Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sticky tap

My cold water tap is a bit spongy, when I turn it off it kind a creeps back
a part turn and starts dripping unless I turn off very tightly.

What is likely cause and fix.

it is a normal tap, not a mixer or ceramic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

SS wrote:
My cold water tap is a bit spongy, when I turn it off it kind a creeps back
a part turn and starts dripping unless I turn off very tightly.

What is likely cause and fix.

it is a normal tap, not a mixer or ceramic.

Could be that the washer has gone spongy or maybe the seat has got a
little pitted and the washer is not sliding smoothly over the seat as it
seals.

A quick examination of the washer should show you what is happening. a
good washer will be relatively hard and show a shallow impression of the
seat without and pips or craters.

If the seat is damaged then you can get a re-seating tool to clean it up
in situ rather than buy a new (pair) of taps.

hth

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 1, 3:56*pm, Bob Minchin
wrote:
SS wrote:
My cold water tap is a bit spongy, when I turn it off it kind a creeps back
a part turn and starts dripping unless I turn off very tightly.

What is likely cause and fix.

it is a normal tap, not a mixer or ceramic.

Could be that the washer has gone spongy or maybe the seat has got a
little pitted and the washer is not sliding smoothly over the seat as it
seals.

A quick examination of the washer should show you what is happening. a
good washer will be relatively hard and show a shallow impression of the
seat without and pips or craters.

If the seat is damaged then you can get a re-seating tool to clean it up
in situ rather than buy a new (pair) of taps.

hth

Bob

You'll find out whats up when you open the tap up. You'll ned a new
washer, and maybe a descale, and not very likely, a seat regrind.

NT

O/T: Sticky Lew Hodgett[_6_] Woodworking 12 July 21st 10 12:05 AM
Sticky Floor SamanthaBooth UK diy 19 April 26th 08 04:46 PM
STICKY-TILES No Name Home Repair 10 August 11th 07 12:23 AM
Help with sticky surfaces Dan-the-K Woodworking 15 June 2nd 06 03:15 PM
Sticky TRV Tom Robinson UK diy 2 December 18th 04 08:33 PM