Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

Default STICKY-TILES

Small "powder room" with beat looking vinyl floor covering.

We got a box of sticky-tiles at Home Depot.
Scrubbed and rinsed the old surface.
Waited a weekend for it to dry,
then put down the new tiles.

A few weeks later, the tiles are lifting.
????

Anything special I should've done to the old covering
to make the new tiles adhere better ?
I hesitate running a sander over the floor.....

For what its worth, the box says "Made in China"
( maybe they haven't mastered the concept of sticky-tiles? )

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

I don't think in my 58 years on the planet that I've ever seen that
work.
I don't think anyone has that down.

On Aug 9, 7:13 am, "RJ" wrote:
Small "powder room" with beat looking vinyl floor covering.

We got a box of sticky-tiles at Home Depot.
Scrubbed and rinsed the old surface.

Waited a weekend for it to dry,
then put down the new tiles.

A few weeks later, the tiles are lifting.
????

Anything special I should've done to the old covering
to make the new tiles adhere better ?
I hesitate running a sander over the floor.....

For what its worth, the box says "Made in China"
( maybe they haven't mastered the concept of sticky-tiles? )

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 7:13 am, "RJ" wrote:
Small "powder room" with beat looking vinyl floor covering.

We got a box of sticky-tiles at Home Depot.
Scrubbed and rinsed the old surface.
Waited a weekend for it to dry,
then put down the new tiles.

A few weeks later, the tiles are lifting.
????

Anything special I should've done to the old covering
to make the new tiles adhere better ?
I hesitate running a sander over the floor.....

For what its worth, the box says "Made in China"
( maybe they haven't mastered the concept of sticky-tiles? )

rj

Self stick vinyl tile sucks over anything but a pristine surface, no
matter what country it's made in. To mastic the new stuff or do it
right at this point will both require ripping up something, so you may
as well do it right. Pull the toilet, sink and baseboard, rip off the
old flooring, (a 6 foot iron wrecking bar with a chisel point is good
for this, forgot what they are called). Get down to a good subfloor
(or mortar bed if old house) and tile properly from there. You may
need a layer of 1/4 inch tile backer, there are some nice new non-
cement-based wet backers available, or just 1/4 inch masonite for
powder room.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 9, 8:13 am, "RJ" wrote:
Small "powder room" with beat looking vinyl floor covering.

We got a box of sticky-tiles at Home Depot.
Scrubbed and rinsed the old surface.
Waited a weekend for it to dry,
then put down the new tiles.

A few weeks later, the tiles are lifting.
????

Anything special I should've done to the old covering
to make the new tiles adhere better ?
I hesitate running a sander over the floor.....

For what its worth, the box says "Made in China"
( maybe they haven't mastered the concept of sticky-tiles? )

rj

I have had good results by priming the floor with polyuerethane and
applying self stick tiles after a couple days drying, very hard to
remove after.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm just wondering if there was any wax on the floor.
Also, how textured the floor was that it was applied over.

--
Kate
______

"Never let a stranger in your cab, your house, your life
- unless he is a friend of labor"

Jimmy Hoffa
-----------

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:26:30 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

I'm just wondering if there was any wax on the floor.
Also, how textured the floor was that it was applied over.

Wife stripped the old floor surface using a household cleaner.

( Mr. CLEAN ?? )

Very slight texture on the old floor.
I'm not sure they make "glass-smooth"
floor covering any more... too slippery.

rj
Posted to alt.home.repair

That MIGHT have done it, though good old sudsy ammonia would have been
better.
Seems to me that it should have stuck.

Have you thought about any of the suggestions that have been offered?

Kate

"RJ" wrote in message
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:26:30 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

I'm just wondering if there was any wax on the floor.
Also, how textured the floor was that it was applied over.

Wife stripped the old floor surface using a household cleaner.

( Mr. CLEAN ?? )

Very slight texture on the old floor.
I'm not sure they make "glass-smooth"
floor covering any more... too slippery.

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair
No Name

I like the idea of priming the floor
with a polyurethane varnish. ( I would use "flat" )
Then put down the spare tiles.

Second idea is to chuck it all,
buy an appropriate tough carpet,
and cut it to size......
( how do you find one that doesn't fray ? )

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 10:42:40 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

That MIGHT have done it, though good old sudsy ammonia would have been
better.
Seems to me that it should have stuck.

Have you thought about any of the suggestions that have been offered?

Kate

"RJ" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:26:30 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

I'm just wondering if there was any wax on the floor.
Also, how textured the floor was that it was applied over.

Wife stripped the old floor surface using a household cleaner.

( Mr. CLEAN ?? )

Very slight texture on the old floor.
I'm not sure they make "glass-smooth"
floor covering any more... too slippery.

rj

rj

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

beecrofter wrote:

snip

I hesitate running a sander over the floor.....

Might be your best way to get rid of interfering texture. If so, rent
a random obital sander. They remove material surprisingly fast and
usually have a hose to connect to your vacuum to take care of the
dust.

I have had good results by priming the floor with polyuerethane and
applying self stick tiles after a couple days drying, very hard to
remove after.

Second the motion on that procedure. I've had outstanding results with
polyurethane over decent plywood. Always touch sand it a bit to get
the level.

Joe