Tom Robinson

Default Sticky TRV

One of the TRVs (Thermostat Radiator Valves??) in my flat is sticking.
Is it safe to have a go at dismantling it without draining the central
heating system? It's a "Terrier II" in case anyone knows them, I
expect they're fairly common. How do I take it to bits?

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond
Andy Hall

On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 20:04:03 +0000, Tom Robinson
wrote:

One of the TRVs (Thermostat Radiator Valves??) in my flat is sticking.
Is it safe to have a go at dismantling it without draining the central
heating system? It's a "Terrier II" in case anyone knows them, I
expect they're fairly common. How do I take it to bits?

You can take the head assembly off of the base of the valve by
loosening the ring at the bottom of the head.

If the sticking is the pin in the valve base then you can try pushing
it a few times using a block of wood and see whether it frees up. If
not, then the valve base should be replaced, and of course that is a
drain down job. The heads are not really repairable.

If you have to replace, often it is cheaper to buy the complete valve
with head and base

--

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Tom Robinson

wrote:

One of the TRVs (Thermostat Radiator Valves??) in my flat is sticking.
Is it safe to have a go at dismantling it without draining the central
heating system? It's a "Terrier II" in case anyone knows them, I
expect they're fairly common. How do I take it to bits?

You can take the head assembly off of the base of the valve by
loosening the ring at the bottom of the head.

If the sticking is the pin in the valve base then you can try pushing
it a few times using a block of wood and see whether it frees up. If
not, then the valve base should be replaced, and of course that is a
drain down job. The heads are not really repairable.

If you have to replace, often it is cheaper to buy the complete valve
with head and base

Fantastic, it's nice and warm in here now! )

I took it off and the radiator became belting hot within minutes.
Must remember to put it back on before the landlord comes round next
time. Actually, I think I'll just swap this one with one in
another room actually and see what happens.

Cheers!

--

remove 'spamfree.' to respond