Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jules Richardson Jules Richardson is offline

Default wheelie bins

On Mon, 09 Aug 2010 16:13:31 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:47:55 -0700 (PDT), Matty F wrote:

It takes less than 8 seconds for my bin to be emptied.

They don't have machines like that over here, at least not that I am
aware of.

Would be a bit futile with the number of parked cars in a lot of places,
I suspect. If I happen to be at home when either the road or path
sweeper are doing the rounds they have to drive past huge stretches due
to people parked halfway on the road/path.

In the nearby town here, they alternate which side of the road you're
allowed to park on during business hours - just so they can guarantee
that a particular side will be clear* on a given day for sweeping /
refuse collection / snow clearing etc.

* almost, anyway - there are always one or two folk who forget, but I
think the fine each time is around $30.

Council refuse collection's an optional extra over here - and I don't
think they come out as far as where we live anyway, although there are a
couple of private companies that do. We just haul our own to the dump as
needed (and recyclables go to a collection point at a local petrol
station, and garden waste goes to either the compost heap or into the
woods)