Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matty F Matty F is offline

Default wheelie bins

On Aug 10, 11:22 am, Frank Erskine
wrote:
On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:19:50 -0700 (PDT), Matty F
wrote:
On Aug 10, 2:53 am, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:
It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.
See pictures of the process here, taken last Friday:
http://i36.tinypic.com/2dt6bzk.jpg

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of. How precisely does the bin have to be positioned on the
pavement for the machine to collect it? What happens if it's facing
the "wrong" way?

It doesn't matter which way around the bin is or where it is.
The top of the bin has an overhang so that the bottom of the bins
don't touch, leaving clarance for the grab arms. There is a problem
with parked cars, but I think they know the best times to pick up the
rubbish when most cars have gone.

Only _most_ cars? In my (shortish) street there must be at least half
a dozen cars parked at any time, day or night.

Well I'm in NZ. Four million people in a country the size of the UK.
There's plenty of room here. I can fit six cars on my property so
there's seldom need to park on the road.

Shortly 'we' are to receive a new (blue (dark; almost navy)) WB for
recyclable stuff to replace a very basic box into which you're
supposed to dump newspapers, 'tin' cans and (unbroken) glass jars and
bottles. Apparently the new WBs have a sort of basket insert for
certain items and they'll accept some sorts of plastics - an insert
sounds like an awful lot of trouble with broken/missing bits.

It seems that my council is able to sort out a mixture of paper,
cardboard, bottles broken or not, tins that aren't very clean, and
plastic bottles of all kinds even with their lids on. Basically
anything with a recycle mark on it, except for foam plastic. It would
be really easy to separate out foam plastic, and it could be used for
insulating house concrete foundations etc, but they don't want it.