Friday:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2dt6bzk.jpg

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of. How precisely does the bin have to be positioned on the
pavement for the machine to collect it? What happens if it's facing
the "wrong" way?

We have wheelie bin for garden waste it must take them twice as long
to empty that compared to the bagged domestic waste.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of.

Would be a bit futile with the number of parked cars in a lot of places,
I suspect. If I happen to be at home when either the road or path
sweeper are doing the rounds they have to drive past huge stretches due
to people parked halfway on the road/path.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:13:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of.

Would be a bit futile with the number of parked cars in a lot of places,
I suspect. If I happen to be at home when either the road or path
sweeper are doing the rounds they have to drive past huge stretches due
to people parked halfway on the road/path.

In the nearby town here, they alternate which side of the road you're
allowed to park on during business hours - just so they can guarantee
that a particular side will be clear* on a given day for sweeping /
refuse collection / snow clearing etc.

* almost, anyway - there are always one or two folk who forget, but I
think the fine each time is around $30.

Council refuse collection's an optional extra over here - and I don't
think they come out as far as where we live anyway, although there are a
couple of private companies that do. We just haul our own to the dump as
needed (and recyclables go to a collection point at a local petrol
station, and garden waste goes to either the compost heap or into the
woods)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 10, 2:53 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.
See pictures of the process here, taken last Friday:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2dt6bzk.jpg

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of. How precisely does the bin have to be positioned on the
pavement for the machine to collect it? What happens if it's facing
the "wrong" way?

It doesn't matter which way around the bin is or where it is.
The top of the bin has an overhang so that the bottom of the bins
don't touch, leaving clarance for the grab arms. There is a problem
with parked cars, but I think they know the best times to pick up the
rubbish when most cars have gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.
See pictures of the process here, taken last Friday:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2dt6bzk.jpg

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of. How precisely does the bin have to be positioned on the
pavement for the machine to collect it? What happens if it's facing
the "wrong" way?

It doesn't matter which way around the bin is or where it is.
The top of the bin has an overhang so that the bottom of the bins
don't touch, leaving clarance for the grab arms. There is a problem
with parked cars, but I think they know the best times to pick up the
rubbish when most cars have gone.

Only _most_ cars? In my (shortish) street there must be at least half
a dozen cars parked at any time, day or night.
Then there's the problem of grass verges to contend with. Around here
at least, you're supposed to leave your wheelie bin (WB) just inside
your curtilage so this machine would have to reach around many parked
cars (and visiting cars parked on the highway), across the grass verge
(with some trees) and the footway... :-)
Quite a challenge!

I'm reasonably happy with a driver and four or five operatives
dragging WBs to the rear of the truck. Especially just before
Christmastide they make a reasonable job of puttiing the bin back
where it should be ;-)

Shortly 'we' are to receive a new (blue (dark; almost navy)) WB for
recyclable stuff to replace a very basic box into which you're
supposed to dump newspapers, 'tin' cans and (unbroken) glass jars and
bottles. Apparently the new WBs have a sort of basket insert for
certain items and they'll accept some sorts of plastics - an insert
sounds like an awful lot of trouble with broken/missing bits.

Just to confuse everybody the original WB for general stuff is green
in colour; the second one, for garden ("green") waste like grass
clippings, overgrown things, weeds et. al. is actually brown in
colour.

I usually dump all my recyclable stuff (apart from cells/batteries
(which I just dump in general waste (at the advice of the LA)))) in
designated receptacles in JS' carpark.

--
Frank Erskine
Sunderland

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.
See pictures of the process here, taken last Friday:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2dt6bzk.jpg

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of. How precisely does the bin have to be positioned on the
pavement for the machine to collect it? What happens if it's facing
the "wrong" way?

It doesn't matter which way around the bin is or where it is.
The top of the bin has an overhang so that the bottom of the bins
don't touch, leaving clarance for the grab arms. There is a problem
with parked cars, but I think they know the best times to pick up the
rubbish when most cars have gone.

Only _most_ cars? In my (shortish) street there must be at least half
a dozen cars parked at any time, day or night.

Well I'm in NZ. Four million people in a country the size of the UK.
There's plenty of room here. I can fit six cars on my property so
there's seldom need to park on the road.

Shortly 'we' are to receive a new (blue (dark; almost navy)) WB for
recyclable stuff to replace a very basic box into which you're
supposed to dump newspapers, 'tin' cans and (unbroken) glass jars and
bottles. Apparently the new WBs have a sort of basket insert for
certain items and they'll accept some sorts of plastics - an insert
sounds like an awful lot of trouble with broken/missing bits.

It seems that my council is able to sort out a mixture of paper,
cardboard, bottles broken or not, tins that aren't very clean, and
plastic bottles of all kinds even with their lids on. Basically
anything with a recycle mark on it, except for foam plastic. It would
be really easy to separate out foam plastic, and it could be used for
insulating house concrete foundations etc, but they don't want it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
Dave wrote:

but that required manual handling with the risk of repetitive strain
injuries.

That didn't bother them before wheelie bins.

Quite. When I were a lad the bin man would go through to the back garden,
pick up the metal bin, carry it on his back to the road, tip it over his
shoulder into the bin waggon then put the bin back where he found it in the
back garden.

You missed out one bit - they'd actually walk down nextdoor's drive and
climb over the fence to get our bin from the back garden!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 21:10:27 +0100, Mike Barnes wrote:

Piers Finlayson :
What I don't want to do is wheel a wheelie bin 100 yards up and down a
steep, uneven drive every week.

Do what a friend of mine did - drive it there by popping the handle over
your tow hook.

When I was in hospital last week I was fascinated by the motor
attachments for the beds, steered and controlled by a pistol grip handle.
Perhaps someone ought to market one to attach to a wheelie bin...

You've just given me a great idea. We have to put the bins out the night
before, as they collect any time from 06:30 and I'm still in the
bathroom then - neve mind a motorised bin, I want a automatic one that
will put itself out if I forget!

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steve Walker
writes
You've just given me a great idea. We have to put the bins out the
night before, as they collect any time from 06:30 and I'm still in the
bathroom then - neve mind a motorised bin, I want a automatic one that
will put itself out if I forget!

Oh yes please ! :-)

--
Chris French