Posted to rec.woodworking

Default O/T: Sticky

At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 7/16/2010 4:34 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

And at 17:05 hours, it's 109 outside my window, dew point 52, humidity 15%.

This is Phoenix AZ in July.

Yes, it too shall pass.

Matt
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:34:25 -0700, Matt wrote:

On 7/16/2010 4:34 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

And at 17:05 hours, it's 109 outside my window, dew point 52, humidity 15%.

This is Phoenix AZ in July.

Yes, it too shall pass.

Matt

I guess this is yet another reminder that Arizona is better off than
California.

Not to mention the fact that Arizona doesn't have Lew.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jul 16, 8:47*pm, Gordon Shumway wrote:
On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 17:34:25 -0700, Matt wrote:
On 7/16/2010 4:34 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

And at 17:05 hours, it's 109 outside my window, dew point 52, humidity 15%.

This is Phoenix AZ in July.

Yes, it too shall pass.

Matt

I guess this is yet another reminder that Arizona is better off than
California.

Not to mention the fact that Arizona doesn't have Lew.

Lew doesn't have the right papers to live in Az.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4c40ec96$0$13653
:

At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

Our high was only 88F, but we've got a heat advisory because of the
humidity. I'm trying to figure out a way to cool the garshop without
spending a couple of grand on a whole HVAC system.

Whole house fans are looking attractive, but I'm not sure if there's enough
ventillation of the attic space to make it worthwhile. If I have to run a
dehumidifier I might as well go with AC.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 17 Jul 2010 02:35:14 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4c40ec96$0$13653
:

At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

Our high was only 88F, but we've got a heat advisory because of the
humidity. I'm trying to figure out a way to cool the garshop without
spending a couple of grand on a whole HVAC system.

Whole house fans are looking attractive, but I'm not sure if there's enough
ventillation of the attic space to make it worthwhile. If I have to run a
dehumidifier I might as well go with AC.

Puckdropper

A dehumidifier will raise the temperature in an enclosed space, so you
might want A/C instead.

John
Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, I have noticed that with the cheap ones, especially. The room gets
hotter while the humidity gets out.

Those portable ones with the hoses going out the window look like a good
idea. A bit expensive yet but a small one could be moved into the shop or
wherever you want / need and it would dehumidify without the room heating.

The pros always try to talk you into central A/C that is rated too small.
"keeps the humidity down".

I was told by a friend in the A/C business not to do that. The scenario is:
You like the windows open on the nice days (who doesn't?) and then one day
is starts getting hotter than hell and you finaly stick your head outside
only to find it is hotter than blazing hell!.

CLose the windows
Turn on the A/C
The unit doesn't have the BTU rating to get the humidity out and lower the
temperatue for about two days.
Toss and turn at night...too humid and damp
Wake up at 4 AM with all the covers off hacking and coughing 'cause you're
froze!
Sore throat for a week...A/C cough for the summer.

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Matt wrote:

On 7/16/2010 4:34 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

And at 17:05 hours, it's 109 outside my window, dew point 52, humidity
15%.

This is Phoenix AZ in July.

Yes, it too shall pass.

Matt

Same here in Tucson. My Fedders shop A/C crapped out last Sunday. Had
turned it on before leaving for church to get the shop cool for the
afternoon, when we got back from lunch, it wasn't running. Initial
troubleshooting showed that the compressor was running fine, but the
squirrel cage and coil fans were barely moving (they run off the same
motor). Took it out and took it in today. Turns out Fedders went bankrupt
3 years ago. If they can find an NOS (New, older stock) fan, it would be
about $50 to $100 plus diagnostics plus labor. If not, a new fan would cost
$300+ plus the diagnostics plus labor. So, I'm now looking for a new 1 ton
window unit. The shop was 105 this afternoon, with the humidity, it's not a
fun place to spend time right now.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 16:34:46 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"
wrote:

At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for
the "humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South
Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Lew

Been really humid in Baja this week.. 2 ton AC in the shop and can't get the
temp comfortable..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sticky

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
At 16:00 hours, it's 94F outside my window, which is NBD, except for the
"humanditity".

This is SoCal, basically a paved desert, not wetlands like South Florida.

Humidity is not in SoCal DNA.

Oh well, and this to shall pass.

Not likely to pass, with all your green goings on you have wiped out the
elements that kept humidity out. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sticky - Update

Did you ever work in Port Huron?
Posted to rec.woodworking

Nope.
Retired from the Northeast (Boston)

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Jul 19, 6:47 pm, "Ed Ahern" wrote:

Did you ever work in Port Huron?

Paint won't dry - still sticky al Home Repair 11 February 16th 18 01:50 AM
Sticky Floor SamanthaBooth UK diy 19 April 26th 08 04:46 PM
Sticky windows ---MIKE--- Home Repair 2 January 13th 08 11:31 PM
sticky table top [email protected] Woodworking 0 October 12th 05 04:49 PM
Sticky TRV Tom Robinson UK diy 2 December 18th 04 08:33 PM